Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
Wool 1,2,3,4,5

Funny name for a series of books, but I totally loved this dystopian fantasy series. Any fans out there for Wool?

Wool 1,2,3,4,5, is actually a series of short stories about a civilization living in an underground silo (all 141 floors), where bad behavior is punished by exile to the surface. Short reads, but totally fascinating.

I actually purchased the Wool 1 by mistake for 0.99 on Amazon.com, and what a good mistake that turned out to be.

Last edited by ~Kate; 08-15-2012 at 10:04 AM.
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm not a fan yet, but I've scheduled a read/review of it for my site in March. I'm reviewing the omnibus edition with all 5 parts. Looking forward to it.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2012, 05:18 AM   #3
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
I have part one next on my TBR list. It sounds fascinating.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Read 1, 2 and 3 with 4 and 5 waiting on my Fire.

I really liked the stories. I felt they are well written and interesting, but I wish they weren't so darn depressing.

I like the author enough that I've picked up books in his other series.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I was intrigued by this thread, and now the omnibus edition is next in line on my TBR list. :-)
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
I read the first part last night. Brilliant work and a fabulous twist at the end. I am off to buy the omnibus edition.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
julia103
Connoisseur
julia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
It looks interesting. Does anyone know if they're available in epub? (I checked Smashwords which didn't have them.)
julia103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia103 View Post
It looks interesting. Does anyone know if they're available in epub? (I checked Smashwords which didn't have them.)
From Hugh's Facebook wall:

Quote:
I had to go Kindle exclusive. Too few Nook sales and the ability to have free days like yesterday. Plus, the ability to "borrow" my books for free for Prime members. It wasn't an easy choice. I think, if you search my blog for Nook and Kindle, you might find a post about it.
His blog can be found here if anyone is interested: http://www.hughhowey.com
Old 02-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
From Hugh's Facebook wall:
Quote:
I had to go Kindle exclusive.
The Omnibus Edition (and presumably the others) are DRM-free, so buy for K4PC or K4MAC and use Calibre to convert to ePub. This isn't as convenient as a native ePub, but Amazon is so dominant now that some (many?) indie ebooks are going to be Kindle only.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #10
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The Omnibus Edition (and presumably the others) are DRM-free, so buy for K4PC or K4MAC and use Calibre to convert to ePub. This isn't as convenient as a native ePub, but Amazon is so dominant now that some (many?) indie ebooks are going to be Kindle only.
That's what I did. I have a Kindle but I want to read it on my new Sony.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The author is *not* a big fan of DRM. All of his books are DRM free.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
jgaiser
Omnivorous

I don't think I posted this before, but I was turned on to Wool because of an article on MetaFilter, that includes a bit of the history of Wool and a long discussion (including a few posts by the author Hugh Howey).
Old 02-20-2012, 04:33 AM   #13
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I think I stumbled across it in Goodreads as one of my groups had chosen part 1 for a group read. Then I started seeing it EVERYWHERE.

Then it was just a case of having a look at the slant of the reviews and although I'm not necessarily swayed by 5 star reviews, the fact that 182 out of 220 reviews were 5 star reviews and the fact that there were 220 reviews in the first place swayed me enough to purchase.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #14
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
£2-05 on UK Am..
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #15
tamborine
Connoisseur
tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Aura One, Kindle Fire HD
Thanks for posting about this - looks good! Just got the omnibus as my Prime rental for February.
tamborine is offline   Reply With Quote