Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 02:02 AM   #16
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Firmware updates do happen for older models. Not as often, but they do.
But if look at the youngest non-Odyssey firmware and see that it is already 18 months old I would not expect any new firmware for these devices at all.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:53 AM   #17
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
John never had any bookeen device, but somehow, he hate them.

Update en opus and orizon where so so, ture. The gen 3 was one of the device i had update for the longest time.

I think bookeen's point in making an "odyssey frontlight", was precisely to be able to follow all the device at a lesser cost.

prs-T1, I never looked for updates. It does its job imho. A good reader is not a reader where you have lot of updates, it's a reader that does what you need it to do.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 02-01-2013 at 02:56 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #18
jball
jball began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen odyssey
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Well, my cybook is definitively bricked.

Not sure, last time it did that. Then finally restarted, updated and all.

I'm in the same situation as " EowynCarter ".
Updated my Odyssey via Wifi last night :
- download OK,
- update OK,
but since then the ebook is stuck on 'Starting Up' page !

Is it bricked ???

Got in touch with Bookeen (via their website) and they want me to take the device to their offices in Paris today (or send it to them via the post office!)

I'll keep you updated on what happens.
jball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #19
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
There are several similar reportings on the German forum (not at mobileread) too.
I'm glad my Bookeen had no problems at all with both updates, 5.1 and 5.2.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #20
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jball View Post
I'm in the same situation as " EowynCarter ".
Updated my Odyssey via Wifi last night :
- download OK,
- update OK,
but since then the ebook is stuck on 'Starting Up' page !

Is it bricked ???

Got in touch with Bookeen (via their website) and they want me to take the device to their offices in Paris today (or send it to them via the post office!)

I'll keep you updated on what happens.
Ah ; I have an "updating" page, not "starting up"
If you haven't done so, charge it for a while.

Then hold "power" for 10 seonds. That should switch off the cybook if it's on. Then start it again. (There's no visible thing when the cybook switch off, but you see a flash when switching on.)
Old 02-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #21
jball

Quote:
Ah ; I have an "updating" page, not "starting up"
If you haven't done so, charge it for a while.

Then hold "power" for 10 seonds. That should switch off the cybook if it's on. Then start it again. (There's no visible thing when the cybook switch off, but you see a flash when switching on.)

Ah, OK, an update problem, where mine was a starting up after update problem.

Anyway, just come back from Paris, from Bookeen offices.

The technician told me he could repair my device by force flashing it, but that he prefered to give me a new one.
I came away with the latest HD Frontlight model in exchange for my V2.

That's what I call 'Customer service'
Excellent, can't give Bookeen Paris enough praise.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #22
EowynCarter
Wizard

Yeap, i'll gave my cybook a chance to restart "by itself", then i'll go at bookeen too.

Mine went weirdo at last update, then worked fine, and crashed again.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #23
jball

Quote:
Yeap, i'll gave my cybook a chance to restart "by itself", then i'll go at bookeen too.

Mine went weirdo at last update, then worked fine, and crashed again.

Don't hesitate to go to see them in Paris (27 rue de la Vistule - Paris), they're really cool !

I used their website to create a ticket and their technician (Benjamin) proposed that I either take the device directly to them in Paris for replacement or that he send me a postal form in order to send the device back to them without me having to pay for the postage.

If you go to Paris to take your device back, take just the device (no cover on it) as he proposed to give me the Bookeen cover & mains power charger in compendation for having brought the device back to them and inconvenience caused. I already had the cover and the mains power charger is of no real use to me, I've got loads of them from telephones and things.

Keep me up to date with how it goes.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #24
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jball View Post
Don't hesitate to go to see them in Paris (27 rue de la Vistule - Paris), they're really cool !

I used their website to create a ticket and their technician (Benjamin) proposed that I either take the device directly to them in Paris for replacement or that he send me a postal form in order to send the device back to them without me having to pay for the postage.

If you go to Paris to take your device back, take just the device (no cover on it) as he proposed to give me the Bookeen cover & mains power charger in compendation for having brought the device back to them and inconvenience caused. I already had the cover and the mains power charger is of no real use to me, I've got loads of them from telephones and things.

Keep me up to date with how it goes.
They're not that far from where i work. Someone there at lunch time ? I don't worry, i had my share of returning cybooks. (I've been suffering some curse with odysseys)
Old 02-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #25
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
For the records, I updated my Odyssey (first version) via wifi, and the update went smoothly.

(Still no option for manually selecting the dictionary or searching into the EPUB text, but --- you know --- who did really expect those? :P)

Last edited by AlPe; 02-03-2013 at 02:01 PM.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:43 AM   #26
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
I've got the problem on two devices, and it seems that the FAT is corrupted on the user partition and the device in this case took forever to start an update.
When I say forever, it take for one more than one night, I plug it at around 19h, and found it back at nearly 10h updated and restarted into USB connection.

So do a fsck/scandisk/chkdsk on your device before trying to update it.

Be sure to always cleanly eject your device before removing the USB plug!
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #27
EowynCarter
Wizard

Mmm, that would explain why it finally decided to restart the first time.

Makes sense. I'll remember to be nicer to my cybook.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 02-07-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #28
R3rr0
R3rr0 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Odyssey
After the update, there's a new hidden folder inside Digital Editions, named Tags (still empty even if there are books that contain tags in memory). Anyone knows what's the purpose of this folder?
R3rr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #29
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
I just tried to update the firmware, and got " This update isn't compatible with your e-reader. Please re-start your e-reader." .

Have anyone else recieved that message?

Last edited by mikaelalind; 04-07-2013 at 11:01 AM.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #30
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And which device is this 5.2 firmware for?
I've updated the thread title.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote