Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 02-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
VWeed
Lese-Kaninchen
VWeed can extract oil from cheeseVWeed can extract oil from cheeseVWeed can extract oil from cheeseVWeed can extract oil from cheeseVWeed can extract oil from cheeseVWeed can extract oil from cheeseVWeed can extract oil from cheeseVWeed can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx I86 HDML Plus, PB626_2, Entourage Pocket Edge, LGGPad, LGG2
Veronikas EE has arrived finally :D

Hi together,

today was a very happy day for me.
At midday the kind postman came and brought a big package to me that contained the brandnew EE in glance white.

From receiving the EE until 7:00PM - as I've thought - that I've loaded the accu of the device with the power-supply - was necessary, because the device seems to had a empty one, won't powering on.
At this point I noticed, something seems unusual to me. The Power-LED won't stop to blink in red color...

Oh, I am so stupid (sure I am blond )!!!

Like every time I didn't read the short-instructions where a small sentence says "Remove plastic from battery to use device".
But please don't tell that to my dear male counterpart. Everytime he says that a am uninterested and to confused to read manuals before using a machine and then he have to repair them.

Well, I'd just wasted just seven hours useless. Life is longer.

Now the plastic is well removed and the power-LED blinks in green while the accu will be loaded - what's usualy should be a good sign in all.

But this night I have to sleep in the living-room unfortunately, my dear husband said as he came from work and saw my new device. Said he knows me, if I get a new device.
I am sure, tomorrow at sunrise I have tested nearly all functions of the EE and will being completely destroyed and tired to death.

Will report tomorrow afternoon (after getting a little sleep when finnished) how I can handle the EE and what problems I get with perhaps.

Seems, the EE just has the Firmware 1.6 on it. (I did a short functional-test while it's loading)
Here in this forum I found different firmwares for downloading.
What is best one for the EE?

CU later

Veronika
VWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Veronika, there is ONLY one upgrade for the EE - the version of Ermine that Entourage released for the EE.

Another thing, you can use your EE while it is charging.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Congratulations, Veronika, and thank you for the very amusing blow-by-blow reporting! I have a husband who knows me a bit too well (sometimes), too!

First, be VERY VERY careful that you update your EE ONLY with programs (firmware) designed for it and NOT for the PE. Okay? Are we clear?? You can ruin it completely and you don't want that.

There's a lot you can do with the 1.6 version you have. But if you want to upgrade you want the Ermine beta from enTourage which will give you Android 2.2. It's around here somewhere -- if you have trouble finding it I will dig it out for you.

Second, most important, enjoy!!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
VWeed
Lese-Kaninchen
VWeed can extract oil from cheeseVWeed can extract oil from cheeseVWeed can extract oil from cheeseVWeed can extract oil from cheeseVWeed can extract oil from cheeseVWeed can extract oil from cheeseVWeed can extract oil from cheeseVWeed can extract oil from cheese

Hello you two,

Hello Ivanjt, I can't await (I know, I am a typical women - noone have to think it ) the full loading process. After removing this dammed plastic-part I switched on the EE and had a little view onto it's displays. After the inatializing of the device, I took a short view into the settings and saw something that told "1.6" and other text.

Hello Filark, pretty, if you was amused by my first report. Unfortunately my husband really was neither happy nor amused about my newest toy when he heard it's price. To expensive and useless beside my other two readers he told. Have to prove the opposite.

So he was sulky and gona to sleep into our bedroom, but before this, he braught my night- and bedcloses into the living room.
I assume, he's just a little envious...

But doessn't matter, I am sure, tomorrow after the breakfast he's normal again - as every time after one of my purchases
After all we understand to satisfy our male housedragons with gentle and obeisantly comprehension they really have no other choice than to accept - the alternate is more expensive.
Finally the best weapon we women own - and each men knows about.
It's just business as usual or as in the commedy "Dinner for one" said: "Same procedure as every year, James".

I do promise, before I'll going to update the firmware (thinking today ) I will ask what firmware is right one and where best to download.

