Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 03:50 AM   #91
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Indeed.

This being a mobileread forum, I am surprised that not more people find the idea of having 4 times the display resolution to display ebooks as a very intriguing feature.

When I broke my Kindle3 during my holidays (the despair ... having downloaded all the books and then not being able to read them), I started to use the Kindle app on my iPad and found that it does a great job... so much so that I went for the Kindle Fire when it became available (mainly because of its more portable form factor).
Old 03-08-2012, 05:21 AM   #92
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
I think that the importance of how the market receives the new iPad is based on associating iThing's success with Apple and not with Jobs.

If they are not sold out within the first week, then the new management will be blamed. If they will not try to manufacture as many as possible it can be interpreted as no confidence. If 10% increase in weight will be considered too much, if there is no obvious performance boost, if the battery life is slightly shorter, etc. then the device will lose the magical quality.

I'm not saying that Apple won't sell the new models but any market share loss will cost them more then it would cost other manufacturers because they have more to prove.
Advert
Old 03-08-2012, 06:28 AM   #93
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
For reference, my 32GB iPod Touch is nearly half full (4GB system, 8GB apps, 3GB content). I could probably easily chop out 3 or 4GB of that, but still that would leave me with only 4 or 5 GB free space, if all I did was to move this to a new iPad. So much as I would like to get one for $499, I'm pretty sure that would not work for me.
My 6.4GB iPod touch 4 has 3.8GB of free space. Apps - 2.2GB, content - 0.4GB. For a device that's mostly used for internet radio and audiobooks, it has ample room. For that, it's a great device; for anything else, it pretty much sucks.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:34 AM   #94
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Indeed.

This being a mobileread forum, I am surprised that not more people find the idea of having 4 times the display resolution to display ebooks as a very intriguing feature.
Because some of us don't like reading on back lit displays. Also: Kindle -$79; iPad - $499 ...do the math
Old 03-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #95
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Because some of us don't like reading on back lit displays. Also: Kindle -$79; iPad - $499 ...do the math
But, OTOH:

A4/Letter PDF on iPad = readable
A4/Letter PDF on Kindle = unreadable
Advert
Old 03-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #96
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But, OTOH:

A4/Letter PDF on iPad = readable
A4/Letter PDF on Kindle = unreadable
Some of us don't do PDFs
Old 03-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #97
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Some of us don't do PDFs
Oh, absolutely. I read all my fiction on my Kindle, but the iPad is absolutely invaluable when it comes to reading PDFs.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #98
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Oh, absolutely. I read all my fiction on my Kindle, but the iPad is absolutely invaluable when it comes to reading PDFs.
The academic pdf crowd is just going to wild over PDFs rendered at near-laser printer resolution. And iOS has apps that do decent-enought PDF annotation.

Like I said, it's not for me but it's not going to lack for customers.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #99
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Indeed.

When I broke my Kindle3 during my holidays (the despair ... having downloaded all the books and then not being able to read them), I started to use the Kindle app on my iPad and found that it does a great job... so much so that I went for the Kindle Fire when it became available (mainly because of its more portable form factor).
You are right about that, however, for someone who already owns one or looking to upgrade, needs to consider price and weight as well, even portability.

If someone has the money, investing on an iPad3 or whatever the new name is, will be a fantastic reading device, but remember you are paying a good amount of money for that. I guess people will put that in a balance and compare against a Kindle Fire or even a regular eink device.

The iPad is much more than just reading, is a fantastic tablet. But I do not consider its price to be really affordable for majority of people.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #100
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
If someone has the money, investing on an iPad3 or whatever the new name is, will be a fantastic reading device, but remember you are paying a good amount of money for that. I guess people will put that in a balance and compare against a Kindle Fire or even a regular eink device.
The Kindle Fire doesn't enter into the equation for the overwhelming majority of people. It's only sold in the US.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #101
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Some of us don't do PDFs
It's not only PDFs. I read my computer books on my iPad. Kindle eink is kind of too small.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #102
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
1. What was the "one app" you wanted so much?
Viz Manga. There's a Flash-based website but 1) it sucks and 2) it's useless for offline viewing.

Quote:
2. It is my belief that the Apple product buying cycle is much shorter than most other manufacturers. I think the rush to buy the next "upgrades" show this. Witness the excitement about getting a new color.

A lot of my comments come about from having talked with Apple owners over the years, and questioning them on why they buy Apples which are usually more expensive than other products. Granted that was mostly about computers and not iPods, iPhones and iPads.

Those Apple computer owners were a diverse lot. My doctor, at least 2 children, 1 wife, my sister and her husband, cousins, friends, co-workers, etc. They all feel that Apple gives them something special that makes the extra cost worth it, and yet they can't explain what it is very well, if you are familiar with what they want to do.
Is there any question that Steve Jobs was excellent when it comes to marketing? While tech manufacturers are fighting spec wars and have to contend with low profit margins, Apple has built itself into a luxury brand and thus, can command much higher prices for their products. Besides, I reckon familiarity has a lot to do with it. They're already used to Mac OS. A lot of people wouldn't want to move to a new OS and learn a new interface.

I do have to say this, the iPad 2 wasn't my first tablet but it was the first one I felt was worth my money. Prior to that, I already had a $650 Viliv X70 (Atom Z520+XP Home) "slate" and a $1,400 Fujitsu (low voltage Core 2+Vista Business) convertible.

The Viliv was just awful. It was slow, battery life wasn't that good, it gets pretty hot and when you've used it after a while, the display goes all wonky (was never able to trace the cause). The Fujitsu was actually pretty nice. Handwriting recognition was quite accurate and I really liked using it. However, it shares 2 of the complaints I had with the Viliv - short battery life and it gets pretty hot. It's also much heavier (over 2lbs) which made it very tiring to hold for long periods of time. I barely used them and they're just collecting dust now.

Besides, it's not like I'm buying Apple products in lieu of other brands. I just haven't bought a large Android tablet yet because I was waiting for Ice Cream Sandwich (and now that it's been released, I'm waiting on the upcoming Transformer). I'm also waiting for ultra low voltage Ivy Bridge before getting an x86-based slate (although I'm sorely tempted by the Samsung Series 7).

Quote:
Probably because most folks on this forum prefer their e-ink reader(s).

Quote:
You are right about that, however, for someone who already owns one or looking to upgrade, needs to consider price and weight as well, even portability.

The iPad is much more than just reading, is a fantastic tablet. But I do not consider its price to be really affordable for majority of people.
I think that would be the 3rd generation iPad (in much the same way they just refer to the iPod Touch by generation). As for the rest, it's really just a matter of how much you're willing to pay and/or sacrifice (in terms of weight, etc) to get the new features.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #103
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
It's not only PDFs. I read my computer books on my iPad. Kindle eink is kind of too small.
Some of us don't do computer books
Old 03-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #104
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
One thing I haven't commented on though I have seen it elsewhere on the Computer boards is about the new 5MP camera, with auto focus, etc.
The Transformer Prime has a 8MP with auto focus back camera and 1.2MP front camera.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #105
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
The Transformer Prime has a 8MP with auto focus back camera and 1.2MP front camera.
The iPad 3 is using the camera from the iPhone 4S. Probably easier to do that than to "reinvent the wheel" with a new one.
Closed Thread