Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Unable to Authorize my Sony

I bought a book for my new Sony, but I can't read it, because it's DRM'ed...

I downloaded the Sony Reader Software... I've unstalled, re-installed, and I've done the same with ADE...

ADE gives me this error message...

Can anyone help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE cap.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	60932  
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
By the look of the message, you have reached the limit of device activations on your Adobe account. I believe you have to call Sony support and tell them the error code and hopefully they can, in conjunction with Adobe, allot you more activations.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 03:18 AM   #3
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
It seems to be a huge problem for people like me, who like to check out different readers, but I haven't had 6 readers... When I downloaded the $10 book, that I bought, the reader software said I needed to authorize the reader, before I could get it on my Sony... So.. I authorized and got the message 'too many authorizations.

I then unstalled Sony reader Software, ADE... ran the registry 'fixer'. Deleted thing in the 'restore' on ADE... downloaded everything again, and I still get the same message...

I am so frustrated, and wish I had never bought a Sony...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:48 AM   #4
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Sorry if I'm asking the obvious, but have you tried getting in contact with Adobe support staff? From doing a Google search with your error, it seems that the typical route for getting support on this issue is to go here and click Submit a web case. There also seems to be a helpful fellow, Jim Lester, who's responding to a lot of threads like this on Adobe's support forums, and IIRC, is also a member of MR.

Also, is this your first EPUB-based ereader? If so, since you would have to use ADE for DRMed EPUBs (especially library books), it seems like an error that should have come up before, regardless of ereader brand.

Anyway, good luck.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:01 AM   #5
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PRS-600 and PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I then unstalled Sony reader Software, ADE... ran the registry 'fixer'. Deleted thing in the 'restore' on ADE... downloaded everything again, and I still get the same message...
Lene,

I may be wrong on this, but the problems not on your end. From the error, it looks like Adobe believes you've got too many devices activated. To fix it, Adobe needs to add device slots or de-authorize devices on their server. No amount of uninstalling will fix this -- Only contacting Adobe support can.
CraftyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
What seems to be a huge problem? You don't have to have 6 readers to use, say, 6 activations... There's one per reader, one per computer and (if used) one per phone or other mobile device activated. Have you always deactivated any devices returned?

It does actually say that there are a limited number of activations for ADE as this is designed to stop people giving things away, wouldn't exactly be DRM if it didn't protect/impose limits on the number of places you can put things.

It also seems a bit of a knee-jerk reflex to blame Sony when it's ADE and exactly the same thing would have occurred with any other additional device you tried to activate.

All you need to do is contact Sony?Adobe and, as mentioned elsewhere in this forum, they will arrange additional activations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
It seems to be a huge problem for people like me, who like to check out different readers, but I haven't had 6 readers... When I downloaded the $10 book, that I bought, the reader software said I needed to authorize the reader, before I could get it on my Sony... So.. I authorized and got the message 'too many authorizations.

I am so frustrated, and wish I had never bought a Sony...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Actually, I think uninstalling and re-installing the software might make the problem worse instead of better. I'm not sure if it counts as a new activation if you re-install the software on your end and then try to reactivate your computer.

I recently was unable to de-activate my old 505. All I had to do was send an e-mail to Sony and they de-activated it to free up a slot. I'm sure Adobe would be able to do the same for you with a simple e-mail.

Good luck!
dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
Jar Jar Binks
Enthusiast
Jar Jar Binks began at the beginning.

Device: PRS650 And PRS 350 Yay I got it !!! I got it !!! I'm in love.
What are the limitations on activating devices ? Like how many? At some point there will be two readers in my home and only one computer, mine.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
For the Sony software, the maximum # of devices that can be activated is 6. This includes computers and readers. If you are no longer going to be using a reader or computer, it's a good idea to deactivate it prior to getting rid of it if possible. That'll free up one of your activations for another device.

For Adobe Digital Editions, I don't know if there is an exact number. And deactivating a device is not as straightforward as it is with the Sony. Jim Lester who posts here from time to time and I believe works for Adobe has said that Adobe's approach is to simply add more allowed devices over time to take into account users switching out computers and readers.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I've never had a problem getting Sony to deactivate the device via e-mail. They were extremely prompt.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
For the Sony software, the maximum # of devices that can be activated is 6. This includes computers and readers. If you are no longer going to be using a reader or computer, it's a good idea to deactivate it prior to getting rid of it if possible. That'll free up one of your activations for another device.

For Adobe Digital Editions, I don't know if there is an exact number. And deactivating a device is not as straightforward as it is with the Sony. Jim Lester who posts here from time to time and I believe works for Adobe has said that Adobe's approach is to simply add more allowed devices over time to take into account users switching out computers and readers.

dordale
I confirm dordale's post. I have also read similar posts by Jim from Adobe. It should be no big deal for them to increase your activations.

According to the ADE FAQ's: "You can activate up to six computers and six devices. If you reach the limit, contact Customer Service to increase your allowable activations." You can see the FAQ's on Adobe's website here:
http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/faq/
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote