Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-22-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Microsoft Surface enables multi-touch on standard notebook

A Cambridge guy working for Microsoft Research had the incredible idea to implement Microsoft's Surface Table technology into a standard Dell notebook.

Quote:
Steve's solution is remarkably simple yet effective. With an off-the-shelf laptop, he retrofitted some infrared sensors on the back and together with the magic of software, you have multi-touch! Check out the following video clip (excerpt from MSR Cambridge video) to see his demonstration. It has all the dragging and pinching demos you'd expect to see in every multi-touch display, so don'dt expect to be blown away.
Caution: Your notebook might get jealous and crash itself on purpose.

[via Gizmodo]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:56 AM   #2
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
now that's impressive. the two finger zoom alone is amazing.
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:22 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The IR approach is a stroke of brilliance! But can it be retrofitted on a Tablet (looks like a "probably" on convertibles)? Even just adding it to future models would totally rock!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
mikolaj
mikolaj is on a distinguished road

Does that mean that Vista has support for a couple of independent controllers? I use two mice at home and at work, but they both control only a single cursor (!!!). I found somewhere that this was a conscious windows design decision (By the way there is a driver that enables more cursors in Windows, http://cpnmouse.sourceforge.net, but it's not really usable...)

Support for multiple independent controllers, now that would be a good reason for me to upgrade. On the other hand it's a bit sad that the advent of multi-touch screens in a single cursor world, seems like "640K should be enough for anybody" repeating itself .
mikolaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:36 AM   #5
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Given that he is an official Microsoft researcher, I would guess he has some extra tricks up his sleeve when working with Vista
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
The IR approach is a stroke of brilliance! But can it be retrofitted on a Tablet (looks like a "probably" on convertibles)? Even just adding it to future models would totally rock!
Funny I had the same thought when I saw the thread! Now why hasn't MS thought of it too? Too simple and not expensive enough?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:14 AM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Given that he is an official Microsoft researcher, I would guess he has some extra tricks up his sleeve when working with Vista
You mean like getting Vista to work properly?
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:37 PM   #8
stxopher
Nameless Being

Vista works perfectly!

(It's the users, computer makers, software designers and electricity suppliers that are faulty!)
Old 06-23-2007, 10:07 AM   #9
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
The IR approach - nice idea, although not revolutionary nor unseen.
Multitouch - old, ooold, oooooold...
Gestures - there used to be a company called Fingerworks that used to make (& sell) replacement touch panel keyboards for PowerBooks (among other things)... Except typing, it supported quite a nifty batch of multi-finger gestures, for pointing, scrolling, rotating, zooming, dragging, copying, pasting and lots more. There were also specific sets of gestures for various apps, i.e. Photoshop, Maya, Emacs etc.

All other companies, like apple or microsoft, claiming they were the first or revolutionary (gesture-wise) are just delusional

See here:
http://www.fingerworks.com/userguides.html
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:59 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
Vista works perfectly!

(It's the users, computer makers, software designers and electricity suppliers that are faulty!)
I think you need a trip to the loony bin. There is no chance in heck that Vista is perfect. It's another WindowsME.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #11
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think you need a trip to the loony bin. There is no chance in heck that Vista is perfect. It's another WindowsME.
I tend to disagree. Yes, it got a lot of bells and whistles nobody needs, most foremost the new GUI. But you can turn that all off. And there are some concepts in Vista that are new in Windows, and that are certainly worth pointing out. For instance, the UAC (user access control) is a great feature, if you learn how to use it to minimize the annoyance of screens popping up. Along with it, MS improved the security of the filesystem, by virtualizing access to the program folders for users without admin rights. There are alot of other improvements under the hood, such as the new networking features (new IP stack, support for IPv6), and better driver architecture.

Check out this Wiki entry for an incomplete list of changes/improvements. It's certainly a lot more revolutionary than the step Windows 98 -> ME
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:50 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Check out this Wiki entry for an incomplete list of changes/improvements.
Thanks for that link, TadW -- I don't plan to go to Vista until they're working on its replacement () but I am curious as to what all is different.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:58 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Am I alone in strongly disliking devices which operate by touching the screen with your fingers? I have an absolute loathing of fingerprints on screens - if I get even the merely hint of a fingerprint on the screen of any of my devices I feel an irresistable urge to clean it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:04 AM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Am I alone in strongly disliking devices which operate by touching the screen with your fingers? I have an absolute loathing of fingerprints on screens - if I get even the merely hint of a fingerprint on the screen of any of my devices I feel an irresistable urge to clean it!
I feel the same way, it's prevented me from acquiring a tablet PC for years. I cringe every time I see the little waves created by someone touching an LCD.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:21 AM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

Heh, I like those little waves.