Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-19-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
toadzky
toadzky began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle Notes

I am in the process of converting all of my hard copy library to eBooks.

For some of them, the author uses his own language sometimes (The Wheel of Time, Watership Down).

I want the definitions and notes associated with non-English words and phrases to show up when you move the cursor down to the word. I know how to do it manually, but I would like to have it done by the creator software and lock the notes so the reader can't delete them.

I've looked at doing a dictionary file or something similar but I'm not really sure how to implement that and MobiPocket documentation leaves a lot to be desired.

Thanks.
toadzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, toadzky.

Its a little early here right now.......someone is sure to post some hints later.

In the meantime, how about going here, starting a new thread, and introducing yourself?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Let us know where you are from, and what you like to read.

Last edited by desertgrandma; 06-19-2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: link
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadzky View Post
I am in the process of converting all of my hard copy library to eBooks.

For some of them, the author uses his own language sometimes (The Wheel of Time, Watership Down).

I want the definitions and notes associated with non-English words and phrases to show up when you move the cursor down to the word. I know how to do it manually, but I would like to have it done by the creator software and lock the notes so the reader can't delete them.

I've looked at doing a dictionary file or something similar but I'm not really sure how to implement that and MobiPocket documentation leaves a lot to be desired.

Thanks.
Are the words defined in the hard copy, and are they footnotes or at the end?

If it's footnotes, then you're going to be doing by hand. But if a book has a glossary at the end, you could have each word in the book link to its definition in the glossary. With a good find and replace program you can add links to all the instances of a word in a single move.

Each entry in the glossary would look something like this:
<anchor> word - definition <mbpagebreak/>

BTW, if you don't want to build a glossary from scratch, you might go look for fan sites where they might already have the words defined. You could copy and paste their definitions as a starting point for the glossary.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
are you actually converting all of your real books to e-books?
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
toadzky
toadzky began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
They are footnotes at the end of the pages and a glossary in the back. The glossary has a basic definition, the footnotes are more of an explanatory nature.

As for kevindorsey's question, I downloaded most everything I have in hard copy as a PDF or LIT or CHF, etc and I'm converting them to PRC using python regex and dreamweaver.
toadzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
notes dictionary index