Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-07-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
A Fantasy Novel YOU would recommend

I would like to start off by recommending "Silverlock," by John Myers Myers.

John Myers Myers is remembered [largely] for SILVERLOCK, a recursive fantasy that centres on a picaresque voyage by a shipwrecked protagonist through the 'Commonwealth' (of literature), where he encounters numerous characters and situations from world literature and mythology -- the Ass of Apuleius, Beowulf, the Green Knight, Robin Hood, Dante's Hell, Friar John from RABELAIS, and many more. The novel is light and pleasant, rather in the manner of Christopher Morley. [The Encyclopedia of Fantasy.]

If you like James Branch Cabell's deliciously urbane fantasies, then you may love Silverlock, as do I.

Don

("Have fun and read well.") -- I said that!

pdurrant has assembled a summary of recommendations. Below is the result of his work:

I've made a summary of the recommendations so far, as I wanted to take advantage of the fictionwise 9th Anniversary sale (30% to 50% discount or rebate on everything). Links provided for those books I found at Fictionwise or webscriptions.

Silverlock
by John Myers Myers
Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart
Swords and Deviltry by Fritz Leiber
Lucy's Blade by John Lambshead
The Odyssey by Homer
A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth Series) by Piers Anthony
Tigana by Guy Guvriel Kay
The Last Light of the Sun by Guy Guvriel Kay
The Way of Ecben, by James Branch Cabell
Black God's Shadow by Catherine L Moore
Beowulf
Enchantment by Orson Scott Card
The Lies of the Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch
The Neverending Story by Michael Ende
The Princess Bride by William Goldman
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony
The Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold
The Redemption of Althalus by David & Leigh Eddings
Dragonworld by Byron Preiss
Mordant's Need by Stephen Donaldson
Glory Road - Robert A. Heinlein
The Barbed Coil by J. V. Jones
Tales of the Dying Earth by Jack Vance
Magician by Raymond E. Feist
Elantris by Brandon Sanderson
Elfhunter by C. S. Marks
Stardust by Neil Gaiman

A big 'thank-you to pdurrant for his work and for this list.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:43 AM   #2
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart - an amazing standalone fantasy novel.

from Amazon:
Number Ten Ox comes from a village in which the children have been struck by a mysterious illness. He recruits Master Li to find the cure and comes along to provide muscle. They seek a mysterious Great Root of Power, which may be a form of ginseng. Of course, nothing turns out to be as simple as it seems; great wrongs must be avenged and lovers separated must be reunited, from the most humble to the highest. And even in the midst of cosmic glory, Pawnbroker Fang and Ma the Grub are picking the pockets of their own lynch mob, who are frozen in awe and wonder. --Nona Vero

If you like authors such as Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, etc, try this book.

Availability as an ebook: Only from the dark side, I'm afraid..
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Swords and Deviltry - Leiber, Fritz

The first book of the series documenting the adventures of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser...

from Amazon:
Swords and Deviltry introduces us to a strange world where fantastic but thoroughly flawed anti-heroes Fafhrd and Gray Mouser find the familiar in themselves and discover the icy power of female magic. Three master-magician femme-fatales and a sprightly lad illuminate the bonds between father and son, the relationship between the bravado of the imagination, and the courage of fools. A hedge wizard explains the cold war between the sexes. Mouse and Fafhrd meet again and traverse the smoke and mirrors of Lankhmar learning more and more of the foggy world in which they live, experiencing the pleasures and pains of the City of Sevenscore Thousand Smokers that will lead them to countless more adventures and misadventures.

This novel and its sequels are among my all time favorites. *I just recalled and should add that the chapters that made up this novel were short stories and it wasn't actually written originally in full novel form, if that bothers anyone.

-MJ

Last edited by mjh215; 05-08-2009 at 06:41 AM.
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart - an amazing standalone fantasy novel.

from Amazon:
Number Ten Ox comes from a village in which the children have been struck by a mysterious illness. He recruits Master Li to find the cure and comes along to provide muscle. They seek a mysterious Great Root of Power, which may be a form of ginseng. Of course, nothing turns out to be as simple as it seems; great wrongs must be avenged and lovers separated must be reunited, from the most humble to the highest. And even in the midst of cosmic glory, Pawnbroker Fang and Ma the Grub are picking the pockets of their own lynch mob, who are frozen in awe and wonder. --Nona Vero

If you like authors such as Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, etc, try this book.

Availability as an ebook: Only from the dark side, I'm afraid..

I've read that and I agree with you. That's a fun and incredible read, as are the other two novels featuring that character.

Don
Old 05-08-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
Swords and Deviltry - Leiber, Fritz

The first book of the series documenting the adventures of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser...

from Amazon:
Swords and Deviltry introduces us to a strange world where fantastic but thoroughly flawed anti-heroes Fafhrd and Gray Mouser find the familiar in themselves and discover the icy power of female magic. Three master-magician femme-fatales and a sprightly lad illuminate the bonds between father and son, the relationship between the bravado of the imagination, and the courage of fools. A hedge wizard explains the cold war between the sexes. Mouse and Fafhrd meet again and traverse the smoke and mirrors of Lankhmar learning more and more of the foggy world in which they live, experiencing the pleasures and pains of the City of Sevenscore Thousand Smokers that will lead them to countless more adventures and misadventures.

This novel and its sequels are among my all time favorites. *I just recalled and should add that the chapters that made up this novel were short stories and it wasn't actually written originally in full novel form, if that bothers anyone.

-MJ

Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser books are my favorite novels featuring these two vagabonds and good-for-nothings!

They are two wonderful characters, and the writing is rich and delightful.

Don
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 09:06 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Only one? But there's so many good ones! Of course, many are part of a long series of books. How about a nice stand-alone for a change?

Lucy's Blade by John Lambshead

Sir Francis Walsingham, Queen Elizabeth's Secretary of State, was the greatest spymaster the world had ever seen. But when he asked Dr. Dee to summon a demon the result was unexpected, especially for his orphaned niece Lucy. Sir Francis' duty as her guardian was to find Lucy a suitably aristocratic husband, not to let her fight demons and witchcraft for the Queen's Secret Service. But his—and Lucy's—duty to protect Queen and country from enemies both natural and supernatural kept getting in the way. And so did all those demons . . .
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The Odyssey
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #8
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
the Xanth Series... by Anthony Piers
Quote:
Xanth was the enchanted land where magic ruled--where every citizen had a special spell only he could cast. That is, except for Bink of North Village. He was sure he possessed no magic, and knew that if he didn't find some soon, he would be exiled. According to the Good Magician Humpfrey, the charts said that Bink was as powerful as the King or even the Evil Magician Trent. Unfortunately, no one could determine its form. Meanwhile, Bink was in despair. If he didn't find his magic soon, he would be forced to leave....
from amazon
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I take it we are talking about stand alone fantasy books, right?

Tigana

The Last Light of the Sun

Both of them by Guy Guvriel Kay.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I take it we are talking about stand alone fantasy books, right?

Tigana

The Last Light of the Sun

Both of them by Guy Guvriel Kay.
Oo0o0o0ops. In that case The Positronic Man by Isaac Asimov.
A housekeeping robot transcends the laws that limit him in his desire to become human in this final collaboration between two sf masters.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphapheemail View Post
the Xanth Series... by Anthony Piers

from amazon
I don't know why, but I've never been able to lose myself in Xanth. I love funny, love Florida, love the author, but have never felt a desire to seek out the books. If one fell into my hands, sure, I would read and enjoy it, but at the end there was never a driving need to find the next in the series. I'm sure it's just me, because the series is a perennial favorite.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #12
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I don't know why, but I've never been able to lose myself in Xanth. I love funny, love Florida, love the author, but have never felt a desire to seek out the books. If one fell into my hands, sure, I would read and enjoy it, but at the end there was never a driving need to find the next in the series. I'm sure it's just me, because the series is a perennial favorite.
Yea it is quite the commitment, there are 22 so far... i usually just jump between series (reading xanth, foundation and ender) to forget about the characters I love, so that when I come back to them they are a breath of fresh air... I have been reading xanth for 2 years now....
Old 05-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphapheemail View Post
Oo0o0o0ops. In that case The Positronic Man by Isaac Asimov.
A housekeeping robot transcends the laws that limit him in his desire to become human in this final collaboration between two sf masters.
So it is not Fantasy novel, is it?
Old 05-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #14
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
So it is not Fantasy novel, is it?
o0o0o0ps referring to only standing novels, and Xanth well has 20+ books in it
Old 05-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #15
astra
The Introvert

I am confused
Nevermind.