Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
WiFi specs in Kindle 3

I realize that it isn't released yet, but since I'm like the donkey between two hay bales, I have a hard time figuring out if I should forgo 3G.

I do have a WiFi router at home, so that is no problem. But since I'm not a digital warrior but a worrier I am concerned about virus attacks, malware, spyware and whatnot. Considering how sluggish my laptop has become, I'm fairly sure it is filled to capacity with all kinds of Trojan Webworms. How do I avoid that on the Kindle? I'd hate for it to take 5 seconds to turn a page.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:34 AM   #2
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
While it isn't impossible to infect a Kindle, it is terribly unlikely without active assistance on the user's end.

We don't know much about the new browser, but the current one can only download .txt, .prc, .mobi, .azw, and .azw1 files and downloaded files cannot be directed anywhere except the Documents folder. Presumably, the new browser will also allow .aa and/or .aax files to be directed to the Audible folder. Links within a book can open a web page in the browser, but cannot execute files in the file system.

The most likely way that your Kindle would be compromised is with a misrepresented firmware hack. You might download and install it, thinking that you're getting great new features, but really you're hosing yourself. There are a lot of great hacks for Kindle, in fact, I don't know of *any* bad ones. But if someone wanted to attack Kindles, that would be the easiest and most effective way for them to do it.

So, don't take candy (or code) from strangers, and you should be all right.

-JT
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Moreover, the Kindle system partition is always mounted read-only during pretty much everything except updates & boot.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote