Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 07-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
willnapier
willnapier began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Extend Calibre viewer functionality?

Hi, I am an appreciative user of the Calibre e-book manager. It does have a basic e-book reader/viewer, with keyboard shortcuts for page-forward, etc. However it doesn't have the ability to highlight, much less to place a cursor, highlight, and copy text, and take notes alongside the text (all using the keyboard).

Does anyone know whether there is a reader that can do these things? I know Kindle does much of this but not with keyboard shortcuts.

It occurred to me that since Calibre is open-source, it should in principle be possible to take the existing viewer software and develop these functions. Can anyone advise on how big a job this is? Is it the kind of thing that one could perhaps raise the money to pay a developer to do, so that it is available to any who might want this?

With thanks, Will
willnapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
My calibre viewer can highlight and copy text. I do use the mouse to highlight, but the keyboard to copy. I think many windows shortcut keys will work in the viewer.

Just curious as to why you would not use a mouse or a mouse emulator or a touch screen or voice input etc.?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2013, 04:15 AM   #3
willnapier
willnapier began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Hi Helen

Thank you for your reply. I can and do highlight and copy text with the mouse/touchpad, but I find, as many do, that if there is a way to stay on the keyboard, it speeds things up a lot.

Also the highlighting is not permanent is it? Or have you found a way to highlight text so that it remains highlighted for future reading?

Best, Will
willnapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by willnapier View Post
Hi Helen

Thank you for your reply. I can and do highlight and copy text with the mouse/touchpad, but I find, as many do, that if there is a way to stay on the keyboard, it speeds things up a lot.

Also the highlighting is not permanent is it? Or have you found a way to highlight text so that it remains highlighted for future reading?

Best, Will
Pretty sure there is no way to highlight permanently, but not positive. Must be a program that will do what you want though the calibre viewer is convenient for many things.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:03 AM   #5
donald1x
donald1x began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (device, PC, Android, iPhone)
Annotation on a Calibre Reader

Hi Will, Helen,

Yeah, I guess this is a good suggestion to ask the Calibre developer to add for their next versions. I can see this is useful for annotating textbook.

I can annotate my PDF docs in Calibre, but I just realized thats because I was reading it using Adobe Reader 11.

Maybe an alternate reader plugin?

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 08-16-2013 at 02:53 AM. Reason: approved
donald1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert