Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #14641
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
With ebooks I think we will have to say... King really knows how to write a screen tapper... or is that screen swiper?

BOb
LOL, yes.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #14642
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I've just started 'Babel no more', a non-fiction book about polyglots. Fascinating stuff. I'm also reading the Diviners, which is scary enough that I don't like reading it at bedtime. The Dragonbone Chair was good, but I will wait a bit to read the sequel.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #14643
ReneAZ
eBookaholic
ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kindle Fire
I have been reading the Leo Waterman series by GM Ford. LOVE these! Great stories and laugh out loud moments. He's a PI in Seattle WA. Kind of reminds me of the Andy Carpenter series (by David Rosenfelt) which is set in New Jersey.
Highly recommend both writers.
ReneAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #14644
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Weapon from Beyond by Edmund Hamilton
An interesting start to a series. A few too many timing coincidences, but interesting characters and a good read.

Next: Beauvallet by Georgette Heyer. Another of my purchases from earlier this year. Her 9th novel.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #14645
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I read Neil Gaiman's wonderful Coraline. Terrific book! Imaginative. Happy. Funny. Scary Here's what Gaiman himself said about it:

"It's the strangest book I've written, it took the lingest time to write, and it's the book I'm proudest of.'"

I see why he feels that way.
I liked the film but am hesitant to try the book. My first experience with Gaiman was "American Gods," and it bored me. I enjoyed the film "Stardust," also based on a Gaiman book IIRC.

How do these other books compare to "American Gods"? Should I give Gaiman another try, or is "American Gods" a reliable indicator for me?
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #14646
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
With ebooks I think we will have to say... King really knows how to write a screen tapper... or is that screen swiper?

BOb
Screen swiper sounds good to me since I swipe to turn pages.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #14647
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
I liked the film but am hesitant to try the book. My first experience with Gaiman was "American Gods," and it bored me. I enjoyed the film "Stardust," also based on a Gaiman book IIRC.

How do these other books compare to "American Gods"? Should I give Gaiman another try, or is "American Gods" a reliable indicator for me?
I really liked American Gods, but I don't find it similar to Stardust or Coraline. These are the two books from Gaiman I liked most. They're both quite short so if you end up finding they don't appeal, they're probably over so quickly you wouldn't notice.

Coraline is a surprisingly creepy children's story that should be over in one sitting.

Stardust is a quirky fairytale that is possibly my favourite of all of his books. And I found that it just flowed quite quickly from start to end.

I have both of these books signed by Neil Gaiman himself to give an indication of how much I liked them.

I didn't like the movies of these as much as the books - although I guess that's not an unusual sentiment.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #14648
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Next up is the literary book club read for this month. We by Yevgeny Yamyatin. I've been eager to sink my teeth into this one since a work colleague recommended it. The grandfather of dystopian fiction? Of course I want to read it.
Finished this one. Good book. I sometimes found it difficult to follow the thoughts of the narrator, but overall it was satisfyingly dystopian, gloriously dark and worth the effort.

Now I'm reading a pulp western called The Shopkeeper by James D. Best. This is basically to ensure that I've read at least one book from the western genre as one of my book challenges this year.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #14649
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Started Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie. The first Miss Marple book. Picked this up free somewhere last year.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #14650
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post

I found "American Gods" to be hard work, both times I read it, and I'm still not sure exactly what I think of it. I certainly wouldn't let it put you off trying his other books. It's very different to his other work - then again, all his books seem very different to one another.

I didn't like Coraline that much, okay but nothing special. My favourites of Gaiman's include Neverwhere, Stardust, and The Graveyard Book, all very different from one another but all wonderful tales.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #14651
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I found "American Gods" to be hard work, both times I read it, and I'm still not sure exactly what I think of it. I certainly wouldn't let it put you off trying his other books. It's very different to his other work - then again, all his books seem very different to one another.

I didn't like Coraline that much, okay but nothing special. My favourites of Gaiman's include Neverwhere, Stardust, and The Graveyard Book, all very different from one another but all wonderful tales.
I, too, find all of his books to be very different from one another. I warmly recommend his Sandman comic book series, it is fantastic. Even the different story arcs of the Sandman series differ substantially from one another.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:14 AM   #14652
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for the replies. They're food for thought, and perhaps I will indeed try a new Gaiman story.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #14653
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Just Finished:

- 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King - not bad. The ending was kind of anticlimactic, but overall it was enjoyable. When I started reading it, a lot of people told me it was the scariest novel he ever wrote, but I didn't find anything about it scary in the least. Still fun to read, but no way is it scary.

Currently Reading:

- The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Web Weaver by Sam Siciliano (81%)
- The Passage by Justin Cronin (second time) (47%)
- Joseph Anton by Salman Rushdie (23%)
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #14654
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I just finished "The Gates" by John Connolly, will continue with a couple of Lovecraft shorts then some full novel but I haven't chosen one yet.

Last edited by Quexos; 11-17-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #14655
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Just Finished:

- The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Web Weaver by Sam Siciliano - booooring. Boring.

Currently Reading:

- The Passage by Justin Cronin (second time) (47%)
- Joseph Anton by Salman Rushdie (23%)
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote