Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
eMadman
eMadman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sony PRS600, Kindle, or BeBook Neo?

I've been toying around with the idea of buying a reader for a few weeks now and was waiting for apple's tablet announcement to see if the device would present material in a method that doesn't strain the eyes.

Today's announcement has me set - I'm definitely getting a purpose-built reader.

I'm considering between the Sony PRS300 or 600 as well as the Amazon Kindle (base, not dx). I have also taken a look at the upcoming BeBook One reader and that's also looking pretty darn nice for the price.

The question is, which to get? I like the PRS600 for the touch screen, though I'm not sure I actually need that functionality. I like the Kindle for the fact that it packs a 6 inch screen into a $250US price tag, making it $50 cheaper than the 600 and the BeBook Neo.

The Kindle and Sony seem to be the best options for battery, but the BeBook has the Wacom panel which is pretty darn cool.

Considering that I live in Canada and that Amazon charges additional fees to order books up here, do you have any thoughts on the pros/cons between the three options? The Sony seems to be my best bet only because I can go to my local best buy and take one home right now... whereas the BeBook and Kindle would have to be shipped.

How about stores? Can the Kindle support other MobiPocket stores or just the Amazon store? I'm liking Amazon's upcoming price strategy, though I'm not sure if it'll hit the books I want.
eMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
lustyd
Enthusiast
lustyd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350, PRS-650
I would advise you to go into a shop and use a couple of them. I compared the PRS300 with the PRS600 in a shop and then went and bought the PRS505! The reason I did this was the lack of touch screen, when looking at them side by side you can clearly see a bit of a blur with the touchscreen wires over the eInk.
I avoided the Kindle because of the various issues with proprietary nonsense, and because I live in Europe which Amazon don't seem to care about.
I've no experience of other devices as yet but would highly recommend the PRS505 which is (despite rumours) still available, and (despite rumours) supports pretty much all of the formats available including nicely scaling PDF, or where there are images etc landscape mode can show 1/2 an A4 page at a time.
The Apple screen probably will be nice to read from (the iPhone is fantastic) but the battery life will make it pointless if reading is your priority.
Hope this has been of some help to you.
Dave
lustyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
eMadman

The 505 is definitely not available in my area. I've checked the only stores that would have them. The worst thing for me is that the 300 and 600 are the only ones I can even sample. No store in this city seems to carry e-ink based readers from other brands.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
lustyd
Enthusiast
lustyd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350, PRS-650
to be honest it was the same here, Sony were the only ones in shops and then I found a 505 at Argos (catalogue shop) in the sale and snapped it up.
We do have good returns policy on remote shopping here though, if you have the same maybe try buying one and return if it's no good. I assume you've looked at the Sony ones in the shop and like the eInk - pretty much all the screens are the same apart from where touchscreen interferes so you won't go far wrong. Just get one with the right format support (epub a must) and nice controls (one of the kindles I've seen has page turn buttons up the sides - imagine a book where touching the edge of a page turns it!).
good luck
Dave
lustyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Between the 3, I'd go for the Neo, myself.

A 505 is a nice alternative if you can find one cheap.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 05:28 AM   #6
Rhoda Dendron
Rhoda Dendron began at the beginning.

I found these forums AFTER deciding on the Sony 600. I ordered it a few days ago and hopefully it'll arrive soon.
It better be good!
Rhoda Dendron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:28 AM   #7
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Don't worry, it's a very solid device if you're into touchscreen.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:53 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda Dendron View Post
I found these forums AFTER deciding on the Sony 600. I ordered it a few days ago and hopefully it'll arrive soon.
It better be good!

Welcome to MR, yes. It will be great. The 505 has a slightly better/higher-contrast screen, but nothing wrong with the 600 and the touch-screen and dictionary and etc. are very nice.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:57 AM   #9
Miss Unleaded
Miss Unleaded began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ereader 600
I have the 600. I was very worried that I would hate it due to the well publicised issues with glare from the screen.

However, perhaps because this is the only ereader I have ever used, I love it. I don't find the glare particularly bad. It is quite easy to angle the screen to minimise it. I have greater difficulty with the contrast to be honest but this is fairly easily solved by increasing the text size when needed.

I love the touch screen. I find it very useful to be able to tap a word and get a definition for it. I've also used the drawing feature for fun and anticipate that it will be quite handy on those occassions when I don't have a pen on me (I'm not one of those women who carries a whole office in her handbag!). The note taking feature with the on-screen keyboard is less helpful than I anticipated though, due to the slowness of typing with a stylus, and also because (as far as I know) it only comes with a standard English alphabet and a few extra symbols and numbers. I wish it had some kind of handwriting recognition software so I could write and have it translated into typed text. I also love that the pages refresh quite quickly; much faster than physically turning a page in a book.

The other reasons I chose it over the Kindle 2, which is also now available here in Europe, are as follows:

I have problems with the proprietary nature of Amazon's ebooks. I want to be able to read books on different devices. Amazon also doesn't seem to have many books in languages other than English, and especially not in Swedish which is my second language.

Free web browsing is not available here yet, so the Kindle has no advantage there.

The touch screen is an intuitive way to navigate and I think I would miss it if I didn't have it.

I very much recommend trying them out before you buy, if you can.

Last edited by Miss Unleaded; 01-31-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Miss Unleaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:11 AM   #10
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oops sorry.......operator error....

Last edited by kennyc; 01-31-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:16 PM   #11
bruceOz
bruceOz began at the beginning.

Device: bebook
Like the sony's but for me the screen quality is most important have pre-ordered the Neo and expect a lot of this! will keep you updated on how it compares.. but having used the BeBook one for the last few months.. I think it should be OK.
bruceOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:57 PM   #12
eMadman

I went to the Sony Store again and played around with the 300 and 600. I must say, I absolutely love the navigation and touch interface on the 600, but the glare was not to my liking. I read a lot on the train, and I would find it difficult to focus on the shiny screen.

The 300 is also amazing, but the 5 inch screen is holding me back. Does anyone have other ideas?

Last edited by eMadman; 01-31-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:18 PM   #13
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I have to say, with the normal reading conditions I have, there is no glare or shine from my 600 screen.

Now if you are in a store with store lighting, and hold it just right - there is both shine and glare. Every computer display in that store will have shine and glare too.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:49 PM   #14
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMadman View Post
I went to the Sony Store again and played around with the 300 and 600. I must say, I absolutely love the navigation and touch interface on the 600, but the glare was not to my liking. I read a lot on the train, and I would find it difficult to focus on the shiny screen.

The 300 is also amazing, but the 5 inch screen is holding me back. Does anyone have other ideas?
A used 505 it still has the best screen.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #15
eMadman

I finally went with the PRS600. I found one on craigslist for an excellent price. rmm200 was correct - the spot-lights in-store were a pretty terrible representation of what the screen would look like in a more natural environment (ie, a coffee shop). I'm still playing around with it, and it seems to be a fantastic little gadget so far.