Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 05:38 AM   #1
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Folder support

I saw somewhere something about some alternate third-party UI / firmware for the PRS-505 which gave it lots of additional features including folder support (the only additional feature I care about).
Does something like that exist for the PRS-950 and if so is it dependable / bug-free / safe, is it customizeable (because I only need folder support and nothing else) and does it support a multi-level (hierarchical) folder structure ?
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:53 AM   #2
noxx
Enthusiast
noxx began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
PRS+ support the 950

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1598

But i would wait few days for the "right" flasher --> x50 base flasher

Last edited by noxx; 02-17-2011 at 05:57 AM.
noxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:05 AM   #3
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

What's a flasher ? Besides a guy in a trenchcoat who likes to show off his private parts ?
How about amutin ? boroda ? CFW ? porkupan ? Are they pervert flashers ?
What language is this ? Suahili ? I'm stumped.
So is it completely safe and does it support folders within folders ?

Last edited by Enkidu of Abydos; 02-17-2011 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:51 AM   #4
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu of Abydos View Post
What's a flasher ? Besides a guy in a trenchcoat who likes to show off his private parts ?
How about amutin ? boroda ? CFW ? porkupan ? Are they pervert flashers ?
What language is this ? Suahili ? I'm stumped.
So is it completely safe and does it support folders within folders ?
I'm not a native English speaker. My apologies.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
bbriand
Enthusiast
bbriand began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
What's a flasher
Flashing is a term used in the electronics field to indicate writing data to an Integrate Chip (IC). For example computer motherboards have a BIOS, an IC. When you download a new BIOS firmware from the manufacturer and install it onto your motherboard the term is called flashing the BIOS. The program used to write the firmware to the BIOS is called a flasher.

So a flasher is the software / program used to load data onto an Integrated Chip. In this case we are discussing the PRS Plus modified firmware and waiting until a program is developed to write (flash) the firmware to your ereader. This program is called a flasher.

I hope I didn't confuse you more. Here is some light reading:
http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/flash+BIOS

Good luck!
Bill
bbriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbriand View Post
Flashing is a term used in the electronics field to indicate writing data to an Integrate Chip (IC). For example computer motherboards have a BIOS, an IC. When you download a new BIOS firmware from the manufacturer and install it onto your motherboard the term is called flashing the BIOS. The program used to write the firmware to the BIOS is called a flasher.

So a flasher is the software / program used to load data onto an Integrated Chip. In this case we are discussing the PRS Plus modified firmware and waiting until a program is developed to write (flash) the firmware to your ereader. This program is called a flasher.

I hope I didn't confuse you more. Here is some light reading:
http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/flash+BIOS

Good luck!
Bill
I'm not that technically inept, in fact I think I'm above the average.
I know what flashing is, and although I haven't heard the term flasher before I guessed it was something to do with that.
But I didn't know you need a program to flash these readers, I thought you just download it, copy it into some special folder on the reader and then reboot it and it does the job of installing the firmware (copying it onto the chip).
Anyway so there's already a flasher for PRS-505 and a flasher for PRS-950 is in the works or what ?
And they are third-party ? But the new firmware for the PRS-505 comes from Sony ? How is the firmware from Sony supposed to be installed without a flasher ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxx View Post
PRS+ support the 950

www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1386716&postcount=1598

But i would wait few days for the "right" flasher --> x50 base flasher
What does the "right" flasher mean ? What's wrong with this one ? Is it that this one was made for older versions of the reader ?
And what do you mean by "base" flasher, is it some other kind of flasher ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
I'm not a native English speaker. My apologies.
No need to apologize, your English is fine. Besides being a native speaker doesn't matter much (look at my location), English is the international language today, not just belonging to a few countries.
My Suahili remark and the trenchcoat-flasher bit was my attempt at irony, I was trying to point out that the instructions on this thread and the other thread were very skimpy, full of acronyms and technical terms, and I need a much broader explanation.
So x50 I guess means PRS - 350 / 650 / 950 and CFW I'm guessing means Custom Firmware ?
Amutin / boroda / porkupan are custom firmware authors ?
And this sentence is unclear to me :

Quote:
Unpack corresponding launcher file into the root of internal memory. You should get test-startup folder if using launcher for boroda (porkupan) or simply test.sh if amutin.
You mean the CFW made by Amutin containts the file test.sh while the CFW made by boroda / porkupan contains the test-startup folder ?

And the forum on this link :

Quote:
1) Install CFW from amutin or boroda (found here)
is in Russian and written in cyrillic, and while I can read cyrillic (though badly) I don't speak a word of Russian (except for what I learned from American movies, like do svidanja comrade ). I could use Google translate but it's pretty horrible at it's job... Are there any instructions and detailed descriptions in English ? And a direct download link ?

And I don't understand why step 1) says "install CFW from..." and then steps 2-5 basically say install PRS+, so you're installing two firmwares, how come ?

Quote:
is it dependable / bug-free / safe, is it customizeable (because I only need folder support and nothing else) and does it support a multi-level (hierarchical) folder structure ?
No one has still answered these 3 questions ?

Sorry for all the bugging guys, but this thread has really left me confused and with more questions then I started with.

P.S.
This could be considered the 5th generation of Sony readers (Librie -> 500 -> 505 -> 900 -> 950) and they still haven't thought of folder support ?

Last edited by Enkidu of Abydos; 02-21-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #7
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Enkidu... don't jump on people for giving detailed explanations when you ask for them... your Post #3 said "What's a flasher?" which bbriand then explained... don't blame him for his explanation when your comment made you sound technically inept...

And as for your 3 questions: Dependable if you don't screw up, at least as bug free as any commercial software and probably more so and you take all facilities as it's a unit but you don't have to use anything you don't want to and multi-level folder structure works. If you want more detailed info on the various flashers and systems then read the latter part of the related thread as well as the beginning...

