Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-27-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
Firynze
Firynze began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, HP TouchPad, Entourage Pocket eDGe
Netflix on Pocket Edge?

Okay, I'm sure this has been addressed several times, but I can't seem to find an answer when I do a series of searches on the topic here, so I figured I'd just come out and ask.

If an app that I've sideloaded won't connect or update, that means it won't run on my new Pocket Edge, right?

I've sideloaded Netflix, and it kinda-sorta works. I can log in, and get to my queue, and tell it to start playing something. It attempts to load the video ,and then tells me there's a new version of the application. If I click OK to update, it hangs. If I click cancel, it drops me back to the queue screen rather than starting the video.

I'm guessing this means the Netflix app is incompatible with a Pocket Edge running Ermine, then, despite the fact that it's TRYING to, right?

The APK I'm using is the latest as of 9/13/2011, so I'm thinking it's not a real update that it's asking for...

Any thoughts/help/tips?

(my Pocket Edge is brand new, just out of the box tonight, upgraded to Ermine and not rooted)
Firynze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Congratulations on your new eDGe, Firynze!

The Netflix app behaves just as you have described (except for the wanting to update) for most people who have tried it. Here's the most recent thread on the subject: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=netflix.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
Firynze

Thanks, Filark!

I'm having fun playing with it for right now, even without Netflix - or Hulu, or apparently Youtube. I can't watch Youtube on the site, and the "Tube" app that installed with Ermine keeps telling me it's failing to retrieve the video.

Still, it seems to work pretty well for simple web browsing and editing documents. Now I have to see what I can do with Dropbox, Box.net, and possibly using GDocs on it in some manner, and then see what the eInk functionality/crossover is like!

Before you know it, I'll be rooting the poor thing and really messing around to see what the functionality's like.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firynze View Post
I can't watch Youtube on the site, and the "Tube" app that installed with Ermine keeps telling me it's failing to retrieve the video.

If you use either the Miren or xScope browser and go directly to the YouTube web page the videos will play.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
Firynze

Thanks, Obsessed2! I'll give that a shot.

Anyone know if Amazon Prime streams to the eDGe?
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 03:02 AM   #6
zephyrjs
zephyrjs began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
FWIW, I have 1.6 installed and it still does the same thing. Does not work.

I actually called Netflix a while back when 1.5.2 was the latest, and they told me that they were still struggling to get it working on tablets in general, but they are working on it. So, we'll see.... Maybe I'll call them again and see if they want to get 1.6.x working for the edge.
zephyrjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
Jeff Butler
Jeff Butler began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
I thought I had read somewhere that Netflix would probably never work on the PE due to te processor we have...

Jeff
Jeff Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Butler View Post
I thought I had read somewhere that Netflix would probably never work on the PE due to te processor we have...

Jeff

The processor will support Flash however, Entourage decided not to take full advantage of the processor. For example, the Marvel PXA168 processor supports Flash and is scalable to 1.2 GHz (it's running at 800 MHz on the Edge).

http://www.marvell.com/selector_guid...pxa_168_pb.pdf

Another owner got Hulu working:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=flash
Old 01-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
The update I installed on my Nook Color in mid-December enabled Netflix and it works flawlessly. I never use it, though, lol. For one thing, it requires wifi (not always convenient) and my PE plays so many more file formats, I find it easier to just load movies and TV shows I might want to watch onto a micro SD card or flash drive and watch that way.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
zephyrjs
zephyrjs began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
I read the same thing about the processor; however, that just doesn't make sense. Movies run fine on the eDGe so there's no reason in the world why Netflix wouldn't work. I would expect bandwidth to be a limitation far more than any processor.
zephyrjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired
hilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-books

Firenze and others, I updated my 1.6 to 2.2, and I play Youtube flawlessly. For some reason, the application won't launch from the "Tube" icon. However, I go to Google (HOME PAGE). In the upper right corner, there's a "More" radio button. Click on that, then click on Youtube. IF you're updated using Obsessed2's update, it should work. At least it has for me.
hilaryfrompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #12
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryfrompa View Post
Firenze and others, I updated my 1.6 to 2.2, and I play Youtube flawlessly. For some reason, the application won't launch from the "Tube" icon. However, I go to Google (HOME PAGE). In the upper right corner, there's a "More" radio button. Click on that, then click on Youtube. IF you're updated using Obsessed2's update, it should work. At least it has for me.

The Tube Icon was installed as part of the Entourage package. Just like the Store App, Update App etc., the Tube App is defunct and you can touch and hold it and drag it to the Trash.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired
hilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-books

Thanks for the head's up, Obsessed2 (wish you had a short name, like...Jim, or Joe Anyway, can you tell us what other icons we can get rid of, and thanks for all the hard work.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired

Zephyr (or anybody), How do you run movies on a PE?
Old 01-14-2012, 04:08 AM   #15
Yivi
Shhh I'm reading...
Yivi began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe - iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryfrompa View Post
Zephyr (or anybody), How do you run movies on a PE?
I put the movies (mp4) on the SD card and play with the movie player. ES File Explorer can play movies too.

Otherwise you can run movies from a NAS. Look here ...
Yivi is offline   Reply With Quote