Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-05-2010, 03:34 AM   #1
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
Unholy Union

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sindle 1.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	577.3 KB
ID:	62334 Click image for larger version

Name:	Sindle 2.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	62335

Look at this unlikely combination! I'm sure I'm not the first to have tried this, but I was amazed at how well it actually worked. I was cleaning my closet tonight and came across my box of old Sony accessories. In it was that lightwedge style Sony 505 reading light ... I set it on top of the Kindle 3 and it was nearly a perfect fit. Honestly, the thing is probably just a few millimeters from looking like it was designed to work with the K3. Crazy.

Of course it isn't attached or anything, but I think the results are still pretty surprising, all things considered.
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:51 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Interesting. How does it attach or does it just sit on top of the Kindle? In other words if you are reading with the Kindle at an angle will it just fall off?
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 03:56 AM   #3
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, not attached. I just turned it on and set it there and was surprised how good it looked. Actually, even as imperfectly as it fit, the light is good enough that I'd love to have an official light just like this.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:23 AM   #4
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Looks very good.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
you should send the pics to the original manufacturer!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Cool! A couple of rubber bands to attach it, and you have a DIY winner.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Oh, from my initial look it appeared to be just the cylinder and the left "hood" but now I noticed there's an entire "lucite" plastic plate that covers over the screen - yes????
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
Exer
I see Russia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Oh, from my initial look it appeared to be just the cylinder and the left "hood" but now I noticed there's an entire "lucite" plastic plate that covers over the screen - yes????
Exactly right, it covers the entire screen.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Lightwedge at one time was supposed to make a lighted cover for Kindle 1. Nothing ever came of it. Another company created a similar lighted cover for K2 but I'm not sure if it was ever released, at least I've not heard of anyone ever actually getting on.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:07 AM   #10
CyberpunkDad
Neuromancer Fanboi
CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 / 3G
Looks Ghettolicious. Exer, see my updates comments on the Octovo Solis I received 3 days ago for the K3. You will want one. Damn nice little light and should work for your Oberon. Don't think it would work on the Quill.
CyberpunkDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exer View Post
I think the results are still pretty surprising, all things considered.
All things considered, they use the same 6" display, so it's not that surprising.

Pretty cool light, though.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #12
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Also--off topic of course--looks like you're enjoying The Passage. I'm happy to hear the author has a couple of follow-up books in the works.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #13
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
A Sony 505 accessory with a Kindle? Dude, that's about as Kosher as a bacon double cheeseburger.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one with a closet full of retired gizmos. Your ability to repurpose part of your old Lightwedge case has validated my belief that I might someday find a use for some of my own buried treasure.

Seriously, though, that does look like a near perfect fit. None of the standard sized Lightwedges or Verilux lenses are nearly so well suited.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #14
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
I used that accessory for my 505 years ago. It makes the text very blurry, IMO.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:22 AM   #15
Exer
I see Russia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
Also--off topic of course--looks like you're enjoying The Passage. I'm happy to hear the author has a couple of follow-up books in the works.
Second time reading through it, to be honest. I think it is my favorite book of the year. I didn't expected it to be so good, but it turned out to be exactly the kind of story I love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberpunkDad View Post
Looks Ghettolicious. Exer, see my updates comments on the Octovo Solis I received 3 days ago for the K3. You will want one. Damn nice little light and should work for your Oberon. Don't think it would work on the Quill.
I'm thinking of picking it up. My lady let slip that she might of got me a new Oberon for Christmas. OK, she didn't let it slip, I just happened to "overhear" her telling her mom about it over the phone -- while she thought I was still in the garage working. Shh, don't tell her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
It's good to know that I'm not the only one with a closet full of retired gizmos. Your ability to repurpose part of your old Lightwedge case has validated my belief that I might someday find a use for some of my own buried treasure.
It is almost amazing how often some old piece of tech will come in handy. I have family and friends call me up all the time asking if I have something-or-other that they need. Old power-bricks seem to be especially handy. Rather than pay another 30 bucks to get one for a new toy, I usually just go through my boxes of them and find one that works perfectly.

Tags
505, kindle, light, reading light