Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-16-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Bible Study Book collections

Not since the Godspeed eBible (a custom hiebook reader) has there been a good Bible study collection available for eBook Readers. I just found such a collection for MobiPocket which is good news for Cybook and iLiad users. Of course PDA users may find it useful as well. It is available from http://www.christiancdrom.com/ They have a collection of free eBooks and discounted eBooks.

Enjoy,
Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
I created good quality PDFs (for SONY reader) of the Tanach with Rachi's commentary using Chabad.org as a source.
Unfortunatelly they did not allow me to share it, but anyone can do the same with a little work.
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic View Post
I created good quality PDFs (for SONY reader) of the Tanach with Rachi's commentary using Chabad.org as a source.
Unfortunatelly they did not allow me to share it, but anyone can do the same with a little work.
Possibly you can. there are sources for PDF versions of many of those documents but unfortunately PDF doesn't scale well so you have to build the files special for the Sony. But then 60,000 books would be lot of effort.

-oops I see the 60,000 weren't books but articles, sorry about that but even several hundred is still quite an effort and they would not be linked together like this collection.
Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 11-16-2007 at 07:34 PM. Reason: -oops
Old 11-16-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem as I see it is that there are no Bibles that would work for me. What I want is what we have in print. I want a bible that does not have the new testament and that has a literal translation no no slant on things like most Bibles do. Most Bibles foe readers have some sort of slant to them due to the translation and are not proper Jewish Bibles.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:15 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem as I see it is that there are no Bibles that would work for me. What I want is what we have in print. I want a bible that does not have the new testament and that has a literal translation no no slant on things like most Bibles do. Most Bibles foe readers have some sort of slant to them due to the translation and are not proper Jewish Bibles.
You may need to learn Hebrew then.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:51 PM   #6
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
You may need to learn Hebrew then.
Hebrew and ancient Greek.
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:03 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you looked at the ASV from 1901? It is pretty literal and not copyrighted. I have some electronic versions of that one I can possibly convert.

Dale
Old 11-17-2007, 05:54 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The problem with literal translations, as I've said in a previous post, is that the bible is full of Hebrew idioms and euphemisms that don't make any sense (or are confusing) if you translate them literally. One example is Isaiah 7:20 which talks about God coming with a razor and shaving "the hair of your head and the hair of your feet". Is this really talking about hairy feet? No, of course it's not: "hair of the feet" is a Hebrew euphemism for pubic hair, but you wouldn't know that if you read a literal translation such as the KJV.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:29 AM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshzilla View Post
Hebrew and ancient Greek.
Hebrew should do for the Old Testament, which is all that was wanted.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:35 AM   #10
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The problem with literal translations, as I've said in a previous post, is that the bible is full of Hebrew idioms and euphemisms that don't make any sense (or are confusing) if you translate them literally. One example is Isaiah 7:20 which talks about God coming with a razor and shaving "the hair of your head and the hair of your feet". Is this really talking about hairy feet? No, of course it's not: "hair of the feet" is a Hebrew euphemism for pubic hair, but you wouldn't know that if you read a literal translation such as the KJV.
I did not know this. Please tell me that the foot washing rituals in the Bible don't fall into the same category.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:03 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, don't worry, you're safe with those .
Old 11-17-2007, 11:22 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yes I did goof and say literal translation. What I should have said was neutral translation with no slant on anything. As direct a translation as possible. That's what I want. I don't want a Bible such as the KJV that has their own slant on things and also includes bits that are not really part of the Bible (the entire new testament).
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:23 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Hebrew should do for the Old Testament, which is all that was wanted.
Along with a little bit of Aramaic, which is rather closely related to Hebrew.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:55 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Along with a little bit of Aramaic, which is rather closely related to Hebrew.
Have you checked the ASV. The knowledge of the Hebrew wasn't very good at the time KJV was written. It was much better at the time of the ASV. You are never going to get a perfect translation but there were Godly men from both sides of the Atlantic involved in the ASV which is based on the RV. In an eBook the NT (which I have already posted) is easily separated even though both are the word of God. We can agree to differ on this point.

Fonts are an issue in the Hebrew and even then you are going to get a literal translation, in effect since as you point out is what it says, which you will have to interpret on your own with study so the same thing can be said for the English language version. The Hebrew would likely have to be images or PDF anyway.

Dale
Old 11-17-2007, 02:30 PM   #15
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
The kind of reminds me of a literature reading assignment I had, we had to read the book of Ruth, and one instance had a mother tell her daughter to go to the man she loved and sleep at the foot of his bed.

Now is it saying she sleep on the floor? Probably not, Hebrew had that expression to mean sex so it most likely meant that in context. The Old Testament does imploy alot of coded language. Another one would be in the story in Saddam and Ghamorra where the two angels are being met with an angry mob and the statement "Hand them over to us so that we get to know them." Is coded for homosexual sex.
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote