Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
jurat
jurat began at the beginning.

Device: none
Give me reasons why I shouldn't get a Sony

I can't decide between the Kindle 2 and the Sony PRS 300 for my first ever e-reader. I've read arguments in the Sony forum against the Kindle now give me your arguments against Sony.
jurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I've never used a Sony, so I don't know how I could give you arguments against it.

If you have questions about the Kindle, though, someone here should be able to answer them.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
The prs300 is $100 less than a Kindle so I'd recommend you get it if you just want to read books. If you want in addition a dictionary/text reading/limited internet access device and have the money - buy a Kindle.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurat View Post
I can't decide between the Kindle 2 and the Sony PRS 300 for my first ever e-reader. I've read arguments in the Sony forum against the Kindle now give me your arguments against Sony.
Sorry, no. There is plenty of info here on the readers and their features. Find the best match for your particular needs -- my wants/needs are not yours. I love my Kindles, but have also used other readers happily. I have no reason to argue against Sony.

If you have questions about experience with specific Kindle features, folks here will be happy to answer.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
You want a Kindle? *YOU* want a Kindle?!? *YOU* can't *handle* a Kindle!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Sorry, no. There is plenty of info here on the readers and their features. Find the best match for your particular needs -- my wants/needs are not yours. I love my Kindles, but have also used other readers happily. I have no reason to argue against Sony.
Sound advice. I love my Sony, but I am well aware that others love their Kindles (and Nooks and BeBooks and Alurteks etc etc..) just as much.

The best advice I can give is to try to get your hands on as many as you can and see what you think.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy whatever you end up getting.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I own a Kindle, and later bought and returned the Sony pocket reader. The device was nice, but the software and bookstore were big pains. I've just ordered another Sony that appears to have been mistakenly deeply discounted. It was so cheap, Borders probably will not ship 'em (thread is in the deals section of the forum). I was sucked in by the price, but have been reading through problem threads in the Sony section of the forum, and have been having flashbacks of Sony pain. I probably will not keep the Sony even if Borders delivers it.

Kindle is easy to use out of the box, and Kindle books are readable on other devices. Amazon books are cheaper, too. The Sony advantage is library books.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 05-17-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
Granvillen
Enthusiast
Granvillen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2i., K3
If you have to ask, buy a Sony!
Granvillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #9
RamTheHammer
RamTheHammer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granvillen View Post
If you have to ask, buy a Sony!
I agree with Granville on this one!
RamTheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
it's not our place to talk anyone into or out of anything. keep in mind though, that in the first 30 days, the Kindle can be returned no harm no foul
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #11
darthjoey
Enthusiast
darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2 - International
I've never owned a Sony, but my friend used to have one, and I've played with the one in the local Target. I think that the page turns on the Sony non-touchscreen one was a little slower than my Kindle is, and the touchscreen one is way slower than the Kindle. Personally, I also like the fact that I can use my Kindle to play audiobooks in addition to normal books, can use Text-to-Speech to automatically turn the pages, and that I can use the limited web browser to get on facebook while at school.
darthjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:38 AM   #12
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
I have both a Kindle and a Sony PRS-300. IMO, the Kindle is a Cadillac and the Sony is a Chevy. I bought my little Sony mostly for reading library books, but I use my Kindle for most of my other reading. They are both great readers, I love my Kindle, but the little Sony is great for reading library books.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #13
TheLost
TheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watchTheLost is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle 2
Local Wal-Mart’s have the PRS300 for $148. If you only care about price get the sony!

but...

I don't like the feel of the sony in my hands... its too cold and metallic. The Kindle may not look as 'flashy' but (IMHO) fits in your hands better. The wide border around the screen and keyboard make the Kindle natural to hold.

The Kindle has a larger screen (6" vs 5").

Free Wireless on the Kindle. Im surprised how often i use it to look up something.

Amazon has more books... I like to read some of the books my kids enjoy. It helps me keep them excited about reading. Ever try to find any of the "Percy Jackson" books on the sony site? Or the 'Fabelhaven' series? Amazon has them all.

Any book format can be converted to the Kindle. I even check out ebooks from the local Library. It’s not as easy as the sony, but it’s not that hard. (Calibre is your friend).

There are quite a few other things i love about the Kindle... But you'll need to find what you like.
TheLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #14
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
I love Sony readers. But quite frankly, I find Sony 300 the weakest one. (Maybe Sony 700 ranks last, because of its glare).
You (without hacks) only can turn pages via 5-way-button, which is placed in the middle on the bottom. I find this rather inconvenient. On Sony 600, 700 and 900 you can use touchscreen, on Sony 505 you have various additional options, for example 2 buttons on the right side of the reader.
If you're out for a 5" reader, you should check out Cybook Opus or PocketBook 360.
Cybook Opus has great buttons on the right (or you can rotate, so they're on the left, top or bottom). PocketBook 360 the same (though I don't like its huge "butterfly wings") AND you can turn pages via its accelerometer, simply by briefly turning your wrist.
Sony 300 is a nice enough reader, but given its competition, it's not as outstanding as Sony 505 or Sony 900.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #15
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I own a PRS 600 and a couple of Kindles. The 300 has a slightly smaller screen (5" as opposed to 6") and is significantly less expensive. Sony makes a very nice product.

Do you read more than one book or document at a time? On the Kindle it's easy to move between current files. When you list your books by date the ones that were either loaded or opened will be listed first. On the Sony listing by date only gives you the ones last loaded listed first. You can only easily get back to the last book read on the Sony. There is a workaround on the Sony. Bookmark each book and it will show up in Notes. I assume that you can make notes on the 300 I know you can on the 600. This is cumbersome but workable if you want to move between books.

Are you interested in checking out ebooks from your local library? This is easy to do on the Sony as it supports ADE. It can be done on the Kindle but requires removing the DRM and converting to mobi format.

Is Customer Service important to you? Amazon's is top rate and Sony's is pretty average.

With either device you are not locked into a particular store especially if you purchase books without DRM. And there are plenty of excellent books that are unencumbered with DRM.

The Sony's have a cold, shiny case, the Kindle's have a matte, plastic case.

It's really a matter of personal preference. With the Kindle you have 30 days to try it out and return it. A lot of stores have Sony Readers on display so you can get an idea if you'd like one.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote