Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #256
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Did anyone get Second Shift from Kobo? The formatting was a mess - my Sony wouldn't even open it. It downloaded as a zip file and I renamed it to epub which usually works. In Calibre it showed as having no cover even though the jpg was there. I fixed it in Calibre, but I shouldn't need to and Kobo customer service is so bad I'm not even going to contact them. I got the omnibus from Kobo and it was ok.

Great story so far! I first got the omnibus free from Amazon with my Prime membership and liked it so much I bought it.

I am (im)patiently waiting for Third shift.
You should use Firefox instead of IE. IE is at fault for the extension change.

I've not yet gotten Second Shift. But when I do, I'll probably do so from Kobo. I've had to fix up everything so far because the formatting is not as I'd like.

What I will do given what you've said is try a sample from Amazon and see if that's the same.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #257
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You should use Firefox instead of IE. IE is at fault for the extension change.
I don't think it was because of IE. Second Shift from Kobo is now there as Adobe DRM EPub, it still cannot be opened by my Sony 950, and it now has DRM.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #258
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
I don't think it was because of IE. Second Shift from Kobo is now there as Adobe DRM EPub, it still cannot be opened by my Sony 950, and it now has DRM.
Looks like the Amazon version is DRM free. It says you can download the book to unlimited devices, which I believe means it's DRM free. Not sure why they would put DRM on one site and not another.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #259
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Looks like the Amazon version is DRM free. It says you can download the book to unlimited devices, which I believe means it's DRM free. Not sure why they would put DRM on one site and not another.
They *should* be all DRM free. Hugh is very against DRM. If it does have DRM, I'd contact Hugh at his website.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #260
GeorgeH
Addict
GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
They *should* be all DRM free. Hugh is very against DRM. If it does have DRM, I'd contact Hugh at his website.
I just purchased Second Shift - Order from Amazon. It is in .azw3 format but doesn't have DRM.

I'm just finishing up rereading The Hobbit in anticipation of the movie but plan to read this book next. Great series!
GeorgeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #261
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeH View Post
I just purchased Second Shift - Order from Amazon. It is in .azw3 format but doesn't have DRM.

I'm just finishing up rereading The Hobbit in anticipation of the movie but plan to read this book next. Great series!
I just finished Second Shift, and read The Hobbit before that. What a coincidence.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #262
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I just finished Second Shift and recently bitched to a friend about The Hobbit being milked for three movies.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #263
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I just finished Second Shift and recently bitched to a friend about The Hobbit being milked for three movies.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #264
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I've read The Hobbit and plan to read Second Shift. Can I join your Silo Hobbit club?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #265
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Possibly because the mayor is like me and seldom makes gauge swatches. Crochet for me - but the theory is the same.
Good point.

Ok so I've finished First Shift and Second Shift and now I'm anxiously awaiting Third Shift! This series has definitely sucked me in.

Although, I'm sad to say I cannot join the Silo Hobbit club as it's been quite awhile since I've read the hobbit and I'm not planning a re-read anytime soon.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #266
hughhowey
Enthusiast
hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
It shouldn't, but I'll re-check.

Edit: Yup. Don't know why, but DRM was enabled on 2nd Shift. I fixed it. Probably due to being frazzled this month with NaNoWriMo and a release at the same time.

Last edited by hughhowey; 11-30-2012 at 07:40 AM.
hughhowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #267
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I just bought the books yesterday at Kobo.
Second Shift and the Wool Omnibus were Adobe DRM.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #268
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
I just bought the books yesterday at Kobo.
Second Shift and the Wool Omnibus were Adobe DRM.
I checked again, and now Second Shift is a normal epub file! Wool Omnibus is still an Adobe DRM file.

I read The Hurricane and Half Way Home and enjoyed both of them. Wool Omnibus is next on my TBR list!
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #269
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Funny, I could have sworn the Wool Omnibus was DRM-Free at one time. All his other books are DRM-free on Kobo, except the Omnibus. I wonder why?
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #270
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Woot! I wasn't paying attention and just found out Second Shift went on sale.

Bought it. Settling in for an enjoyable night.

Good numbers too:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #71 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Fiction > Genre Fiction > Science Fiction > High Tech
#1 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > High Tech
#1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Fiction > Genre Fiction > Science Fiction > Adventure
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote