Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
no table of contents of epub 3.0

My KT does not offer my the Table of Contents of any epub 3.0 book. Has anybody else this problem? Any solutions?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I've seen a couple of books that I thought SHOULD have table of contents on my Kobo Glo, but don't (example: THE WISDOM OF PSYCHOPATHS by Kenneth Dutton). How do I tell if these are epub 3.0 books?
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you unzip the epub and open the opf-file (content.opf, package.opf or similar) in a text editor you should find 'package version="3.0"' in case of an epub 3.0 book.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
If you unzip the epub and open the opf-file (content.opf, package.opf or similar) in a text editor you should find 'package version="3.0"' in case of an epub 3.0 book.
You do not have to unzip the EPUB. Change the file extension from .epub to .zip and you will be able to use Windows Explorer to navigate the resulting folder and then use a text editor (Notepad) to view the contents of the .opf file.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I don't think I have seen a epub 3.0 file. Can you point me to one to test?

I suspect the cause is the different renderers Kobo use. I believe epubs are read by ADE and kepubs by something else. I don't think the version of ADE they use supports epub 3.0. Kobo announced support for epub 3.0 with the release in Japan. But, I suspect it is only for books they supply. Or only Japanese books.

If you want to test something, change the file extension to ".kepub.epub" when you copy it to the device. The device will treat the book as a kepub and open it with the kepub renderer. I would be interested to know it that picks up the TOC.

Note: I posted about ".kepub.epub" a while ago. A Kobo developer said not to do this this. But, as far as I can tell this is because it can't sync the book to the server. In any case, if there are problems, removing the book should clear it up.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 02:28 AM   #6
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
You do not have to unzip the EPUB. Change the file extension from .epub to .zip and you will be able to use Windows Explorer to navigate the resulting folder and then use a text editor (Notepad) to view the contents of the .opf file.
Actually, that causes the file to unzip transparently - but you ARE still unzipping it .
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't think I have seen a epub 3.0 file. Can you point me to one to test?
Thank you for your response. You can find some samples at http://code.google.com/p/epub-samples/.

Quote:
I suspect the cause is the different renderers Kobo use. I believe epubs are read by ADE and kepubs by something else. I don't think the version of ADE they use supports epub 3.0. Kobo announced support for epub 3.0 with the release in Japan. But, I suspect it is only for books they supply. Or only Japanese books.
Kobo at least supports vertical writing in epubs. As for other 3.0 features, I do not know. I tried some, but did not find any other feature that worked.

Quote:
If you want to test something, change the file extension to ".kepub.epub" when you copy it to the device. The device will treat the book as a kepub and open it with the kepub renderer. I would be interested to know it that picks up the TOC.
I changed the extension to kepub.epub and the Table of Contents shows now.

Quote:
Note: I posted about ".kepub.epub" a while ago. A Kobo developer said not to do this this. But, as far as I can tell this is because it can't sync the book to the server. In any case, if there are problems, removing the book should clear it up.
Since I would also like to use popup annotations epub.kepub seems the way to go for me. What held me back up to now was the need to set the point-information at every node in order to enable annotations and highlights. Thanks again for the helpful input.