Oh yes, Sony implemented a tag structure (using meta-tags), which many people prefer to folder structures especially as it allows the same file to be in several different tag groups whereas you would need several copies of the same file in different folders to achieve the same capability... personally I prefer folders but that's me.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:20 AM   #8
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Enkidu... don't jump on people for giving detailed explanations when you ask for them... your Post #3 said "What's a flasher?" which bbriand then explained... don't blame him for his explanation when your comment made you sound technically inept...
Sorry if it seemed like I jumped on him but I wasn't trying to. I just wanted to explain I wasn't as inept as he seemed to think I was. The answer to the mentioned question could be given in one sentence, the whole long explaining is unnecessary. I understand why he could think I was a total noob from the way I phrased my question but I was trying to be ironic.

Quote:
And as for your 3 questions: Dependable if you don't screw up, at least as bug free as any commercial software and probably more so and you take all facilities as it's a unit but you don't have to use anything you don't want to and multi-level folder structure works.
Thanks, that's exactly the answer I was looking for.
Now I guess one there's one important matter left - if I do happen to screw up the procedure, can the device end up bricked beyond help ? Or do I just reset it to factory settings ?

Quote:
If you want more detailed info on the various flashers and systems then read the latter part of the related thread as well as the beginning...
Silly me, I visited that link several times but thought it was a single post with no answers, didn't notice the link to the full thread.
Allright, I'll take a look, but it's 112 pages !

Quote:
Oh yes, Sony implemented a tag structure (using meta-tags), which many people prefer to folder structures especially as it allows the same file to be in several different tag groups whereas you would need several copies of the same file in different folders to achieve the same capability... personally I prefer folders but that's me.
You mean like collections in the 505 ?
Old 02-22-2011, 02:44 AM   #9
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster

Well I took a look at that thread (the first and 107. page were enough) and at the official project site (http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/) and now I know more or less everything about this (so you can pretty much ignore my questions above).
I have to say Kartu, this is one impressive piece of work ! And all for free...
You probably already know this, but both the items from your impossible list (http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/wiki/FeatureRequests) have already been implemented in the 950.
I see you accept votes for requested features, so I'd like to put in my votes for options 3. and 4. from the high priority list (text search and standby timeout, I've wanted that ever since I got my PRS-505) and option 2. from the low priority list.
I noticed you implemented Sudoku, Mahjong and such. I don't really need games on my e-reader but I have a suggestion for a great game you could implement next (for other people to have fun). It fulfills all the requirements that I can imagine for a game on an e-reader : it doesn't require a quick display refresh rate (it could even benefit from the touchscreen and zoom functions), it has simple graphics, it would be simple to implement (you'd need to get the author's permission first, but that should be no problem since the game already has a free online version and author makes his money from the physical version), and it's for two players and very fun to play (2006. MENSA select too !) :
http://www.boardspace.net/english/about_hive.html
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2655/hive
Anyway, kudos to you for the effort...

Last edited by Enkidu of Abydos; 02-22-2011 at 03:25 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:33 AM   #10
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
I'd think about switching to Swahili.
Flasher would probably turn into "Fuluasha".
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:21 AM   #11
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster

I don't really get the last post. Is that sarcasm ? If so, I'm sorry for anything I've done to offend.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:57 AM   #12
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes , it can get bricked, no not beyond rescue, relatively easy, again covered in detail in thread... I know 112 pages but it's there in detail

And collections are meta-tag information and you can put the same item in more than one collection e.g. A military alternate history SF novel can be in Collections Military, Alternate History and SF allowing you to find them in any of those collections...

Quote:
Thanks, that's exactly the answer I was looking for.
Now I guess one there's one important matter left - if I do happen to screw up the procedure, can the device end up bricked beyond help ? Or do I just reset it to factory settings ?

Silly me, I visited that link several times but thought it was a single post with no answers, didn't notice the link to the full thread.
Allright, I'll take a look, but it's 112 pages !

You mean like collections in the 505 ?
Old 02-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #13
elcreative
Wizard

And I take that as humourous... you mentioned Suahili in your third post and we all assumed you meant the language Swahili and it was gentle fun as to Flasher then being mis-spelled the same way...

Quote:
I don't really get the last post. Is that sarcasm ? If so, I'm sorry for anything I've done to offend.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #14
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster

Quote:
Yes , it can get bricked, no not beyond rescue, relatively easy, again covered in detail in thread... I know 112 pages but it's there in detail

And collections are meta-tag information and you can put the same item in more than one collection e.g. A military alternate history SF novel can be in Collections Military, Alternate History and SF allowing you to find them in any of those collections...
Yeah I already know about collections. The trouble is you can't put collections inside collections (at least as far as I know) and I need trilogies in one unit together with single books of the same author. For example LOTR 1 / 2 / 3 are in one folder, and that folder is together with Hobbit and Silmarillion inside the J. R. R. Tolkien folder, and that folder is together with other writer's folders. That's what I want and that's how I have it arranged on my computer.
Also, I'd want to have the many images for one comic book in one folder, and multiple such folders for multiple issues in one common folder (like an Alan Ford folder containing folders Alan Ford 15, Alan Ford 27, etc.).
That's why I want multi-level folders.

Quote:
And I take that as humourous... you mentioned Suahili in your third post and we all assumed you meant the language Swahili and it was gentle fun as to Flasher then being mis-spelled the same way...
Mtu yeyote nipe ndizi ? Lakini si kahawia !
Old 02-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #15
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster

Quote:
Mtu yeyote nipe ndizi ? Lakini si kahawia !
No one got one ?