Notices

Old 11-04-2007, 02:22 PM   #1
grayfox
Connoisseur
grayfox doesn't littergrayfox doesn't littergrayfox doesn't litter

Device: Razr/iLiad
Mobipocket Question...

Hi,

After several weeks of loading Computer related Doc's into my iLiad I decided to take a break and actually use the rascal to
do some light reading

I bought "Point of Impact" by Stephen Hunter from Mobipocket. It downloaded with an ugly name 'hunt+....._mb_all_r1.prc', the dots were a bunch of numbers.

I opened the rascal up and browsed a bit and when I exited I could have sworn that the ugly name had be changed to "Point Of Impact"...

However after a reboot the ugly name was back and after several reading session it stayed ugly until I retagged the file. The file is stored in /mnt/CF/Books.

Is this typical behavior?

If I want to read current/new books ie likely to be drm'ed, is mobipocket my only choice?

Thanks for any clarifications....

Jerry
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Unfortunately this happens. I think it will not happen, if you put the prc file into the Mobipocket Folder inside the books folder on the internal memory. It should then show the real name of the Book.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See the thread contentLister displays mobipocket file names after opening. I think this is consistent with your description. As tribble says, using the MobiPocket directory should work for BOOKMOBI files. An alternative, suggested in the above thread by HarryT, is simply to rename the file to whatever you want before MobiPocket Reader opens the file (leave the filename extension "as is"). Or you can edit the manifest file after MobiPocket Reader has opened the file and moved it to its own subdirectory.

Note that this undoubtedly a bug. If the ContentLister can use the title BEFORE MobiPocket Reader accesses the file, then it should certainly be able to do so AFTER access too. The manifest file (presumably created by MobiPocket Reader, or its startup script) is inconsistent with ContentLister's default behaviour for the file type.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:18 PM   #4
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Another question about Mobipocket. All the files I've put on cards so far have been .prc format. Baen just posted up some books today, and one of them is in .mobi format - will this work on the Iliad? Haven't tracked anything down yet with comments either way.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The MOBI format is a newer generation Mobipocket. Unless they messed up when they made it, it should work on your Iliad.

Oh, drat. It looks like they followed through on the upgrade they said they were planning. Now I have to go download all my ebooks again.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #6
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Well, Nate, the first part of your answer is encouraging.

And the second sends shivers down my spine.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote