Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:25 PM   #46
malweth
malweth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.malweth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.malweth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.malweth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 1gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
tlrowley: The next version will have better diagnostics, but I'm guessing that your genre tags are populated with some tags that are confusing matters for the Catalog generator. I've observed that if you use the 'Social metadata' feature and let the tags field be populated by whatever comes down the tube, you end up with dozens of genre categories that aren't meaningful or useful. While we're waiting for the next release, if you could review your tags in use, consolidate and simplify, getting rid of ones you don't care about, that will go a long way. I know you have a lot of books, but you can use the bulk metadata editing feature to clear out tags you're not using or don't care about.
See the end of the first post in this thread for some tagging tips.

G
I'm also having this problem (no TOC). The only strange tags I have are ones that have a dash... "Non-Fiction" and "Non-Classifiable" (without quotes) are tags. I cleaned up all the tags from "Social metadata" and limited it to my own selections. I also have a tag with an ampersand, "Language & Linguistics"

Recreating the catalog with these special characters removed (the oddest character is now a space) results in the same problem. No TOC.

My preferred device is Kindle, and I am using MOBI output.

Spoiler:

Generate catalog
Catalog_EPUB_MOBI:run
path_to_output: [...]
Output format: mobi
Book count: 80
opts:
basename: Catalog
catalog_title: Catalog
creator: calibre
descriptionClip: 250
exclude_genre: \[[\w ]*\]
exclude_tags: ~,Catalog,Reference
fmt: mobi
log: <calibre.utils.logging.Log object at 0x037A8CB0>
note_tag: *
output_profile: kindle
plugin_path: <class 'calibre.library.catalog.EPUB_MOBI'>
read_tag: +
search_text: None
sort_by: None
verbose: True
CatalogBuilder(): Generating mobi for kindle
0.00% fetchBooksByTitle()
0.08% fetchBooksByAuthor()
0.15% generateHTMLDescriptions()
0.23% generateHTMLByTitle()
0.31% generateHTMLByAuthor()
0.38% generateHTMLByTags()
0.46% generateOPF()
0.54% generateNCXHeader()
0.62% generateNCXDescriptions()
0.69% generateNCXByTitle()
0.77% generateNCXByAuthor()
0.85% generateNCXByTags()
0.92% writeNCX()
InputFormatPlugin: HTML Input running
on c:\docume~1\tamayote\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.6.36_ ibpkyb_epub_mobi_catalog\Catalog.opf
Parsing all content...
Initial parse failed:
Parsing file 'content/book_81.html' as HTML
Forcing content/book_81.html into XHTML namespace
Merging user specified metadata...
Detecting structure...
Flattening CSS and remapping font sizes...
Source base font size is 12.00000pt
Cleaning up manifest...
Trimming unused files from manifest...
Creating MOBI Output...
Applying case-transforming CSS...
Rasterizing SVG images...
Converting XHTML to Mobipocket markup...
Serializing markup content...
Compressing markup content...
MOBI periodical specified, evaluating TOC for periodical conformance ...
TOC structure conforms
Generating structured CTOC ...
CNCX utilization: 1 record, 44% full
Indexing navPoints ...
Generating INDX ...
Serializing images...
MOBI output written to [...]
Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 PM   #47
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
I've never used "social metadata" (turned it off as soon as it was implemented) and I don't really have any odd tags. The oddest would be dates, such as 2010-01. I'll give it another try when you put the better diagnostics in place.

LMK how I can help.

Tracey
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #48
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Well, I have cleaned up my books, added tags, series and downloaded covers and created the catalogue with no problems. Not sure if this has been asked, but can it sort by authors? Titles doesnt really help me much. And how do I select not to have tags? Or do I have to delete them altogether first?
Old 01-27-2010, 03:57 AM   #49
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
Hi,
Just tried the catalog feature, and like it. I do have one suggestion: in CSV setting, if we select format, then the CSV should only show the available format (epub/lit/mobi/ etc), instead of the directory and filename.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:29 AM   #50
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
malweth: According to the log, this build was successful.

If you don't have Send catalog to device automatically checked in the Create Catalog dialog, you will need to select the 'My Books' title in your library, then click 'Send to Device' to manually transfer the generated catalog to your Kindle.

If that doesn't resolve it, I'll need to see the 'My Books' catalog mobi file. Click Save to disk|Save single format to disk|MOBI, save to your desktop, PM me the file (preferably zipped).
G
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 07:29 AM   #51
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

tlrowley: We should be able to get a better handle with the next build, thx for your patience.

G
Old 01-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #52
GRiker

Pushka:
The generated catalog will have 3 or 4 sections:
  • Descriptions These are the individual pages created for each book, with details from the book's metadata.
  • Titles List of all books sorted by title
  • Authors List of all books sorted by author
  • Genres (only created if your database has tags interpreted as genres). List of books by genre.

On the Kindle, you will see this structure when you open the Catalog's TOC by pressing the 'View Sections List' button.

If that's not what you're seeing, please post your build log.

G
Old 01-27-2010, 07:36 AM   #53
GRiker

hapmas77: Fixed in next release.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 01-27-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:03 AM   #54
GinnyB
GinnyB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Going to just remove it

Calibre is so confusing. I've spent more time for naught. I think it needs a lot of bugs worked out so that non-computer folks can use it w/o having to modify tags or come to a forum that is over my head to try to get it to work. Now the first book (user manual) is gone. This just isn't worth the frustration.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:08 AM   #55
GRiker

If you have any text typed in the Search: field, click the icon with the 'x' at the far right of the search box to clear your search criteria. That will show all your books.

To find the guide, type 'Calibre' in the search box, you should see it listed in the filtered results.

Don't hesitate to ask questions, folks are helpful here.

G
Old 01-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #56
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyB View Post
Calibre is so confusing. I've spent more time for naught. I think it needs a lot of bugs worked out so that non-computer folks can use it w/o having to modify tags or come to a forum that is over my head to try to get it to work. Now the first book (user manual) is gone. This just isn't worth the frustration.
That is no good, and after we forgave you for dumping a load of error messages on our nice forum.

But seriously, you should stick with Calibre. It is superb at what it does and when it does have problems they tend to get fixed pretty quickly. You/we are having some problems with a catalog function which didn't even exist a few days ago. It will get fixed. Even if it takes a while to get it so that everyone is happy (impossible), the rest of Calibre will be no worse than it was before ie damned good.

Hope that makes sense, stick with Calibre.

Last edited by banjomike; 01-27-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #57
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Pushka:
The generated catalog will have 3 or 4 sections:
  • Descriptions These are the individual pages created for each book, with details from the book's metadata.
  • Titles List of all books sorted by title
  • Authors List of all books sorted by author
  • Genres (only created if your database has tags interpreted as genres). List of books by genre.

On the Kindle, you will see this structure when you open the Catalog's TOC by pressing the 'View Sections List' button.

If that's not what you're seeing, please post your build log.

G
Yep, I see that know. Was wondering why I had 500 'pages' for 130 books! Looks great, kudos to you!
I think Calibre is pretty easy to use actually, and I am an oldie!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:21 AM   #58
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
And how do I select not to have tags? Or do I have to delete them altogether first?
To exclude all tags as genres, you need to change the regex expression in the EPUB/MOBI options tab from '\[[\w ]*\]' (which excludes tags of the form [tag]) to simply '.' - just a period, no single quotes. This will exclude all tags as genres.

The next release will have added help text in the EPUB/MOBI tab regarding the regex for exclude_tags.

G
Old 01-28-2010, 09:45 AM   #59
GRiker

tlrowley: Please try generating a catalog with '.' (no quotes, just the period) in the regex for exclude_tags field in the EPUB/MOBI dialog. That eliminates genres from the build.

If that works, then there's an issue with your tags. The next release will have improved diagnostics to help me track it down.

G
Old 01-28-2010, 10:52 AM   #60
GRiker

Jean:
Your problem has something to do with the metadata associated with a specific book in your collection. In order to see the offending metadata, we need to find the book whose id is 83. Unfortunately, there's no direct way to do that in the GUI, so we need to do it from the command line.
  1. Open a DOS command window (on Windows, Start|Run ..., cmd.exe). After the cmd window opens, type
    Code:
    cd desktop
    calibredb catalog problem.csv --ids=83
  2. Attach the file 'problem.csv' to your original problem posting, or a new posting in this thread.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 01-28-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
book catalog