Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Color Kindle to use Qualcomm's Mirasol screen

According to This Article at Foxnews the reporter was discussing Qualcomm's Mirasol technology with a spokeman from Qualcomm, and when asked who Qualcomm was going to partner up with in 2010 the spokesman replied,

Quote:
You know that device that everyone reads books on? Well, it's going to be a game changer on a device we all know.
This is huge. If you haven't seen the demos of Mirasol color screens then Google them now. This is some really cool technology. It is a color screen that is reflective just like E-Ink's black & white screens -- but did I mention it's color. Oh yeah, that's not all, it also supports refresh rates capable of supporting video, and it has a long battery life.

I can see it now: Kindle 3 the Mac Tablet Killer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mirasol.png
Views:	534
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	42775  

Last edited by Daithi; 01-07-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Engadget is also reporting (see here) that Amazon will use Qualcomm's Mirasol screens in a future Kindle (but say they can't confirm the announcement). They also state that the device should be ready for release in the Fall of this year. The device they were looking at was 5.7" but they mention it scaling up to around 10" or tablet sized. Lastly, check out the video on Engadget's site -- that is one wicked device.

Here's the Qualcomm Mirasol Website: www.mirasoldisplays.com the device on their homepage also looks very Kindle-ish.

Last edited by Daithi; 01-07-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
This should be in the "News" section. Thanks Daithi!

Last edited by daffy4u; 01-07-2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: one day I will learn to spell but not today
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
While I would be really excited to have one of these, I'm quite surprised that the Qualcomm rep would be so indiscreet. If people know there may be color Kindles in a matter of months, many will likely skip the Kindle 2 or DX. That could leave them with quite a bit of stock on hand. I wonder if this means we'll see a big price drop coming to clear out old inventory. Of course, lots of people get their noses out of joint when they buy something and the new model comes out shortly after.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
If this is true I guess there is no chance of a Feb release of the K3 then? Because the mirasol technology is fairly new they probably don't have production capability yet for the Kindle.

So maybe we'll see it late 2010. By then most people who are super keen for a color/internet/video/reader device and have a large budget will have snapped up a windows or apple tablet device.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
OK...I just posted that CES 2010 was a total FAIL...and viola!! Here is something very close to a complete win...thanks for this info!! but I will still need to see it's complete feature set to see why I should consider this for my large format device. We'll see though. I am not sold on color being needed on a pocket device if the panel carries a premium over current greyscale panels as my small device reading is only novels and other greyscale friendly content.

Nice promise for the end of 2010...but again another large format device we won't get a real look at until the end of this year at the soonest...very disappointing and discouraging. The HP slate device is looking better and better.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
If this is true I guess there is no chance of a Feb release of the K3 then? Because the mirasol technology is fairly new they probably don't have production capability yet for the Kindle.

So maybe we'll see it late 2010. By then most people who are super keen for a color/internet/video/reader device and have a large budget will have snapped up a windows or apple tablet device.
That is how I see it...I am likely going to ditch my K1 for a Pocketbook device, probably the PB360...or I'll just sell it and live with my two pocket devices I already use...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
While I would be really excited to have one of these, I'm quite surprised that the Qualcomm rep would be so indiscreet. If people know there may be color Kindles in a matter of months, many will likely skip the Kindle 2 or DX. That could leave them with quite a bit of stock on hand. I wonder if this means we'll see a big price drop coming to clear out old inventory. Of course, lots of people get their noses out of joint when they buy something and the new model comes out shortly after.
I'd place it at a lot more than a matter of months.

Mirasol is new technology. Qualcomm has to ramp up from prototype to volume production, which will happen after they have sufficient design wins to justify the investment, and Amazon and whoever else will have to design devices to use them, and get sufficient displays from Qualcomm to ramp up for volume production.

This is not a quick process. Right now, you can assume Qualcomm is sampling evaluation display units to interested parties. I'd call "end of 2010" the time when we would start seeing these available.

Anyone holding off on a Kindle 2 or DX purchase because they'd prefer a color device using this should not hold their breath. And since there is certain to be a price premium attached, you can assume a lot of users will decide black and white is sufficient for their purposes.

If Mirasol lives up to the hype, it will find uses in applications far beyond ereaders, but it won't happen tomorrow.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Anyone holding off on a Kindle 2 or DX purchase because they'd prefer a color device using this should not hold their breath.
I agree, remember Amazon spent 18 months or so getting the Kindle 1 just right. If Amazon ever commits to this display then Qualcomm has a major design win, but Amazon will expect high volume at consistent quality.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I agree, remember Amazon spent 18 months or so getting the Kindle 1 just right. If Amazon ever commits to this display then Qualcomm has a major design win, but Amazon will expect high volume at consistent quality.
I can see Amazon committing. But Qualcomm will be looking for a lot more volume than just Amazon will provide. Amazon's requirements will number in the hundreds of thousands. Qualcomm almost certainly hopes to sell millions of Mirasol displays. It's basic semiconductor electronics. The factories that can make the stuff are enormously expensive, so you have to make a lot to amortize the investment.

Of course, if Amazon does commit, it makes it far easier for Qualcomm to get other design wins. Nobody like to be the first to implement a new technology.

But I do wonder what folks at places like PVI are saying about this...

I suspect we'll see something like the old days in TV. Black and white sets were still around for some time after color was introduced, because color sets were a lot more expensive. I don't expect solutions like eInk to go away for similar reasons.
______
Dennis
Old 01-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #11
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68616

I doubt Mirasol will ship before color eInk does, though who knows.

Try not to drool over unsubstantiated rumors, please...
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post

Try not to drool over unsubstantiated rumors, please...
Too late.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #13
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Perhaps at next year's CES they will announce a reader based on this technology that will then be available in June 2011. That is usually how these things work. Now they just want to get into the news.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
This is not a quick process. Right now, you can assume Qualcomm is sampling evaluation display units to interested parties. I'd call "end of 2010" the time when we would start seeing these available.
That's what I was guessing. I figured Amazon stood a good chance of having them by the Christmas season which is a matter of months (less than one year) away. Personally, I would not buy a reader if I thought I'd really want to upgrade in one year. Two? Yes. One? No. If I didn't have a reader, I'd just keep using paper or my phone. I have a reader, and I would hold off on upgrading. Also, I figure once a great color reader comes out, the used price for the black and white will likely be even lower than the used prices now. If I had upgraded to the K2 from the K1, the used price for my K1 still would have been quite good. The models weren't that different. Some even preferred elements of the K1. Color and a fast screen will make a huge difference.

Of course I wonder if the free web access will go away when that happens.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #15
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post

PVI announced a prototype 12 bit color eInk display in December 2006 that was supposed to go into volume production in 2007...
______
Dennis