So I do now! What and Where?

Btw. a little that you told remembers me by my loved one.
Sounds like a well known "There's a lot you can do with the existing. This should be enought finally. You never must have the newest stuff".
Are you perhaps be in ralationship to my husband? (Just as a joke )

I really did't know what's it, every time, if knowing there's some newer, immediately to become the wish to own this.
Not just in computers, more in clothes, handbags and other a women needs absolutely.

But men are alike this fortunately.
Every time there's a new car-modell coming out not just my dear honey have to get it. So they may - and we becomes a reason to extort them with.
P.S. Men shouldn't read this

Well, the "green" LED in the EE has stopped to blink 5 minutes ago and is still flashing now.
So I have to retiring myself onto the uncomfortable coutch and cry myself into sleep.
No, not really - now the time has come to get knowledge about the amazing EE and satisfy my curiosity about the features of this reader.

And the sofa really is as comfortable as the bed - and best, it doessn't snore

Get a nice afternoon together (here it is nearly 01:00AM). Also time to work

best wishes

Veronika

Last edited by VWeed; 02-01-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:20 AM   #5
VWeed
Lese-Kaninchen

Goooooooooood morning vietnam - and all other countries

I am totaly zesty by the EE.
The handling isn't difficult and most of needed I learned before with my PBs.
Construction, processing and design is so much better than the Pocketbooks have. The buttons are well fixed, no afraid to loose one some one day.
It is a little heavy and unhandy - but this is a must, if you wanna get a 10"-reader. So I may save my morning-fitness-program with.

Nice things:
- the trackball on the TFT-side. Some like this I miss in my IQ701.
- combination and collaboration of the displays
- I can read my selfmade Asterix-PDFs nearly in it's origin size and this without using my glasses.
- reflow in eBooks is really much more better than in my Pocketbooks but still could be better in using the line-switching.
- works fine with my spare microSD 32GB in a SD-adapter. Seems to load really fast.
- the searching of music-songs is very easy

Dont like:
- imposible to me to move this small sliders with the stylus or to catch the bigger-sized slider that is visible sometimes. Do not understand how to get this one coming up.
- the sound coming from the speakers seems to came out of a construction site. Hoping it'll be better with earjacks

don't understand:
- build in RAM should be 4GB, in settings there are just 2,7 displayed
- the device has a built in SIM-card-slot. Is this one conected? Don't find a setting option for.

Well that's all I remember in moment. Perhaps after a little sleep I'll remember more stuff to ask for. Have to go to bed first. My eyes have some scratching curtains meanwhile.
A last cup of tea, a cigarette (awful habit), cleaning teeth and doing a catwash, then up and away.

P.S. My great love was standing up this morning, saw my tired eyes and boiled his morning coffee for himself. I just can say, well educated (by me - not his mother)
But his breakfast I'd performed for him and when he went to work, even I got a small kiss.
Seems, I may sleep in bed this night again
But maybe a trick of him perhaps - have to take a look into the car-magazine, that he studied yesterday afternoon.
Could be he plans a much bigger pay out than mine was.
If so, then he have to sleep on the couch much more than one night - and I will buy the little PE next month also.
Penality must be in all.

Uh, before I forget...
what are the differences between the 1.6 and the 2.2 firmware?
Is there somewhere a history ot some like that availiable.
With my PB pro 603 I had updated the firmware and the device run so much faster after doing. With the 2.1.2 (with graphic-booster) the 603 now may be named a reader truely.
Are the differences between the 1.6 and the 2.2 on the EE also as big and traceable?

Now it is time to take Daisy (my loved litle snowball-cat) for using her as "hot-water bottle" with me and say hello to my pillow. Daisy anyway loves to snuggle with me in bed, in daylight.
Juergen, my husband always say, we get the identical bio-rythm, Daisy and me. Not just this, we both have claws also.

so far, best wishes.

Veronika
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Veronika, a few observations, and yes I do know what it was like getting my EE - work stopped for the day and I'm 70+ so should know better

You should read the full manual - available in the 'library'.

When you do the screen calibrations hold the stylus as you would normally - this is especially important on the e-ink/wacom screen. DON'T lose the stylus the e-ink won't work without it.

The upgrade to Ermine - see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132878 about half way down the first article - will improve speed and allow more apps to run. There is one possible drawback - the camera does not work on still images, producing video works - at least on mine.

The sim card slot is just that - a slot. I think the idea was to have phone capabilities in the MK 2 version and some bright design engineer allowed for it from the start.

I assume the sliders you can't move or catch are the scroll indicators, I can't use them either so I use the trackball in stead.

To get a better view of the use of memory and other functions you need the Elixir app - not sure if it will work on 1.6 or not.

That should give you something to be getting on with and preparing more questions.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post

The upgrade to Ermine - see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132878 about half way down the first article - will improve speed and allow more apps to run.
There are two possibilities, which one is better ? (I remember seeing this discussed somewhere ....)
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
(posted twice, sorry about that)

Last edited by fekhner; 02-02-2012 at 08:39 AM.
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
ivanjt
Guru

I am using the original from Entourage.

The other one was produced to bypass some of the checks normally made during install to try and get market working, I think, which I don't think worked.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
VWeed
Lese-Kaninchen

Hello together,

Thank you both a lot for your comprehensive help.

Ivanjt, you're really more then 70 years? Wow, if I remember my grandma, she isn't able to use her remote of the TV.
I am just 22 years "old" this april.

Yes, I'll promise to read the complete manual of the EE. After my first couriosity is satisfied, I'll do so. But in the library I can't find the manual. Just if I press the help-icon, I am able to open this document.
But I've downloaded all manuals from your linked thread. This link is very helpful to me, there is a lot of interesting stuff in.

My WLAN is working and emails went in and out. So far I was able handle all necessary.

For updating my EE, I have two different files meanwhile:
the first of your linked thread: "e-update.zip.ermine-0.9.zip" with 144262kb, the second link from the thread isn't able to download. File not found, it tells, if I try to download the file.
But from another thread I have a updatefile: "update.custom101001fullsizeEE.zip" with 159063kb. So this seems bigger than the first one.
Not sure, what is the correct FW to use.
What is the origin FW from Entourage? And which is the better one?
Wont make anything wrong - Juergen surely won't have comprehension, if I make a expensive paper weight out of my EE.

Funny, the SIM-slot is a dummy? Surely this device isn't build in Germany. In this countra the developers try to save all parts thar aren't necessary to earn more money. Even the cables for the machines get shorter and shorter. So I nearly need a main socket each distance of 30" in my kitchen.

Yes, with slider I ment the scrollbar buttons. Perhaps in the manual I'll find instructions how to use them.

I've just wondered, if my device shows as total build in RAM 2,7GB and as free RAM 2,4GB if there should be 4GB in all.

Hello fekhner, the same question I ask myself.
What FW I should choose to get everything right.

Well, my dear husband is really impatient, if I am writing in a forum.
Computer are not in his interest. Her prefers more loud and dirty gas-engines with four wheels around.
Every time he drop a eye onto that, what I public.
So far for today, tomorrow more if he's at work again

Best wishes

Veronika
Old 02-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
ivanjt
Guru

Veronika, yes, I am more than 70, my desk at work and home looks more like NASA control centre - at work 6 wide screens but only 4 at home and I won't hold your age against you - just don't stop learning all through your life.

The update I recommend is the 'e-update.zip.ermine-0.9.zip' that contains 7 zips all dated 29 March 2011. This is the one from Entourage, the other is modified in some way that I can't remember why.

As for the scroll bars, I think they are only there to give in indication that there is more to be seen. Remember Android started out as an operating system on a phone where you used gestures to do things like scrolling or moving thing about. I've never been able to get them to do anything so of you do let me know how.

