Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
RussMeyer
RussMeyer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Clip on light?

Can any one recommend a good clip on light for the Kobo. Preferably an LED one available here in Canada. Having a back lit screen is the only thing I miss about reading on my Nintendo DS.
RussMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
Why didn't I think of that?
Dollarama or Buck or Two and I think Princess Auto has a decent one.
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
This might be an option --> http://www.energizer.ca/lighting-personal.aspx

I do see it at Futureshop
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
RussMeyer
RussMeyer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I saw that Energizer one at London Drugs. It uses lithium batteries, I would prefer one that takes AAA batteries because they are cheap and readily available and I would have the option of using rechargeables. I was thinking of this one.
http://www.mightybright.com/Book_Lights/24/ProductDetail.html
RussMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:19 AM   #5
aar3on
aar3on began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Choose carefully. I've got two book lights that I've picked up over the years. One I got at Chapters, it's rechargeable and really bright. Too bright for the Kobo. The Kobo may look like print on paper but it is still reflects light more than paper. So the bright light reflects off the front and makes a hot spot that you have to keep tilting to read.
The second on is much dimmer, but it has a goose neck so I can bend it out of the way so that it doesn't shine strait down and reflect back at the eyes. Sort of across from the side which works fairly well.
aar3on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was just up at the Chapters at the 401 and Kennedy in Toronto. Under the table where they had Kobo's on display (and no... I did NOT turn them all over to Video Poker), they had a basket full of XtraFlex 2 LED Light --> http://www.mightybright.com/Book_Lig...uctDetail.html

I picked one up, and it seems fine. You have the ability to have either 1 or 2 LED lights turned on, and can adjust the gooseneck so that you do not see the reflection of the LED lights on the screen.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
...(and no... I did NOT turn them all over to Video Poker)...
This post would have been _way_ more exciting if you had!
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
Quote:
This might be an option --> http://www.energizer.ca/lighting-personal.aspx

I do see it at Futureshop
I purchased this reading light (Energizer) and found it would not clip securely to the Kobo (hard plastic against hard plastic slippage). The clip does have a tiny piece of rubber on the tips but they don't touch the plastic and they are not big enough to work. So, what I did is take a piece of bicycle inner tube and cut in the shape of both sides of the clip, contact cement and voila, a secure clip on reading light.

The moral of the story is that this clip didn't work for me out of the box and some retrofitting was required.

Now my wife doesn't complain about the light being on when I'm still reading and she wants to go to sleep!
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
I was just up at the Chapters at the 401 and Kennedy in Toronto. Under the table where they had Kobo's on display (and no... I did NOT turn them all over to Video Poker), they had a basket full of XtraFlex 2 LED Light --> http://www.mightybright.com/Book_Lig...uctDetail.html

I picked one up, and it seems fine. You have the ability to have either 1 or 2 LED lights turned on, and can adjust the gooseneck so that you do not see the reflection of the LED lights on the screen.
Bought the same one. It is decent but I find the only placement location is on the lower left corner.
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Location is being a minor issue; I seem to have luck on the top left corner. I will experiment though and see what I can do to "thicken" the unit to make the clasp grip better though.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #11
baker
baker began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi, itouch 4th gen, Sony S tab
I purchased the Mighty Bright on Friday and found it to be very good after trying various positions on the Kobo. (these comments relate to using it while reading in bed.
1. It is very adjustable with the gooseneck and adjustable head. Positioning both the neck and head correctly can avoid shadows
2.The one or 2 light option is nice and using 1 bulb very comfortable
3.I initially positioned it on the top right hand corner, but seemed to throw the reader out of balance
4.I then put it on the bottom left corner which worked fine for a while until I noticed that it was flexing the Kobo frame which is not stiff enough there and was causing the glass edge of the reader to be exposed. DO NOT POSITION IT THERE as you could damage the reader
5.I placed it on the top left corner which seemed to work out the best and most comfortably and found it very good to read with.
baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #12
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
anybody tried this one?
http://www.garrettspecialties.com/ro...ght-p-524.html

I saw them at the Dollar store last time I was there. I will pick one up over the week end.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:52 PM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie42 View Post
anybody tried this one?
http://www.garrettspecialties.com/ro...ght-p-524.html

I saw them at the Dollar store last time I was there. I will pick one up over the week end.
I have a light that looks identical. Some company sent it in the mail as a gift, as I remember.

The metal clip will scratch your reader.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 05-21-2010 at 05:55 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #14
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The metal clip will scratch your reader.

Oh. Good to know.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:30 PM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie42 View Post
Oh. Good to know.
It's not designed for ebook readers.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote