Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Embedding fonts

Is it possible to embed fonts in EPUBs? If so, how do I practically do it?
Will such embedded fonts work with Sony Readers, specifically my PRS-500?

Last edited by AprilHare; 12-21-2009 at 05:50 PM.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Is it possible to embed fonts in EPUBs? If so, how do I practically do it?
Will such embedded fonts work with Sony Readers, specifically my PRS-500?
Yes, embedded will work on the 500. They work the same as they do on the 505 and 600.

See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36361 for more information.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 05:17 AM   #3
erik5000
erik5000 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs600
sure you can. You can put them anywhere in the directory structure, as long as you tell the .opf file where they are.
Use .otf fonts.
Here is a CSS entry in one of my epubs (the font file is in the fonts directory):

@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: normal;
font-family: "MyriadProBold" ;
src: url(fonts/MyriadPro-Bold.otf) ;
}
h1
{
font-size:20pt;
margin-bottom:20px;
font-weight: bold;
font-family: "MyriadProBold" ;
text-align: right;
}

This is the entry in content.opf:

<item id="MyriadProBold" href="fonts/MyriadPro-Bold.otf" media-type="application/vnd-ms-opentype"/>
erik5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:03 AM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Well, legally speaking, you can't embed Myriad Pro (unencrypted) if you're going to distribute the PDFs to others. There are many free fonts you can legally embed however. Look at fontsquirrel.com or kernest.com.

Last edited by frabjous; 12-25-2009 at 12:19 AM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:13 AM   #5
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
I'm trying to remember if files need to be stored not compressed, and in a specific order?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 05:50 AM   #6
erik5000
erik5000 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs600
Not fonts: they just have to be zipped into the epub, in the exact place where you say they must be (youe "say" that in the content.opf file AND in the .CSS file of course), eg. in a .\font folder.
Only the container.xml has a pre-defined place AND name: .\META-INF\container.xml.

As it is a real nuisance to have to tell the reader IN TWO PLACES, where a file must be found, I am currently building a little program to automatically make an epub FROM JUST THE HTML AND CSS files. Nothing more, nothing less. If you make valid XHTML "pages" and adhere to some easy extra rules when writing the XHTML, you need not be concerned with difficulties like building an .opf or .ncx or even an TableOfContents.html file yourself. The idea behind the program will be: if you can write XHTML and CSS, you get an epub for free.
I have Perl and ANT scripts that do just this, but i want to make a Windows program. That may be even easier to install. To get Perl, ANT and the XHTML/XML/CSS validation programs working is a little bit cumbersome for some.
If there is any interest in the two scripts, I may publish them on my site.
erik5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik5000 View Post
Not fonts: they just have to be zipped into the epub, in the exact place where you say they must be (youe "say" that in the content.opf file AND in the .CSS file of course), eg. in a .\font folder.
Only the container.xml has a pre-defined place AND name: .\META-INF\container.xml.

As it is a real nuisance to have to tell the reader IN TWO PLACES, where a file must be found, I am currently building a little program to automatically make an epub FROM JUST THE HTML AND CSS files. Nothing more, nothing less. If you make valid XHTML "pages" and adhere to some easy extra rules when writing the XHTML, you need not be concerned with difficulties like building an .opf or .ncx or even an TableOfContents.html file yourself. The idea behind the program will be: if you can write XHTML and CSS, you get an epub for free.
I have Perl and ANT scripts that do just this, but i want to make a Windows program. That may be even easier to install. To get Perl, ANT and the XHTML/XML/CSS validation programs working is a little bit cumbersome for some.
If there is any interest in the two scripts, I may publish them on my site.
Do you know that this already exists? If you zip your html and css in a file it can be used in Calibre to generate the ePUB and many other formats.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote