Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #31
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
It should come pre-loaded with the Foxfire books!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #32
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Earl could be the next step up for me.
It has an impressive list of features/ability's/sensors.

Rugged enough to take down to the river fishing. GPS would be handy at times.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #33
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
There is something very appealing about it, in a Swiss army knife sort of way. But I have a vision of damaging it in some way (maybe dropping it) and losing all its functions at once.

I'm more of a fan of being able to pick and choose separate components that I can upgrade or replace even if there is a weight/size penalty. I'd rather have my Goal Zero solar kit, Garmin GPS, Kindle PW, etcetera for camping or survival situations.
That's a good point, though the Earl tablet might be a useful backup for any of those. It also depends on if you are traveling by foot, in which case weight really matters.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #34
giedre
Connoisseur
giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony 500,505, Kindle, 1150
I couldn't help myself went ahead and ordered one! It will be interesting to see if this does come to fruition. I'm a gadget junkie!
giedre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #35
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Wow, it jumped at least 10% just today. There seems to be a market.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #36
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Well, Earl hit 100% funding.
Looks like it's gonna hit production after all.
I like new toys!
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #37
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
This looks pretty interesting.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #38
DelbertCastro
DelbertCastro began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
I wonder if that's anything like a front light or how it works for reading at night? It really sounds like an interesting device.
Yes it is written in questions about Earl section

Does Earl work at night? Does it have a
flashlight?
Earl's has a front-light which illuminates it's screen in dark conditions. It's bright enough to use as a lantern if you need some extra light around camp.

minor grammatical error - "illuminates it's screen"
I am looking to get new tablet. I am college student so not willing to spend lots of money. Can you give some good options

Last edited by DelbertCastro; 05-27-2013 at 01:24 AM.
DelbertCastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #39
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelbertCastro View Post
I am looking to get new tablet. I am college student so not willing to spend lots of money. Can you give some good options
Try asking in the "which one should I buy" section.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #40
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
It should come pre-loaded with the Foxfire books!
While I like that idea, when I read over the Earl's specs, I got the feeling that it wasn't going to be usable for much more than basic outdoors stuff. There was no mention of access to Google Play, so I'm not sure people will be able to use it for actual app stuff.

So while the Earl is nice, it looks like writers could get better use of a BioLite and a 7" tablet.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #41
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
While I like that idea, when I read over the Earl's specs, I got the feeling that it wasn't going to be usable for much more than basic outdoors stuff. There was no mention of access to Google Play, so I'm not sure people will be able to use it for actual app stuff.

So while the Earl is nice, it looks like writers could get better use of a BioLite and a 7" tablet.
I've been closely following the development of Earl, and have been reading all of the Q&A posts. The meetearl team is pretty good at answering the questions.
There wasn't any mention of Google Play in the actual specs, but the question has been asked and answered quite a few times in the comments and questions area. I've attached a screenshot, mostly so you don't have to take it at face value from me.
From what the development team has stated, Earl will be a fully fledged Android running tablet that will have full access to the Google Play store. Obviously being e-ink will have an effect on faster running screen apps, but I highly doubt anybody interested in Earl will plan on using it for Angry Birds.
Anyways, I'll just have to see what she's capable of when it arrives.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	earl Q&A.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	106339  
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:07 AM   #42
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Anyone know if there's a reason this would not work in Europe?
I'm considering buying one, but there's not much time left to do so if I want to take advantage of the discount.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:27 AM   #43
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
Anyone know if there's a reason this would not work in Europe?
I'm considering buying one, but there's not much time left to do so if I want to take advantage of the discount.
Your sunlight is a different voltage and frequency. You'd need an adapter.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:34 AM   #44
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:13 AM   #45
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
But perhaps the covered radio frequencies are.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
earl, gps