Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #631
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
No, the JB itself doesn't do anything. I meant in part the Fonts Hack, which wraps the process around a tiny bit to soften the blow (and optionally eliminates some, but not all, of the root issues, at the expense of potentially adding others), but mostly USBNetwork (and the Rescue Pack + CRP).
Guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best. I don't have USBNetwork or Rescue Pack on my PW1. It is locked against updates, though, if that makes any difference.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #632
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yeah, the 'good' thing is it's a make it or break it thing. The crucial point is the initial setup (and the first boot after an update). Once that's done, if it works, it's no more likely to break that anything else .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2014, 04:14 PM   #633
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yeah, the 'good' thing is it's a make it or break it thing. The crucial point is the initial setup (and the first boot after an update). Once that's done, if it works, it's no more likely to break that anything else .
Good to know, thank you. I don't intend to make any other changes to the device (other than adding/removing books, adding them to collections, etc). So mine should be fine.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #634
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Sequence and question:

1. 5/9/13 I upgraded my PW1 to 5.3.4
2. Sometime in early 2014 I applied the jailbreak that was available/downloaded in May of 2013 on this thread, which worked.
3. 4/11/2014 I upgraded to 5.4.4.1
4. 5/11/204 I upgraded to 5.4.4.2

I'm fairly sure at this point that I have lost jailbreak and need to confirm. Is there any way to determine if I still have it? I want to downgrade and need jailbreak. I don't want to mess this up. Thank you!

Last edited by pghaworth; 10-04-2014 at 05:20 PM.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:14 PM   #635
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
Sequence and questions:

1. 5/9/13 I upgraded my PW1 to 5.3.4
2. Sometime in early 2014 I applied the jailbreak that was available/downloaded in May of 2013 on this thread, which worked.
3. 4/11/2014 I upgraded to 5.4.4.1
4. 5/11/204 I upgraded to 5.4.4.2

I'm fairly sure at this point that I have lost jailbreak and need to confirm. Is there any way to determine if I still have it? I want to downgrade and need jailbreak. I don't want to mess this up. Thank you!
Just up-date the jailbreak, even if it is still jail broken.

Apply the Jailbreak from NiluJe's snapshot thread (it works on 5.4.4.2) -
Both the Jail break and the MKK installs will be preserved during upgrades.

? ? ? ?
Why do you want to downgrade ?

You should not need the Jailbreak to downgrade your PW1.

Last edited by knc1; 10-04-2014 at 01:08 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #636
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"You should not need the Jailbreak to downgrade your PW1."

That's great news! Thanks. I want to downgrade because the last update just wasn't wonderful, maybe even the one before. I don't have many books and it's much slower with the updates and buggier. I've done a factory reset and it's just as bad.

Also, I lost my ability to use the Kindle collections plugin - this is what makes me think I lost my jailbreak.

Can any of the other PW2 updates be used for my PW1 - beyond 5.4.4.2, which is shown on the list of updates as belonging to the PW2, but I got from Amazon for my PW1?

Thanks, again!
Old 10-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #637
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The factory reset means you get to start over, installing things.

NO
PW1 and PW2 use different SoC devices.
In fact, nearly the only thing the same is the name on the device.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #638
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #639
Asriel
Asriel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I just had to incrementally downgrade, as going all the way didn't work for some reason.
Asriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:16 PM   #640
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asriel View Post
I just had to incrementally downgrade, as going all the way didn't work for some reason.
Please give details.