Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #166
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by danni View Post
With another wireless access point installed in another network it works
Okay good, so we know it's not your ereader that is having problems

Quote:
but I don't understand which is the problem with kobo and cisco aironet 1200. All my other devices (notebooks, phones) have no problems with it.
They might just not like each other. I know Macs often don't like linksys... But it could also be one of the things davidfor mentioned.

Quote:
I don't have MAC address filtering. What do you mean for "run out of ip addresses"?
The router is set to allocate IP addresses to the devices that make contact with it. Those IP addresses come out of a set range, say from 192.168.254.10 to 192.168.254.40. If that range is smaller than the number of devices you have that connect, you'll run out of IP addresses to give out, and the newest device won't be able to connect. Usually the range is wide enough, but if you're a family of 6 with 6 smartphones and 6 laptops and 6 iPod touches and 5 ereaders etc then the 6th ereader might not fit... You can manually change the range inside the router.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 01-12-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #167
danni
danni knows the square root of minus one.danni knows the square root of minus one.danni knows the square root of minus one.danni knows the square root of minus one.danni knows the square root of minus one.danni knows the square root of minus one.danni knows the square root of minus one.danni knows the square root of minus one.danni knows the square root of minus one.danni knows the square root of minus one.danni knows the square root of minus one.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Okay good, so we know it's not your ereader that is having problems
They might just not like each other. I know Macs often don't like linksys... But it could also be one of the things davidfor mentioned.
The router is set to allocate IP addresses to the devices that make contact with it. Those IP addresses come out of a set range, say from 192.168.254.10 to 192.168.254.40. If that range is smaller than the number of devices you have that connect, you'll run out of IP addresses to give out, and the newest device won't be able to connect. Usually the range is wide enough, but if you're a family of 6 with 6 smartphones and 6 laptops and 6 iPod touches and 5 ereaders etc then the 6th ereader might not fit... You can manually change the range inside the router.
OK this is not my problem... IP range is large enougth for all my devices.

Ap is cisco (not linksys). It is generally used in enterprise networks.

I think that the problem is not my ereader but all "kobo ereaders" that have a firmware that don't manage correctly wifi connection.
danni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #168
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK this is not my problem... IP range is large enougth for all my devices.

Ap is cisco (not linksys). It is generally used in enterprise networks.

I think that the problem is not my ereader but all "kobo ereaders" that have a firmware that don't manage correctly wifi connection.
Yeah I saw you mention cisco, my example of linksys was just to illustrate some routers just don't communicate well with some devices. And I agree with you, it seems Kobo doesn't like Cisco. I did a search but couldn't find any known issues with Kobo and Cisco though. And funnily enough, Kobobooks has a Cisco Router Configuration Handbook in ebook form, haha (not that it's relevant at all, just ironic).

Have you tried changing your Wifi frequency yet? Another thing to consider is your firewall... you could (temporarily) switch that off and see if it changes anything.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #169
danni
danni knows the square root of minus one.danni knows the square root of minus one.danni knows the square root of minus one.danni knows the square root of minus one.danni knows the square root of minus one.danni knows the square root of minus one.danni knows the square root of minus one.danni knows the square root of minus one.danni knows the square root of minus one.danni knows the square root of minus one.danni knows the square root of minus one.

Device: kobo glo
eureka (perhaps)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Have you tried changing your Wifi frequency yet? Another thing to consider is your firewall... you could (temporarily) switch that off and see if it changes anything.
Some updates on my situation...

Yesterday I was finally able to connect for some moments koboglo to my access point with these configurations:
1. set up a dhcp manual binding for Koboglo
2. change wifi channel.

On channel 1, 4, 6, it didn't connect; on channel 2 it connected for some seconds and then it disconntected; on channel 3 it connected, started the update process and, at about 30%, it disconnected for a generic "network error".
I completed my set up with kobo desktop and then I could connect with koboglo to synchronize and to browse internet.

I'll do other tests for verify if it works better on other channels.
danni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #170
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Some updates on my situation...

Yesterday I was finally able to connect for some moments koboglo to my access point with these configurations:
1. set up a dhcp manual binding for Koboglo
2. change wifi channel.

On channel 1, 4, 6, it didn't connect; on channel 2 it connected for some seconds and then it disconntected; on channel 3 it connected, started the update process and, at about 30%, it disconnected for a generic "network error".
I completed my set up with kobo desktop and then I could connect with koboglo to synchronize and to browse internet.

I'll do other tests for verify if it works better on other channels.
Oh nice!! Glad to hear you have some progress.

For what it's worth, my wireless is set to "automatic" channel selection and the operating channel is 4. Mode is 802.11b/g/n mixed. I've never had problems (I have a Zyxel).
Old 04-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #171
Jerry Kimmel
Jerry478
Jerry Kimmel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo mini, Kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious View Post
Well, now I'm experiencing a new issue. Randomly, the Kobo will forget the known networks. If I try to sync wirelessly, sometimes it'll work flawlessly, other times it'll show me a list of networks available as if I have never connected to one before. I'll go into the edit wireless networks tab under settings and find that the Kobo has forgotten the network it previously connected to. This forces me to run through the whole connection process again along with all the problems that was stated before.

Anyone else get this problem?
yes I am It's getting to be a real pain in the ass to constantly enter a lengthy password to get into my wifi network.
Jerry Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:02 AM   #172
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Kimmel View Post
yes I am It's getting to be a real pain in the ass to constantly enter a lengthy password to get into my wifi network.
Same trouble here, also with my Glo. I have a WiFi password with more than 50 chars and re-entering really sucks
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #173
Ash2Ash
Ash2Ash began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Hi
A relative was having the same trouble with their Kobo Touch.
current software version 2.5.2

The router used was setup to use WEP as an old eMac is being used in the house and can only connect via WiFi using this security setting.
The Kobo though originally could connect to this router but then stopped working with no way of connecting to the WiFi network following any of the reset options. Can only think an update would have caused this.

The password used for the router contained a $ sign so I changed the password to contain only normal lower case letters and numbers. The Kobo now has no problems connecting at all on WEP security setting.

Hope this helps some people having trouble connecting.
Ash2Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #174
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash2Ash View Post
<snip> The password used for the router contained a $ sign so I changed the password to contain only normal lower case letters and numbers. The Kobo now has no problems connecting at all on WEP security setting.

Hope this helps some people having trouble connecting.

I remember when I was having issues connecting my touch to wifi my password also had a $ in it. When I got a new router, we had to change the password and that is when I could finally get my touch to connect. Whether it was the new router, or the new password without a $ I don't know, but it is worth a shot if you are having issues and have a $ in your password to try changing it

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #175
phaeri
phaeri began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook lux 4
FIX

I was having the same issues. Connecting, staying connected, remembering networks. Not working the new POCKET feature.

When I bought my kobo it was fine. After updates it wasn't. Nothing worked.

But now I just backed up my reader.
I did a factory reset (too bad for stats)

And the latest update was installed through kobo desktop.

It worked perfectly. No problems now

Hope it helps!
phaeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #176
Geeky
Enthusiast
Geeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: none
I'm having trouble with WiFi connections.

My setup: WiFi router with DHCP enabled. 802.11 n/b/g. WPA2-PSK with password. SSID broadcast enabled. WLan chipset Ralink RT3062. Kobo Touch N905 with firmware 3.0.0.

Usually I disable Wlan on the Kobo. I only activate it to sync Pocket. Unfortunately I don't have coverage in the whole house. If I try to sync (and WLan get's activated in the process) while I'm out of range my eReader scans for networks. Usually only my neighbors network shows up (they placed their router in a better place). Anyway, during this process my Touch "forgets" my network. So if I come within range again, I will have to reenter the network password. Every. Time. This is very annoying.
Geeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #177
biberli
biberli began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Finally, I got my Kobo Glo to connect to wifi. Changed my password to only include Alphanumeric.
biberli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #178
Clixworker
Clixworker began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Apologies if I get this post wrong - I've just joined and don't know my way around yet.

I see that this is an old-ish thread but then so is my possible solution to some of the problems encountered.

Some software does not handle password entry very well. It remembers every keystroke. So if you mis-type a character, delete it and retype it, the entry box looks correct, but the string passed onwards includes the wrong character and the backspace. I haven't come across this for years, but maybe in the Kobo system...?

My particular WiFi router has a password that is alphanumeric, but demands uppercase alpha. On a kobo touchscreen that is easy to get wrong and have to correct which results in a bad password being sent. As I said, "maybe".
Clixworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:24 PM   #179
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@clixworker: LOL... This reminded me of a story I was told years ago regarding some staff who had done training of factory users on using a DEC-10 system. When the instructors logged on via an LA120 DECWriter they had made a typing mistake on the password, and so, had carefully backspaced to correct it.

Months later they observed the staff logging on, and .... they were still backspacing while entering the password.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #180
samyin999
samyin999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hi, I am new to mobile read, but I am in desperate need for help. Like everyone else on this post, my wifi wasn't working for my Kobo touch, but for me when my Kobo scans for wifi it just gets stuck on the loading screen saying "scanning for networks". I have tried nearly all the methods people have, from scanning for networks manually to updating firmware to changing the network types on my modem, but nothing seemed to help. Has anyone had any similar problems such as mine?
samyin999 is offline   Reply With Quote