Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
peter09
peter09 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung E60
Samsung Slide does not see metadate.calibre

Hi,
can anyone help me. I have a Samsung E60 ereader and I am attempting to manage my books with Calibre.

I have tagged my books and am using the tags to define the libraries that I want to see on the Samsung.

The trouble is that, although Calibre exports the expected directories to the device and also manages the books themselves the device does not recognise any of the metadata. When I open the 'books' menu all the books are shown at the highest level. There is not sign of the directories which were created by calibre and there are no books in the default library, or new libraries.

The calibre.metadata file is there, but appears to have been ignored. What am I not understanding here?
peter09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Does calibre actually recognize the E60? As the SNE-60?

How does the E60 know that something is in a library? Is it built into the file system, or does it have a database of some kind?

It is probably a database if there is some user interface on the E60 for moving books from one library to another. This will certainly be true if the book does not actually change locations in the file system when you change the library. In this case, there is nothing you can do in calibre short of writing special code to make libraries happen.

BTW: the 'metadata.calibre' file is used by calibre, not by the devices.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
peter09

Calibre does seem to recognise the device as it says it has seen it. One thing I am not sure of is - should I put the device into mass storage mode and use Calibre to update the mounted folder, or is there some sort of mechanism which runs normally (not in mass storage mode).
Old 11-09-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It must be in mass storage mode (assuming that this makes the memory into a USB removable disk), or calibre won't see it at all.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
peter09

Thanks - mass storage mode - that is what I am doing.

Unfortunatly it appears that I will have to set up libraries by hand direct on the device, which is a bit clumsey, compared to the potential shown by calibre.
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That is a limitation of your device (it doesn't use the metadata provided to it, either in the book files themselves, or the folder structure, or metadata.calibre). Most devices use at least one of the three sources.

You should contact the device manufacturer to improve the device firmware, or get a more capably device, like one of the SONY readers.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote