Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
legender
legender began at the beginning.

Device: none
PDF organization in Kindle DX

I bought a kindle dx graphite yesterday. I would like to use it for PDF papers. But I found it is really annoying to organize the papers. I created a collection and manually added each paper to that collection. I wonder if there is a way to drag all the PDF to the collection, like something drag and copy in windows. Thanks.
legender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
martinhinsch
martinhinsch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 DXG
Check in the forum. There are a couple of programs which can be used to manage collections on the kindle.
martinhinsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
rpv
Enthusiast
rpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
I wish Amazon comes out with a software upgrade. I emailed Amazon on this.
rpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpv View Post
I wish Amazon comes out with a software upgrade. I emailed Amazon on this.
Everyone should email Amazon about that.
I already did.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinhinsch View Post
Check in the forum. There are a couple of programs which can be used to manage collections on the kindle.
Those programs seems to be some sort of hack.
Do you really need to hack your new Kindle for better book management ?
Advert
Old 12-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
martinhinsch

Well, that depends on your definition of a hack ;-).
AFAIK all of the programs basically read and modify a file called collections.json which is easily accessible (i.e. not write-protected or anything) and has a very simple format. On restart the Kindle simply reads everything it knows about collections from that file. I would call that an undocumented feature rather than a hack...
BTW I personally use a python script (created by someone on the forum IIRC) which just maps directories in the documents folder to collections. Works like a charm and makes my DX a perfect replacement for the many stacks of printouts of scientific papers I used to distribute all over the floor of my study ;-).

But I agree, more official support from Amazon would be great.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
martinhinsch

While we are at it - something I really, really would like to have would be sub-collection.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur
kenbaldwin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
martinhinsch, can you pls provide a pointer to that script? Sounds useful. Thanks
kenbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:45 PM   #9
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur
kenbaldwin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Is this it?
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1624813
kenbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
martinhinsch

Here it is.

Edit: It's indeed the same file (I made one tiny change to let the script also take care of .txt files).
Attached Files
File Type: zip KindleCollections.zip (2.7 KB, 243 views)
Old 12-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #11
SkyDream
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinhinsch View Post
Well, that depends on your definition of a hack ;-).
AFAIK all of the programs basically read and modify a file called collections.json which is easily accessible (i.e. not write-protected or anything) and has a very simple format. On restart the Kindle simply reads everything it knows about collections from that file. I would call that an undocumented feature rather than a hack...
BTW I personally use a python script (created by someone on the forum IIRC) which just maps directories in the documents folder to collections. Works like a charm and makes my DX a perfect replacement for the many stacks of printouts of scientific papers I used to distribute all over the floor of my study ;-).

But I agree, more official support from Amazon would be great.
You are right. If those programs just modify collections.json i won't call it a hack.

Tags
kindle dx, kindle dx pdf