Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
jackibar
Enthusiast
jackibar began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone apps
Question CSS Question

I'm brand new to trying to use Sigil and it looks like it will be a wonderful tool for creating my Kindle books! I'd previously been creating the html manually and using MobiPocket Creator on my PC laptop to get it into Kindle format. But I'd much prefer being able to use my Mac from start to finish.

Question - I can't seem to figure out how to make the book I'm working on USE the css file. I have added a style.css file to the CSS area, but what do I need to do to get the book to "recognize" this file and incorporate it? In the Book view, it doesn't seem to be applying the styles.

Thanks so much for any help!
jackibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
In the head section of each html file that you want to use the css file:

Code:
<link href="../Styles/stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
Of course, make sure that the filename is the same as whatever your style sheet is named.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-28-2012 at 09:00 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I can imagine that it is confusing that you actually have to reference to the file to use it. I always though it would be handy to have an option to do it automatically.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:39 AM   #4
huebi
Zealot
huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
What if you have more then one CSS, should they all be automatically in? And what happened if they are declaring different rules for the same element? First come, first serve? Cascading (in which order)?
huebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
And that is probably the reason why the option is not there, I know. However, I still think it would be handy.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
jackibar
Enthusiast

Thanks for the help - I do wish there was a way to click on the file name in the left column (books browser) and say to "link" this file to your book section! Anyway, I'm trying to get the code right but it still isn't working. It's probably my "path" - I always get confused where to use the ../ and when not to. I have my Sigil book file saved in a folder called "Sigil Files" and my css file is style.css. I've tried this code:

<link href="../style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

And I've tried removing the "../" at the front but neither are working! What do I need to change?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you've added the style sheet to the ePub using Sigil, then it HAS to be in the "Styles" folder. That's where Sigil puts any file you add that has the .css extension. So make sure it's in the "Styles" folder (when in Sigil)... and if it's named "style.css", then the link code will be:
Code:
<link href="../Styles/style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
The folder you have the ePub saved in on your hard-drive isn't relevant. Only the paths within the ePub are relevant.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-28-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackibar View Post
...I've tried this code:

<link href="../style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

And I've tried removing the "../" at the front but neither are working! What do I need to change?
Re-read post #2!

When you changed the file name you also removed the "folder" name (the "Styles" section heading in the tree view column is, in effect, a folder). Your link text should be:

<link href="../Styles/style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

Note that this path is case sensitive. Also, this link entry needs to appear in each and every (x)HTML file that you want the stylesheet to affect.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I can imagine that it is confusing that you actually have to reference to the file to use it. I always though it would be handy to have an option to do it automatically.
It is easier to delete extra lines than type them in correctly
BTW multiple linked stylesheets are legal

But why not have a right-clik option on a Styles: 'Insert into current HTML page'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
jackibar
Enthusiast

Thanks so much - Okay, Sigil didn't create a Styles folder when I saved the file, and I didn't realize I needed to do so manually! Thanks for explaining that the left window is the folder "heirarchy" - that will be helpful!
Old 02-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I fear you're still a bit confused. The Styles folder exists within the ePub. There's no need to manually create one (in fact you can't create a folder in Sigil's hierachy, that I know of). And again... folders outside of the ePub are irrelevant (after the initial (x)html import).
Old 02-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackibar View Post
Thanks so much - Okay, Sigil didn't create a Styles folder when I saved the file, and I didn't realize I needed to do so manually! Thanks for explaining that the left window is the folder "heirarchy" - that will be helpful!
Sigil will re-arrange files into folders (un-flatten some) upon first import, and will create or Add existing into the appropriate folder

Folders: Text, Styles, Images, Fonts, Misc

No other Nesting permitted
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
But why not have a right-clik option on a Styles: 'Insert into current HTML page'
That would be good, but it would be better to have two items:

Insert into current HTML page
Insert into all HTML pages

Like S&R, have a choice between a single targeted HTML and a global action.

Also have the insertion be intelligent. Have the insertion placed after all other <link...> entries. That way you can insert multiple stylesheets in a particular order by first inserting one and then the other.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
huebi
Zealot
huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Much better would be DWIT button

Do what i think
huebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #15
jackibar
Enthusiast

Ok - I guess since I didn't see a "Styles" folder in the Finder, I figured Sigil didn't create one so I made one myself... I think I'm understanding now that Sigil does create these folders, but they are contained in the ePub file and not actual "folders" you can see when looking in the Finder... - ?