Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #2011
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Are the Dresden comics any good, or are they just garbage designed to prey on our need to buy All Things Dresden?

BTW I finally got -- and finished -- Taken (Alex Verus, Book 3) and it was as good as I hoped.

Spoiler:
Some real crazy stuff going on there. Poor guy though -- I think Benedict must hate Alex as much as Jim hates Harry. Not everyone finds vampire(like beings) after they went extinct.

And if Onyx turns out to STILL be alive I will scream.

Can't wait for Book 4 to come out.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #2012
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Am I dense this morning? My poor overtaxed brain can't seem to attach a meaning to 'RL'?!?

I remember reading Furies of Calderon after pretty much forcing myself to start reading it. When I was through reading it I then read the remaining five books back to back and was sorry that it was over when I was done. Who knew?!

Me and graphic novels don't play well together at all, but in the past I have checked some out and found Comixology to be economical. Or you could try Comic Shop Locator.

RL = Real Life

I actually wasn't allowed to read comics growing up. My parents felt they were both a wast of money and intelligence. So this is all "new" to me. I've recently started reading Manga, and thought I'd give this particular set of graphic novels a try.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #2013
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Comics & Graphic Novels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
RL = Real Life
...DUH!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I actually wasn't allowed to read comics growing up. My parents felt they were both a waste of money and intelligence. So this is all "new" to me. I've recently started reading Manga, and thought I'd give this particular set of graphic novels a try.
Ah...reminds me of my parents and how they only purchased for me and allowed me to read comics from Disney! One day I was allowed, by the adult in charge of the (what was referred to as the nursery) where I stayed at my folks' church after attending sunday school, while my parents attended the church service, to bring home a comic book that I'd been reading there. It was a Batman comic!!! Holy Moley!! When my mom spotted that comic did the fur ever fly!

Anyway, enough fond reminiscing of my childhood. My recent adult foray into the modern 'Graphic Novel' didn't last very long. I simply didn't appreciate the product.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #2014
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Are the Dresden comics any good, or are they just garbage designed to prey on our need to buy All Things Dresden?
Do you actually like graphic novels and / or comic books? If so, then you will probably like reading the comic adaptation of the Dresden books (which most are). The "Welcome to the Jungle" set was pretty good as an original offering. I haven't tried the newest "Ghoul Goblin" series to comment on it.

My biggest gripe is the frequency the publisher puts them out: by the time the next issue is out, I have completely forgotten the previous one existed.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #2015
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Attention DFRPG Nerds

Quoted from jim-butcher.com
Spoiler:

Quote:
May 22, 2013 - Attention DFRPG Nerds: Want your stats for Harry in the Paranet Papers?

This is a repost of the Dresden Files RPG: Paranet Papers statblocking contest from here. Still plenty of time to enter before the end of the month!

You know how it is. You’re talking with your nerdy friends over a beverage of choice. You’re about to game or you just finished gaming. Dice are out; pizza’s almost gone. Then, cutting into a brief silence, someone says it:

“Well, clearly, Harry would have 26 refresh by now.”

And that is so wrong, right? I mean, we don’t have to assume that every novel is a major turning point for his character sheet. In fact, you could argue that he spends three whole books at relatively the same level of power and…

…and then it’s on. The geekiest of geeky conversations: how do we stat up a character that everyone knows and loves? It is the greatest crucible in licensed RPGs, because it reveals the very heart of fandom, and everyone’s got a different take.

Today, we offer you a chance to show us the heart of your fandom.

Your task: A statblock for Harry Dresden–as he appears at the beginning of Changes–for the award-winning Dresden Files Roleplaying Game.

The prize: A copy of Dresden Files RPG Vol. 3: The Paranet Papers, where the statblock is going to be published, credit in the book, and eternal bragging rights. (approximate retail value $35)

How this is going to work:

* You make a statblock for Harry Dresden and post it somewhere on the Internet. Your blog, tumblr, the official forums, some other forum, whatever – get it out there. Include a link to this post with your submission so people don’t think you’ve completely lost it.

* Fill out this form with a link to your statblock, so we can broadcast your submission to the world.

* A team of system heads and Dresden Files loremongers, led by Leonard Balsera, will evaluate the entries and choose the winner.

* Your name and statblock ends up in a book and you look awesome.

The criteria:

* Compatibility. The statblocks need generally to look like and work with all existing rules in the Dresden Files RPG. Format them like they appear in the rulebooks. That said, if you need to invent a power or something to make it work, do so and include the power writeup with your submission.

