Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
ebooks.adelaide Mobi Conversion Failures

The University of Adelaide offers free ebooks, formatted mostly in separate html chapters. http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/

When attempting to use Calibre to convert these html segments to Mobibook, I get the following error details:

(To get around this difficulty I have followed the fairly convoluted alternative method of downloading the same titles from Gutenberg in txt format, converting to html using GUItenMark, then having Calibre convert that html file to Mobibook, which works fine.)

Has anyone an explanation why one html conversion works and the other doesn't?

Convert book 1 of 1 (u'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (Chapter1)')
InputFormatPlugin: HTML Input running on C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents\My Books\eBook Library\Edward Gibbon\Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (Ch (143)\Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (Ch - Edward Gibbon.html
Language not specified
Creator not specified
Building file list...
IgnoreFile(u"Could not read from file: C:\\Documents and Settings\\Compaq_Owner\\My Documents\\My Books\\eBook Library\\Edward Gibbon\\Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (Ch (143)\\index.html with error: (2, 'No such file or directory')",)
IgnoreFile(u"Could not read from file: C:\\Documents and Settings\\Compaq_Owner\\My Documents\\My Books\\eBook Library\\Edward Gibbon\\Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (Ch (143)\\chapter2.html with error: (2, 'No such file or directory')",)
Found files...
HTMLFile:0:a:C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents\My Books\eBook Library\Edward Gibbon\Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (Ch (143)\Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (Ch - Edward Gibbon.html
Parsing Decline%20and%20Fall%20of%20the%20Roman%20Empire%2 0%28Ch%20-%20Edward%20Gibbon.html ...
Stripping comments and meta tags from Decline%20and%20Fall%20of%20the%20Roman%20Empire%2 0%28Ch%20-%20Edward%20Gibbon.html
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "worker.py", line 103, in <module>
File "worker.py", line 90, in main
File "calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.pyo", line 17, in gui_convert
File "calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.pyo", line 599, in run
File "calibre\customize\conversion.pyo", line 213, in __call__
File "calibre\ebooks\html\input.pyo", line 284, in convert
File "calibre\ebooks\html\input.pyo", line 356, in create_oebbook
File "calibre\ebooks\oeb\base.pyo", line 947, in fget
File "calibre\ebooks\oeb\base.pyo", line 812, in _parse_xhtml
File "lxml.etree.pyx", line 2440, in lxml.etree.fromstring (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:23985)
File "parser.pxi", line 1510, in lxml.etree._parseMemoryDocument (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:63925)
File "parser.pxi", line 1382, in lxml.etree._parseDoc (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:62795)
File "parser.pxi", line 891, in lxml.etree._BaseParser._parseUnicodeDoc (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:59726)
File "parser.pxi", line 542, in lxml.etree._ParserContext._handleParseResultDoc (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:56659)
File "parser.pxi", line 628, in lxml.etree._handleParseResult (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:57504)
File "parser.pxi", line 568, in lxml.etree._raiseParseError (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:56902)
lxml.etree.XMLSyntaxError: Attribute xm
ascherjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As the error message indicates the adelaide HTMl contains some invalid syntax that calibre's parser cannot compensate for. The output of GutenMark doesn't. If you post the html that causes the problem, I'lls ee if I can cook up a workaround
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
As the error message indicates the adelaide HTMl contains some invalid syntax that calibre's parser cannot compensate for. The output of GutenMark doesn't. If you post the html that causes the problem, I'lls ee if I can cook up a workaround
Thanks for such a quick response. You may well ask why, if I can download the same titles from Gutenberg, I wish to bother with Adelaide. The answer is that I sometimes wish to download separate short stories from an entire book, or (as in this case) separate chapters from a large text. (Of course, I can -- and have -- downloaded entire Gutenberg books in the txt format, copied to my word processor, edited out the unwanted 90% of the material(!), then save back as an abridged txt file and converted it to html then to Mobipocket, as described in my initial posting. Very convoluted, indeed!

Anyway, my failed experience with the Adelaide titles seems to ALWAYS be the case, so I suggest that you just download from their site any title you want and see what the problem is and hopefully rectify it. Again, many thanks, and regards, Jim
Old 07-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
Thanks for such a quick response. You may well ask why, if I can download the same titles from Gutenberg, I wish to bother with Adelaide. The answer is that I sometimes wish to download separate short stories from an entire book, or (as in this case) separate chapters from a large text. (Of course, I can -- and have -- downloaded entire Gutenberg books in the txt format, copied to my word processor, edited out the unwanted 90% of the material(!), then save back as an abridged txt file and converted it to html then to Mobipocket, as described in my initial posting. Very convoluted, indeed!

Anyway, my failed experience with the Adelaide titles seems to ALWAYS be the case, so I suggest that you just download from their site any title you want and see what the problem is and hopefully rectify it. Again, many thanks, and regards, Jim
Kovidgoyal: Have you had an opportunity yet to follow up further in this matter? You seem to be coping with quite a few other queries of probably more pressing need at this time, so I'm really in no special hurry. Thanks and regards.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Ascherjm,

If I may offer a hint for you.

You have asked Kovidgoyal to download from their site any book and see what happens. Unfortunately, we all have him running around like crazy trying to add special requests and fixes for each of us - all out of his own time. From your description, I can see that you know how much of a hassle it is to go through 'a few extra steps' of a work around of downloading from Gutenberg and editing the book to what you want. Likewise, asking him to find adelaide, figure out their search system and download a book in order to do you a favor raises the bar on his task. Imagine the horror if he downloads the one book that doesn't have your problem [grin]. And all of this for free since Calibre is free software.

Now, I'm probably guilty of mind-reading and putting words in his mouth. However, you could probably get better response if you would do the work for him to find a book and post it directly here for him. Then he could concentrate in the programming that he does so well instead of the fetch and carry work!
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Ascherjm,

If I may offer a hint for you.

You have asked Kovidgoyal to download from their site any book and see what happens. Unfortunately, we all have him running around like crazy trying to add special requests and fixes for each of us - all out of his own time. From your description, I can see that you know how much of a hassle it is to go through 'a few extra steps' of a work around of downloading from Gutenberg and editing the book to what you want. Likewise, asking him to find adelaide, figure out their search system and download a book in order to do you a favor raises the bar on his task. Imagine the horror if he downloads the one book that doesn't have your problem [grin]. And all of this for free since Calibre is free software.

Now, I'm probably guilty of mind-reading and putting words in his mouth. However, you could probably get better response if you would do the work for him to find a book and post it directly here for him. Then he could concentrate in the programming that he does so well instead of the fetch and carry work!
Emellaich: Your point is well taken. However, I'm not certain I know how to "post a book" in this forum. Here is the url of a sample Adelaide book that I've had this problem with, but I'm not certain if that's what will work or is needed. Here it is:

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/j/joyce/james/j8d/

Please be assured that I am sensitive to the burden many of us are placing on Kovidgoyal, and I don't wish to be an unreasonable further burden. I just didn't know exactly how to provide him with the information he initially requested of me -- and I still don't. But I am trying. Thanks for your understandable concern. Regards, Jim
Old 07-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That file converts with my current install of calibre, so it should work for you with calibre 0.6b12 and higher
Old 07-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
That file converts with my current install of calibre, so it should work for you with calibre 0.6b12 and higher
Kovidgoyal: Great. I'll give it a try as soon as you post b12 and I can download and install it. Again, many thanks. Jim
Old 07-11-2009, 02:09 AM   #9
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Kovidgoyal: Great. I'll give it a try as soon as you post b12 and I can download and install it. Again, many thanks. Jim
Kovidgoyal: I downloaded and installed b12 and again attempted to convert an Adelaide html title, with the same failed results. Details are below. Maybe we'd better just give up on this. I don't want to take up anymore of your time. Many thanks. Jim

Convert book 1 of 1 (u'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (Chapter1)')
InputFormatPlugin: HTML Input running on C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents\My Books\eBook Library\Edward Gibbon\Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (Ch (147)\Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (Ch - Edward Gibbon.html
Language not specified
Creator not specified
Building file list...
IgnoreFile(u"Could not read from file: C:\\Documents and Settings\\Compaq_Owner\\My Documents\\My Books\\eBook Library\\Edward Gibbon\\Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (Ch (147)\\index.html with error: (2, 'No such file or directory')",)
IgnoreFile(u"Could not read from file: C:\\Documents and Settings\\Compaq_Owner\\My Documents\\My Books\\eBook Library\\Edward Gibbon\\Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (Ch (147)\\chapter2.html with error: (2, 'No such file or directory')",)
Found files...
HTMLFile:0:a:C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents\My Books\eBook Library\Edward Gibbon\Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (Ch (147)\Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (Ch - Edward Gibbon.html
Parsing Decline%20and%20Fall%20of%20the%20Roman%20Empire%2 0%28Ch%20-%20Edward%20Gibbon.html ...
Stripping comments and meta tags from Decline%20and%20Fall%20of%20the%20Roman%20Empire%2 0%28Ch%20-%20Edward%20Gibbon.html
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "worker.py", line 103, in <module>
File "worker.py", line 90, in main
File "calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.pyo", line 17, in gui_convert
File "calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.pyo", line 638, in run
File "calibre\customize\conversion.pyo", line 213, in __call__
File "calibre\ebooks\html\input.pyo", line 284, in convert
File "calibre\ebooks\html\input.pyo", line 358, in create_oebbook
File "calibre\ebooks\oeb\base.pyo", line 935, in fget
File "calibre\ebooks\oeb\base.pyo", line 814, in _parse_xhtml
File "lxml.etree.pyx", line 2440, in lxml.etree.fromstring (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:23985)
File "parser.pxi", line 1510, in lxml.etree._parseMemoryDocument (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:63925)
File "parser.pxi", line 1382, in lxml.etree._parseDoc (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:62795)
File "parser.pxi", line 891, in lxml.etree._BaseParser._parseUnicodeDoc (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:59726)
File "parser.pxi", line 542, in lxml.etree._ParserContext._handleParseResultDoc (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:56659)
File "parser.pxi", line 628, in lxml.etree._handleParseResult (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:57504)
File "parser.pxi", line 568, in lxml.etree._raiseParseError (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:56902)
lxml.etree.XMLSyntaxError: Attribute xmlns redefined, line 1, column 23
Old 07-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

zip up your downloaded HTML files into a single zip file and attach them here or to a ticket on the calibre website and I'll take a look. What program are you using to download them?
Old 07-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #11
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
zip up your downloaded HTML files into a single zip file and attach them here or to a ticket on the calibre website and I'll take a look. What program are you using to download them?
Kovid: I'm not certain I'm attaching this right, but am giving it a try. I use Windows XP, with Firefox as my browser, and extract zipped file with 7-Zip. Many thanks, again. Jim

Kovid: IGNORE THIS MESSAGE. I NEED TO RESOLVE SOMETHING. Sorry, Jim
Attached Files
File Type: zip 890-h.zip (399.1 KB, 260 views)

Last edited by ascherjim; 07-11-2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Initially sent wrong zip file
Old 07-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

In the rror message you posted, the error occurs in parsing the file

Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire 28Ch - Edward Gibbon.html

Just zip up and attach that file
Old 07-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #13
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Kovid: I'm not certain I'm attaching this right, but am giving it a try. I use Windows XP, with Firefox as my browser, and extract zipped file with 7-Zip. Many thanks, again. Jim

Kovid: IGNORE THIS MESSAGE. I NEED TO RESOLVE SOMETHING. Sorry, Jim
Kovid: I inadvertently sent you the wrong zipped file (an alternate version I had successfully downloaded and converted from Gutenberg). Here's the correct Adelaide file:

g43d.zip

Chapter One from this is the html file that I've failed at converting to Mobipocket with Calibre.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Will be fixed in next beta
Old 07-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #15
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Will be fixed in next beta
Wonderful! Thanks. Jim