Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-02-2010, 03:09 AM   #106
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iñigo View Post
I didn't drain so much battery in the simple tests I did...
More people with the same experiences?
If I leave it on, yes. But I guess that is because I usually have a newspaper from newspaper direct open in the background. So I always turn the reader off manually.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:03 AM   #107
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
I will try turning it off and see if it makes a difference. The battery certainly runs down very quickly when it is left on. I hadn't been turning it off because I thought that the battery wasn't being used when the screen was just sitting there. Turning the screen off doesn't really shutdown the entire reader so I didn't think that would help much. I actually removed the battery from my Sony once and the screen didn't change. I will certainly try it because I need to do something.

I very much like the time displayed but if it is the cause of the battery drain (pure supposition) then is there a way to turn it off or slow it down or something?

Thanks................Jackie
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:17 AM   #108
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
If I leave it on the battery empties 1/3 to 1/2 over night. If I turn it off the battery does not seem to run down at all and I can use the device a full week even with heavy Walcom usage and zooming.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #109
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
If I leave it on the battery empties 1/3 to 1/2 over night. If I turn it off the battery does not seem to run down at all
That's about the same numbers I am seeing. I lose almost 50% a day regardless of whether I use it or not if I leave it turned on. I am still wondering what is running that is using the power? The time is an obvious question. I am not sure what else might be going on in the background. It is a bit of a concern.

Jackie
Old 10-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #110
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I haven't been following this thread very closely, so I don't know if implementation specifics of the clock have been discussed. Is it a real time clock, or does it only update on a page turn?

This is one of the issues that has been discussed in the past every time someone would request a clock feature on the iLiad or DR. A real time clock is going to be a battery drain and defeat one of the main benefits of eInk, namely that it doesn't require power to maintain a static image on the screen. It sounds like that is what is going on here, but I don't know for sure.

Based on previous discussions, the easiest way to get around that issue is to only have the clock update on a page turn. That way you're not causing any additional battery drain, however, it also means that the clock is not going to be accurate. The user will have to be aware that the clock information on the screen is outdated, unless they have recently done a page turn.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #111
jjansen
J

Turning off my DR800SG when I am not reading it seems to be helping the power consumption a lot. I am travelling so I am charging it every night just to be safe. I will do a longer test when I get home.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #112
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Now I don't have power issues with 800+ but I spend most of my time in full screen mode.

I must say that the combo of rc3 zoom/pan and the 1000 ctb make for the most usable pdf viewer ereader out there.

Is there any way to select a document tab without using the stylus.
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #113
bran
Enthusiast
bran began at the beginning.

Device: IREX DR800S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpn Jack Flash View Post
Now I don't have power issues with 800+ but I spend most of my time in full screen mode.

I must say that the combo of rc3 zoom/pan and the 1000 ctb make for the most usable pdf viewer ereader out there.

Is there any way to select a document tab without using the stylus.
I use mine in full screen and also have no power issues. Maybe we should only update on page refresh. I wonder though, my dr800s switches off after about 30 minutes, is the dr800sg different in that?

Regards Bran
bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #114
eKalamos
eKalamos began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800
Hello all, and many thanks to Inigo for this hack!

It really seems awesome so I'm trying to install it on my new DR800S...

I did get the DR1000 uds and copied it where appropriate. However, from then on I don't understand what I should do. When I copy the _dr800+ folder and dr800+.desktop to the root of the Reader's microSD card, and then try to run dr800+.desktop I get

The "dr800+.desktop" application cannot be opened. Possibly the application is already open. Close it first and try again."

I'm probably doing something wrong but I don't see what. Any help would be very appreciated !

PS. ATM I have the RC3 version of the firmware without any modifications.
eKalamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:24 PM   #115
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by eKalamos View Post
When I copy the _dr800+ folder and dr800+.desktop to the root of the Reader's microSD card
I think that you should first create a folder called Programs and copy the dr800+ folder and the desktop file in that folder.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:59 PM   #116
eKalamos
eKalamos began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800
Ah, yes, now reading other threads about apps I see that all apps need to have a /Programs/_nameofapp path...

Thanks, Mackx. I'll try it tomorrow but I think it'll work. I was sure it was just one simple stupid little oversight on my part like this one that was causing the problem, too..
eKalamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #117
adanpi
adanpi began at the beginning.

Device: dr800s
Hello.
I have realized that when I connect the ebook for usb to the computer, eliminate the direct accesses of the bar of tasks, some solution in order that they do not resign.?
Thank you.
adanpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:16 AM   #118
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by adanpi View Post
Hello.
I have realized that when I connect the ebook for usb to the computer, eliminate the direct accesses of the bar of tasks, some solution in order that they do not resign.?
Thank you.
The DR normally closes all open documents when it is connected via USB to a computer. There can only be one 'owner' of the SD-card and it seems logical to close all files when 'ownership' is transferred to the computer. The computer can delete/modify files, so what should the DR do with its open files once ownership is transferred back to the DR?
Old 10-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #119
Qxr
Enthusiast
Qxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it is

Device: lbook V3, iRex DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iñigo View Post
1. Go to IREX firmware update site, download the DR1000 firmware:
http://updates.irexnet.com/beta/dr10...1000s-0629.zip
Friends,
The above-mentioned archive does not seem to be there anymore. Can anybody spare ten minutes to find out which of the available archives contains the right uds.dr1000? Thanks!
Qxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #120
Mackx
Guru

See here follow the correct link depending on the software you want. The rc3 is the latest, see the changelog-documents

Tags
dr800+