* System Accuracy. Have the right number of aspects, make sure all the math works out, etc. Also, where necessary, show your work – tell us how you arrived at a particular set of bonuses and whatnot.

* Setting Knowledge. Harry’s been through a lot since we statted him up for Storm Front. Your statblock represents the definitive picture of that character at the beginning of Changes, and your design choices should reflect your knowledge of what has happened to the character. (Yes, that means you’re responsible for including all of Harry’s amassed magical gear.)

The fine print:

* You have from now till 5/31/2013 to get submissions in.

* Your submission will go through the standard editing and development process that we do to ourselves, which means it might not appear exactly as you wrote it, even if you win.

* If taking pieces-parts of multiple submissions seems to be the best way to get at the statblock, there may be multiple winners.

* No one currently working on a project for Evil Hat Productions, Dresden Files or otherwise, can submit to this contest.

* You may submit as a team. If you know a lot about the Dresden Files setting, but aren’t as game-savvy, and you want to hook up with someone who is, go for it!

* The winning entry will become the sole property of Evil Hat. All other entries will remain the sole property of their creator.

Submit entries here!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-10-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #2016
KayLee
Zealot
KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST & iPad Air2
I find something new on this site everyday =)
I just got the first 10 novel but now that I read this thread my question is am I going to be lost without reading the side stories as well?
KayLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #2017
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Side Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayLee View Post
I find something new on this site everyday =)
I just got the first 10 novel but now that I read this thread my question is am I going to be lost without reading the side stories as well?
Nope, not at all, but I do highly recommend them anyway. Though reading them later is really just as good.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #2018
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Book Review: Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Jun 12, 2011 - TheLadyKaylah - My Opinion on the book Storm Front (the first book of the Dresden Files)
Twitter:
Facebook:

Last edited by alansplace; 05-24-2013 at 01:49 AM. Reason: add links
Old 05-24-2013, 03:55 AM   #2019
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
I have not read Dresden books but notice this huge thread.

Will try one out. Suggestions welcome.

A question: was there TV show?
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #2020
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
I have not read Dresden books but notice this huge thread.

Will try one out. Suggestions welcome.

A question: was there TV show?
Storm Front will probably not blow your mind--I found it fun but not as awesome as some of the later books. It is the first one, though, and the series is probably best read in order. It's not absolutely critical and Butcher does catch you up a bit in each book, but you'll appreciate the character relationships more if you get them from the start, I think.

And yes, there was a 2-season TV series, but a lot of Dresden fans would rather not mention it. I liked it well enough for what it was, but it didn't inspire me to pick up the books--this thread did that.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #2021
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool James Potter and the Morrigan Web

Quoted from
Quote:
No More Teasing... James Potter 4

All right, no more teasing: The official release of "James Potter and the Morrigan Web" will begin Sunday, July 7-- the day that the events in chapter one actually occur (albeit in the year 2020).

For those of you (and there are MANY) who weren't along for the ride during previous releases, here's how it works: I release one chapter per day via *[google james potter series]. This will continue for approximately a month (still haven't finalized the chapters, since the book isn't quite finished yet).

As always, conversations, conjecture and discussion regarding each day's chapters is encouraged-- and I will take active part in them, both here, on the James Potter Facebook Page, and the official James Potter forum, *[google grotto keep forum]

So spread the word! We're heading back to Hogwarts in a little over a month! And keep an eye out-- I will be releasing a new teaser trailer sometime this weekend! ONWARD!

*[I removed the links to comply with Mobileread rules concerning fanfic]

Last edited by alansplace; 05-24-2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: oops...
Old 05-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #2022
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Storm Front will probably not blow your mind--I found it fun but not as awesome as some of the later books. It is the first one, though, and the series is probably best read in order. It's not absolutely critical and Butcher does catch you up a bit in each book, but you'll appreciate the character relationships more if you get them from the start, I think.

And yes, there was a 2-season TV series, but a lot of Dresden fans would rather not mention it. I liked it well enough for what it was, but it didn't inspire me to pick up the books--this thread did that.
Thanks.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #2023
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Two seasons? AFAIK there is only one season.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #2024
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Two seasons? AFAIK there is only one season.
One season is correct.

I really wish they had given the show a proper try.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #2025
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Ha, shows how good my memory is. It just seems like the series managed to cover a lot of ground in its short life.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy