Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Calibre won't start: Linux

Running from the command line I get: Couldn't resolve property: linearGradient5167 - AFAIK I'm running the most current version, my linux is Kubuntu 8.04.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
How did you install calibre?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
How did you install calibre?
Via the directions on your web site:

Code:
sudo apt-get install  python-setuptools python-imaging  libqt4-core libqt4-gui \
python-qt4 python-mechanize imagemagick \
xdg-utils python-dbus python-lxml help2man
sudo easy_install -U calibre 
sudo calibre_postinstall
Old 08-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

there are actually several sets of directions

Well the linearGradient maessage is just a warning about a malformed SVG file and can be ignored. When you launch calibre is there any CPU/disk activity ?

Can you run calibre-debug and other command line tools?
Old 08-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
there are actually several sets of directions

Well the linearGradient maessage is just a warning about a malformed SVG file and can be ignored. When you launch calibre is there any CPU/disk activity ?

Can you run calibre-debug and other command line tools?
Quote:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/calibre-debug", line 8, in <module>
load_entry_point('calibre==0.4.83', 'console_scripts', 'calibre-debug')()
File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/calibre/debug.py", line 58, in main
ImportError: No module named IPython.Shell
The console tools seem to run fine and calibre itself was running fine as of yesterday. I did have a power failure that rebooted my network, but nothing else was effected.

btw: .calibre_calibre GUI.lock is created.

Last edited by JeffElkins; 08-29-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

install ipython as well
Old 08-29-2008, 11:13 AM   #7
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
install ipython as well
I did so. running calibre-debug now drops me to a debug console.

Code:
In [1]:
Old 08-29-2008, 11:20 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

What does
Code:
calibre-debug -c "from calibre.gui2.main import main; main()"
do?
Old 08-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #9
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
What does
Code:
calibre-debug -c "from calibre.gui2.main import main; main()"
do?
Nothing. I see the
"Couldn't resolve property: linearGradient5167" message, but calibre never starts. I gave it about 5 minutes. Top doesn't reveal anything especially interesting. Just for chuckles I did a calibre reinstall w/o effect.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm weird. Uninstall calibre and try the binary install.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #11
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Hmm weird. Uninstall calibre and try the binary install.
Well, I'm not thrilled with that answer (installation via the command line is so durn convenient) but I'll do it. what's the uninstall procedure for a easy_install installation?
Old 08-29-2008, 12:59 PM   #12
JeffElkins
Guru

Never mind, it's sorted out. After about 15 minutes, calibre returned the message "sqlite3.OperationalError: database is locked" My database in ~/library1.db is a symlink to the 'real' db on an nfs volume. Apparently my power failure left a lock file existing somewhere that I need to find and nuke. I copied the actual library1.db file to my home directory and calibre started fine.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Well, I'm not thrilled with that answer (installation via the command line is so durn convenient) but I'll do it. what's the uninstall procedure for a easy_install installation?
The other installation method is also via the commandline
Old 08-29-2008, 02:34 PM   #14
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
The other installation method is also via the commandline
Well, yes

Code:
sudo python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download_linux_binary_installer').read(); main()"
is command line , but

Code:
sudo easy_install -U calibre 
sudo calibre_postinstall
after checking for new dependencies is very convenient. I keep it in a /usr/local/bin/ script for easy upgrades. Anyway, this sqlite locked database is a real bore. Apparently, sqlite uses fcntl() to lock databases and nfs has problems with this. The database remains locked no matter what I do. I have been able to copy it so another location and access it, so my data is safe, but when calibre attempts to access it from it's original location on the nfs drive it's no go.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yeah nfs and sqlite dont go well together. You can change the location calibre looks for the database file by editing calibre2.ini