Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you used the sony software/store?
I use the Sony software and have bought from the store 73 52.90%
I use the Sony software to manage my reader but have not bought from the store 21 15.22%
I have not used the software nor have I bought from the store 30 21.74%
Other 14 10.14%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Have you used the Sony software/store, or not?

I have a Sony 505 and have never even looked at the Sony cd. I have a Mac, so it would not work for me, and I don't like buying formats which are tied to a specific device or brand. I have been buying from Fictionwise and reading freebies.

I am curious if my situation is a common one and there are a ton of Sony Reader owners out there who are using their readers without making use of the Sony software and store
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
I've used the Sony Store to download freebies and created a wishlist of books I'd like to buy, but as of yet I have not purchased anything from them.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I only use the Sony software, as it does exactly what I need it to do. I primarily buy from Sony, but have previously picked up books here and at Fictionwise (multiformat only).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Also, there is a workaround for mac users. I guess they use VMWare, I can't tell you much about it.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You're not alone, ficbot. In the year that I had my PRS-500, I never looked at the Sony eBook store once. I did, however - and still do - use the software, because it contains an excellent Reader "emulator" which is extremely handy when one is creating books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
ReD
Enthusiast
ReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toys

Device: Sony PRS-700, PRS-300, PRS-T1, Kobo Arc
I use the Sony software to manage all of my books and have bought a few books from the Sony store. Ever since I figured out how to strip DRM though, I've been buying quite a bit from fictionwise. I rather like the Sony software, it's very simple and straightforward.
ReD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #7
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjones View Post
I've used the Sony Store to download freebies and created a wishlist of books I'd like to buy, but as of yet I have not purchased anything from them.
Same here.
I've been using Calibre and ADE to upload books onto my 505.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I got my PRS 505 from Borders a few weeks ago, and immediately bought one book from Sony. Then I discovered that I couldn’t read it on my Windows Mobile phone. I like to have the comfort of eInk while at home but the convenience of the portability of my phone while out and about.

I obsessively searched for a work around, and discovered that I could De-DRM MobiPocket files with MobiDeDRM.py , then convert them to LRF or ePub with Calibre and read them on the Sony. Even though it’s a little more hassle, I’ll not be buying any more LRX books from Sony or anyone else. As far as I’m concerned, Sony has shot itself in the foot with its greedy proprietary format. The same would be true for Amazon had I opted for a Kindle.

Now if there was only a way to keep my Sony and my phone synchronized all would be wonderful. Ah, I guess I can’t have everything!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
As far as I’m concerned, Sony has shot itself in the foot with its greedy proprietary format. The same would be true for Amazon had I opted for a Kindle.
Sony always uses proprietary formats. Except for Blu-Ray -- I was shocked when that was the format that won! With Sony behind it, I figured it wouldn't be the popular choice for other distributors.

I use the Sony store and software. I'm currently not interested in going through extra work to read my books, although being the computer geek that I am, I'm sure that will change eventually. At the moment, I'm satisfied with buying my books there and using my computer time for other activities.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #10
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
I use the software and buy books from Sony but it is a rare occurrence. I bought a couple of books soon after getting my Reader, but since then I've primarily stuck to freebies or downloads from MR, manybooks, or feedbooks.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I just bought mine last month and didn't even bother to open the cd. I am only interested in free public domain books. I also don't trust any big companies and refuse to digitally register my ereader with Big Brother.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:21 PM   #12
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Sony is my #1 source for purchased ebooks. Fictionwise is #2, but I'm still getting most of mine free here and at Manybooks etc. Sony's prices compare favorably, at least on the books I buy, though I've seen some high prices on others on the main menu. They also have gift cards, which I'm encouraging my ebook illiterate friends and relatives to buy me.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
Sony is my #1 source for purchased ebooks. Fictionwise is #2, but I'm still getting most of mine free here and at Manybooks etc. Sony's prices compare favorably, at least on the books I buy, though I've seen some high prices on others on the main menu. They also have gift cards, which I'm encouraging my ebook illiterate friends and relatives to buy me.
I love that my mom can send me gift certificates from her ebook library. She has a Reader too.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #14
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
I like the Sony software and store

I've bought hundreds of books from them - including about 150 of the free classics. In the past three years, we've owned 3 500s (got total of 150 free classics and $150 in credits at the store with them) and 4 505s. We currently have 388 credits for free classics that we'll never redeem.

I do like that they have a lot of new releases at what I feel are decent prices. I can get new Dean Koontz releases for about $12. That's a great discount, in my opinion. After all, they still have to pay for the editing, formatting, and they have to pay the author for his intellectual property.

Edited to add: I do love that I can buy prepaid cards for the Sony bookstore. That's a great way to budget. If I'm out of prepaid credits, I wait to buy the book. Unless, of course, it's a new Dean Koontz. Then it goes on the backup credit card, but that IS an emergency!
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #15
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I have bought 2 books from sony and 5 books from BooksOnBoard. I am satisfied with both websites, and will continue to shop at both. I tried to learn how to convert/strip DRM, but It was frustratingly complicated so I gave up. Luckily I read alot of Fiction Bestseller type books as well as romance, and all the websites I've seen have an abundance of these genres. I also get books from my library and I have downloaded a couple free books.

I like the idea of the prepaid cards!! I will have to check that out. Thanks for sharing that tip.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote