Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
zorgon
zorgon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ability to read question

Hi, ebook reader newbie here. I've only ever read ebook on my computer before so a dedicated device is new to me. I mostly read books from baen.com and fictionwise. Will I still be able to read these book on a kindle?
zorgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorgon View Post
Hi, ebook reader newbie here. I've only ever read ebook on my computer before so a dedicated device is new to me. I mostly read books from baen.com and fictionwise. Will I still be able to read these book on a kindle?
All the Baen stuff, yes. Fictionwise, only their multiformat (non-DRM) books -- both in Mobipocket format. If that's not what you have, you can re-download them in Mobi format.

There are ways of removing the DRM on protected Mobi books in order to read them on the Kindle, but that is illegal in many countries.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #3
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
I was wondering about fictionwise myself when I saw zorgon's question. I've already bought a bunch of multiformat books to read on my Sony Reader -- it sounds like if I get a Kindle then, I can just download them in mobi format and put them on the kindle. Sweet!

Unfortunatley, it still means I couldn't read any of the fictionwise books that aren't multiformat, but I guess I can't have everything.

How would you then transfer these books to the Kindle? Can you do it wirelessly, or do you need a computer? And if you need a computer, can you use a mac?
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice View Post
How would you then transfer these books to the Kindle? Can you do it wirelessly, or do you need a computer? And if you need a computer, can you use a mac?
You can hook up your Kindle to your computer via USB and it will show up as a drive -- just copy them over. Works fine on a Mac.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I think you'll be amazed the first time you read on a kindle..I've always hated reading on electronic devices (laptops, etc), but this is NOTHING like that.
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Thanks for the info. That is terrific news. My Sony doesn't work with my mac at all, and needs its own, annoying software installed to transfer books.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice View Post
Thanks for the info. That is terrific news. My Sony doesn't work with my mac at all, and needs its own, annoying software installed to transfer books.
Well, you could use the wonderful Calibre program (which has its own active forum here on Mobileread) to manage your library and transfer your books to the Sony. It now works with the Kindle as well.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #8
zorgon
zorgon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for your quick responses.
zorgon is offline   Reply With Quote