You can tell your husband there is nothing wrong with being interested in things mechanical - as a matter of fact there appears to be a shortage of good mechanical engineers, which is part of the reason I keep on working and most of the good engineers start by taking things apart and putting them back together. I have little time for engineers that have a degree without any practical experience - I make a good living repairing their mistakes
Old 02-03-2012, 03:59 AM   #12
VWeed
Lese-Kaninchen

Good morning, Ivanjt,

really pretty, if a person in your age is so active with computers. Do you have still to work? Here we get annuity if we are over 67 years. It's wishful to me, become your age and still work with computers.

Oh yes, it's hevy, if men will be jealous to computers.
Never understand how a man can see a machine with keyboard as a competitor to himself. But what will be life without man?

Thanks for the identifying of the correct FW.
The other one I got out of this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162704
from MasterTec's posting #6.
I'll get full knowledge about my EE first. before I get to start the FW-update.
But would be interesting, what is the different between both FWs.
The one from MasterTec has bigger system1.zip and system2.zip but dates are all the same. Could it be, this is a rooted FW?

I know the handling of the scrollbars from my true handy. Here I just have to press my finger onto this vertical line and moving up or down, when a big button under my finger appears. Have to find out, how to use this function on the EE

Best wishes

Veronika
Old 02-03-2012, 04:58 AM   #13
VWeed
Lese-Kaninchen

Really nice.

Just come from the customs to get the PE for my sister, what I bought im the USA.
But they won't give me the device, cause a german instruction and a europian power supply isn't in the package.
What now?

I told to the civil sergeant, the american power supply he may drop away, cause I don't need it and the instruction will be as a pdf in the device.
But he said, first the device have to be tested in some technical institution because the is no CE-sign on the case.
Oh, what a shit...

Since there is just a english manual in the PE, probably I'll getting problems.
Does anyone have a manual in german language for the PE perhaps?

As power supply I can show him the one from my EE - the PE also has same 12V with plus in the middle of the plug?

I am so sad - have promised my little sister she will get her own PE...

Veronika
Old 02-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #14
ivanjt
Guru

Sorry to hear you also have people in uniform that like to think they are more important than they, in fact, are.

I have just checked the box and paperwork that came with my EE from the French supplier. All the paperwork is in English except for the invoice. The only thing with a CE mark is the charger, just like yours. As far as I know - Germany may have some local regulations - battery operated equipment need not have a Declaration of Conformity if it has a FCC part 2 Section 2.1077(a) certificate. The power supply/charger will need a CE mark and I'm surprised the US one doesn't as they are universal units that only need a change of power cable to be used anywhere in the world.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #15
VWeed
Lese-Kaninchen

Hi Ivanjt,

the CE-sign as the officer told is missing on the device. The power-supply has one. I can't control, cause didn't get the PE into my hands.
Perhaps he was afraid, that I take this and just desert with it?
Must be really a terrorist or any other bad human. So I thought, he looked onto me. But I am a really decorous person (if nobody annoyes me)

The power supply of the PE has in oposite to my EE just a fix build in cable what is not plugable into the transformer. So the complete power supply is for waste unfortunately as it seems.

In my oppinion it should be totally unimportant for any civil officer, if I will understand a manual or not. My affair, if I buy in an other country. If it'll be written in english, well no problem in all.
Perhaps for the officer, but i have a highschool diplome. I assume he's just learned russian language while spending schooltime.

What should this reprisial in all? For who's egoistic idea this regulation was made?
I am just a private person, not a dealer. Why do our gouverment temper in things they really doessn't approach them?

In other hand and with very much important stuff like garbage-selling from Germany to Africa in massive volumes, there's nobody who controls the export of alleged "usable technics" in real just garbage.

But if I buy a device from America, the whole world seems to collapse therefor.

Uh, I am so sulky about our politicians, can't say how.

Veronika

P.S. Will the PE has such a "FCC part 2 Section 2.1077(a) certificate"?
Shoul it be in the package?

Last edited by VWeed; 02-03-2012 at 10:59 AM.