Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
colin_t
colin_t began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92
M92: can't upgrade firmware

Hi
I'm having issues trying to update the firmware on the boox m92. I follow the steps outlined in booxtor's post (copy zip file to SD card, reader is charged, hold ok, switch on) but all that happens is I get the message 'software update request detected, checking updates'.

Nothing happens after this point. I tried the 1.6 update, the 1.7 and the 1.7 version designed to fix the freeze issue. I've used 2 different SD cards, and I've waited for hours - nothing happens after this screen.

Once I've given up, I use the reset button on the back and the device restarts as normal. Everything else works fine, but I think not being able to run updates is a problem.

Anyone any ideas on this, is there something I'm missing?
Thanks
colin_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Unzip the file first and put the files contained on the root of the SD card.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
colin_t

thanks stormchild, I did try that - it asks for a password to unzip. Is there an unprotected version?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry Colin, I have no idea. I was only speaking from experience. If you got it from the Onyx site have a look there or in their forums. I am surprised they password an update.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Unzip the file first.
No, it is not needed and even it is not possible (because of password protection).

Putting zip on SD card should work.... (It works for me.)
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
Stormchild
Evangelist

Well it does not work for the OP so I was merely suggesting a way that might help him.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
colin_t

yep, it should work but unfortunately doesn't. Maybe the device is faulty? It seems strange to me that everything else works apart from this (e.g. reads files perfectly from the SD card). Is it very sensitive to problems with the card? I tried 2 different cards but neither one was brand new.

Booxtor, do you have any suggestions? None of your other devices have had this issue?
thanks
Old 04-19-2012, 04:25 AM   #8
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin_t View Post
yep, it should work but unfortunately doesn't. Maybe the device is faulty? It seems strange to me that everything else works apart from this (e.g. reads files perfectly from the SD card). Is it very sensitive to problems with the card? I tried 2 different cards but neither one was brand new.

Booxtor, do you have any suggestions? None of your other devices have had this issue?
thanks
If you see 'software update request detected, checking updates' message, you are doing all correctly.
Try to install http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23593310/update-20120309.zip first.

Last edited by Booxtor; 04-19-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #9
colin_t

nope, still the same with this file. I bought a brand new SD card yesterday and it has not helped. What about running the update from the internal memory, is this not possible/recommended?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
nope, still the same with this file. I bought a brand new SD card yesterday and it has not helped. What about running the update from the internal memory, is this not possible/recommended?
No, from internal memory it is impossible.
I would suggest to contact your vendor with this issue...
Old 04-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
colin_t

ok I sent a message to your store directly. I'd be disappointing to have to return the device as I think it's great otherwise.

This is one of the new M92s in black, do the posted upgrades work on other devices from this batch? Also does anyone know the password for the zip files? I'd like to give stormchild's suggestion a try
Old 04-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
ok I sent a message to your store directly. I'd be disappointing to have to return the device as I think it's great otherwise.

This is one of the new M92s in black, do the posted upgrades work on other devices from this batch? Also does anyone know the password for the zip files? I'd like to give stormchild's suggestion a try
The difference is the colour only. PCB is the same on all devices
I am sure we'll find solution. Actually the version 0309 should make it.
Could you try it again?

Actually you don't need to unzip the file. The installation is only possible from that archive.

Tomorrow I will speak with our dev.team what else could cause problem like yours during installation.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
colin_t

I tried again (fresh download) and still the same. This is the response from ereader-store.de

Quote:
if you could not install beta updates to your device, it is still not a sign of faulty of the device.
Of course we will try to help you. There are two options:
1. Waiting till final release of new update is finished (in may) and then try to install it again.
2. You can send the device to our service office for inspection. If there is indeed something wrong with the device, it will be replaced as a warranty case.

Return is only possible within of 14 days of using. In your case it is no option anymore.

I am sure we can find the proper solution of your issue and you will be happy with your ereader.
I thought the 1.6 version was an official release, and only 1.7 was the beta version? I have no problem waiting till May if it's going to make a difference (it's very hard to see what are official updates and what are not).

I was expecting an offer of a refund given the device may be faulty, but oh well
Old 04-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
I tried again (fresh download) and still the same. This is the response from ereader-store.de

I thought the 1.6 version was an official release, and only 1.7 was the beta version? I have no problem waiting till May if it's going to make a difference (it's very hard to see what are official updates and what are not).

I was expecting an offer of a refund given the device may be faulty, but oh well
If you don't want to wait, just send the device to the Service Office of ereader-store.de and give us you new address in US. Your device will be inspected and if needed repaired/exchanged and shipped to your alternative address.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #15
colin_t

I think I will wait in the hope that this is just a software glitch, since everything works fine in normal use.

In the meantime if there are any suggestions from the dev team or diagnostics I can run, I would be happy to try