Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-14-2008, 09:39 AM   #1
willgordon
willgordon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Exclamation PRS505 Invalid Format (tried EVERYTHING! got an ISO?)

Oh boy am I in trouble. Please HELP!!

The trouble started the first day I got my PRS-505, after a few hours of use, when the buttons became non-responsive. I figured it was the battery, so I charged it. But then the same problem.

It reboots after I press the reset button, and the red light goes on when I charge, via USB, so I figure that it must have plenty of battery at this point. It has never refused the soft reset.

Sooooooo I searched around the forums, and found the pages about 1) doing a hard reset, which didn't work for me despite trying many, many times.

So then I tried 2) reformatting the hard drive which may have been my big mistake. I'm now having the "Invalid Format!" error, with the grayed out screen.

I've tried formatting both with Windows and Mac, FAT16, and no success. I may have messed up the filesystem? Does anybody have a photo of what the filesystem should look like? I didn't make a disk image before... stupid, I know.

If anybody has a disk image I could use to restore the internal memory, or any other tips besides pressing the center button, I'd be SOOOOOOOOOOO grateful.

Thanks!
Will
willgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Try formatting from inside the Reader (Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Format Internal Memory). You can also try Restore Defaults for good measure.
If that doesn't help, reapply the firmware update.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #3
willgordon

Exclamation Can't do anything on the reader itself...

The trouble is I can't do anything on the reader itself -- the screen is grayed out and no buttons but the tiny "RESET" button on the back and the power slide on top do anything at all.

Also, just applied the new firmware last night on my girlfriend's PC (I'm on a mac) and won't be able to do anything on that front until late tonight.

Last edited by willgordon; 08-14-2008 at 10:14 AM. Reason: added info about firmware
Old 08-14-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
What happens when you press the center button?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
willgordon

Exclamation

absolutely nothing... depressing, right?

IF this helps, just to test it, I put the flash updater on an SD card, and it ran it, but in the BG behind the gray screen...

I wasn't able, however, to run any of the programs. Buttons 1-9 did nothing as well.
Advert
Old 08-14-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Weird. I had that "invalid format" error once too, and pressing the enter button cleared it right up. In fact, that is how I found this forum.

Given that you indicate that the autorun still works, it seems like your reader is functionally OK - does it still show as a USB drive when connected?

Maybe your enter button is broken? (I know, weird guess). Any chance of returning it/getting the whole thing fixed?

Last edited by acidzebra; 08-14-2008 at 10:59 AM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #7
willgordon

maybe possible, but I'd like to try and fix it myself, if possible.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
dynamike
Enthusiast
dynamike began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by willgordon View Post
and the red light goes on when I charge, via USB, so I figure that it must have plenty of battery at this point.
As long as the red LED is on that means your reader is not fully charged. It certainly is no indication for "plenty of battery". The battery may be almost fully charged or nearly depleted. Try to fully charge the reader before trying something else. Charge the reader until the red LED goes off. Only then is the battery fully charged.

Depending on what you use for charging (AC-adapter, powered USB port of PC or notebook etc.), there may be a problem preventing to charge the reader. I you use a PC or notebook, try to unplug all other unpowered USB devices. It is possible to draw too much current from the USB circuitry with too many devices. Happened to me the other day when my desktop computer refused to recognize the reader. The red LED was on, I think, even though I doubt that the battery was charging at that moment.

Good luck!
dynamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #9
willgordon

Sorry, I should have said that I did charge it overnight last night, and the light was off by morning.

I'll try plugging it into the computer solo and see what happens.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #10
willgordon

Question

Nope, that didn't work either. Light went out, still no progress.

Any chance someone could make a zip file or disk image of their PRS-505's internal memory (everything on "untitled") and either post it or email?

Old 08-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #11
willgordon

Is this something that they could fix for me at a Sony Style store? Anybody have any experience with that?
Scratch that. Just called and because I got the thing engraved, they can't take it back. Ugh!

Last edited by willgordon; 08-14-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #12
willgordon

I also went out and bought a PSP charger, charged until the light went off.

No dice.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:53 PM   #13
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Have you tried running the standalone official firmware update app (on Windows)?
If it says it's already up-to-date there's descriptions of how to unpack it & edit the version no it compares with - try that?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #14
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Any chance someone could make a zip file or disk image of their PRS-505's internal memory (everything on "untitled") and either post it or email?
The problem is that what you see when the reader's mounted via USB is only part of the real 'disk' - I suspect you need to try & focus on getting the firmware to reflash.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:29 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Is this something that they could fix for me at a Sony Style store? Anybody have any experience with that?
Scratch that. Just called and because I got the thing engraved, they can't take it back. Ugh!
But will they take it back for repair?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
invalid format, prs-505, sony reader, troubleshooting