Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Tor Acquires Two More Mistborn Novels from Brandon Sanderson

Quote:
Brandon Sanderson:

I am enthusiastic to announce more Alloy of Law-era Mistborn books!
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/10/tor...ndon-sanderson
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"

Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
: yahoo:
Seriously though, this great news! He intimated on a short Amazon video that he was planning a trilogy of trilogies, the first one, a second one set in a more modern setting, and one set in the future, where Allomancy has been turned into a science. I hope this all happens.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I too am looking forward to this. I'm currently reading The Well of Ascension and then I'll eventually get to the third book. But I might hold off on the fourth until the fifth is out.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
Valhalla
Zealot
Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I too am looking forward to this. I'm currently reading The Well of Ascension and then I'll eventually get to the third book. But I might hold off on the fourth until the fifth is out.
I wouldn't wait. The 4th is pretty much standalone.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
I wouldn't wait. The 4th is pretty much standalone.
"The Alloy of Law" is a completely standalone novel. No reason at all to refrain from reading it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"The Alloy of Law" is a completely standalone novel. No reason at all to refrain from reading it.
I've read that many times about a series and it's been wrong more times then not. Besides, I have plenty to read including the rest of book 2 and all of book 3.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've read that many times about a series and it's been wrong more times then not.
It was written AS a standalone novel, Jon. Whether or not you choose to believe me is of course your personal prerogative.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
To be fair, you guys might be talking about two different things. Sure, the book is a standalone with regard to having a complete story-arc (and that it could technically be read without any of the previous material), but that doesn't mean doing so would give a reader the best experience possible. There's things from the previous series that can affect the enjoyment/comprehension of this stand-alone ... and I'm sure there are things in this stand-alone that may have some bearing on later "stand-alones." I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to the term. I don't want to know if a book can stand alone, I want to know if it does... in every way imaginable (meaning no connections to or from other books).

The point being: if there's any possibility that a group of loosely-connected stand-alone novels will eventually become part of some sort of cohesive "whole"... then they're not stand-alones. Which means I'll probably wait until the "whole" is available.

But that's just me.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I didn't express myself very well, DD. I meant "standalone in terms of anything that might be written after it" - ie it doesn't finish with any cliffhangers or leave major unresolved loose ends. I certainly wouldn't recommend reading it unless you'd read the "Mistborn" trilogy first, though.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Oh, I figured that's what you meant, Harry. No big deal. I just get a chuckle out of the idea that a book--which basically has a three-book pre-requisite--can still be referred to (especially in the SFF genre) as a "stand alone" novel.

I propose we need a new term which means; "clearly still dependent on what has come before (and maybe even introducing stuff which won't come into play until later), but definitely won't leave its own main story-arc dangling."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I didn't express myself very well, DD. I meant "standalone in terms of anything that might be written after it" - ie it doesn't finish with any cliffhangers or leave major unresolved loose ends. I certainly wouldn't recommend reading it unless you'd read the "Mistborn" trilogy first, though.
I don't agree....it does wrap up the story but there are loose ends that implied a sequel to me

Spoiler:
He catches the guy pulling off the robberies but does not catch the guy who is the overarching villain...if memory serves it was his dad and the book even ends with the dad telling him that he will continue his crusade or something like that before disappearing off the train they were both on
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

To me, stand-alone means you don't need to read any of the books that come before and you don't have any arc's from that book still left for following books.

Given that criteria, The Allow of Law is not a stand-alone book.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #14
UKPFC
UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Mini
Regardless if its a stand alone or not it's a good read for sure. Personally I think it would be a more enjoyable read having read the Mistborn books, but that just my opinion.
UKPFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #15
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
I read the "Mistborn" trilogy and I loved it, but I think that I'll wait for this trilogy to be completed before buying and reading the books.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote