Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-31-2007, 10:06 AM   #16
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
someone else mentioned a usb hard drive and you know what, I am wondering why I never thought of that before...... little miss I live on this thing.........I don't like the cd burning IMO so I may go out and look for one. Any suggestions as to a good one or they all pretty good............ damn if I had one of those my books would be here....... I lost a lot of good stuff that I *found* and that is what really irritates/hurts me to lose......
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:37 PM   #17
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I prefer to buy the enclosure and put my own hard disk in it.
They are very easy to set up.
All mine have an on/off switch on them because I only use it when transferring files to it to back up my data. The rest of the time they are switched off.

I have looked at the ones that are a sealed unit but I do not care for them.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2007, 05:56 PM   #18
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Okay this one has a switch in the back to turn it on and off. No real instructions other than a few steps if i want to remove the thing (which I don't wish to do), so I am wondering if it's okay to turn it OFF when I am not using it to copy anything to it? LIke I said insructions said nada. But I would imagine it's okay to turn off, just go through the more extensive steps if i remove the thing from the usb port.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:58 PM   #19
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I just turn my external drive off and on whenever I want to.

Windows should detect the disk as a hard drive --

However, to make sure, check out the properties/hardware/properties/policies tab for the drive:

Mine is checked for:

Optimize for quick removal.
This setting disables write caching on the disk and in Windows, so you can disconnect this device without using the Safe Removal icon.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:52 PM   #20
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
USB drives are easy to remove from WinXP and Vista. If you are using Win98, Win98SE, Win2k, or WinME the OS will howl and tell you that you should have clicked on a tray icon to "safely remove the device."

So if you are in WinXP or Vista turning it off or removing the USB plug as long as the drive active light is off is fine.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2007, 03:25 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
But as Moonraker says, do make sure that you have "Optimize for quick removal" selected. If you don't, and you just unplug or switch off the drive without clicking the "Safely Remove Hardware" thingy in the system tray, you could correct the disk!

Personally I aways either leave the drive running until I switch the machine off or, if I want to switch it off earlier, use the "Safely Remove Hardware" first.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:26 AM   #22
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
My external drive is always off, unplugged and elsewhere in a safe place. It is taken out and taken for a spin (pun intended) everytime I feel backup is due. I also have regular dvd copies stored with two relatives in case of fire. It takes a measly 15 mins once in a while, that can be spent through while writing here.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #23
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I leave mine on all the time, like the PC. That way I can have it do automatic, scheduled backups. Also I have a small network & backup across the network for my other computers.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:59 PM   #24
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker
I just turn my external drive off and on whenever I want to.

Windows should detect the disk as a hard drive --

However, to make sure, check out the properties/hardware/properties/policies tab for the drive:

Mine is checked for:

Optimize for quick removal.
This setting disables write caching on the disk and in Windows, so you can disconnect this device without using the Safe Removal icon.
Ah, mine is set that way already. Thank you.