Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you already preorder the Kindle 2?
Yes 100 52.91%
No 23 12.17%
I am going to 9 4.76%
I am not going to 57 30.16%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Did you already preorder the Kindle 2? (poll)

The Kindle 2 sure does look like a smoking gun. Question is, have you already preordered one or are you going to wait?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I ordered deux!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
No, and I am probably going to wait until someone wants to unload their gently used Kindle1 for a killer price.

Then I'll have a back-up.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Nope....will wait until Kindle III due out in Jan 2010
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm happy with my current Kindle actually. I won't be replacing it until it dies. I may even get a second used one like DG is planning.

My next reader (third it will be) is going to be a larger format reader so I can display technical/manual type books and documents on it. I really like the Plastic Logic reader... but there should be a few on the market by the time that come out. The DR1000 is nice, but to pricey for me at this point.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Yeah, I ordered one, and the Kindle 1 will be a backup. Economists says part of the problem with our economy is that people aren't spending, so I'm doing my part.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I preordered one too. I know I won't be able to use its wireless features, but I couldn't resist. I NEED to have this baby in my hands. Sooner than later.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
I preordered one too. I know I won't be able to use its wireless features, but I couldn't resist. I NEED to have this baby in my hands. Sooner than later.
Yay!!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You can order them from Switzerland now?

BOb
Old 02-09-2009, 04:12 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm happy with my current Kindle actually. I won't be replacing it until it dies. I may even get a second used one like DG is planning.

My next reader (third it will be) is going to be a larger format reader so I can display technical/manual type books and documents on it. I really like the Plastic Logic reader... but there should be a few on the market by the time that come out. The DR1000 is nice, but to pricey for me at this point.

BOb
This pretty much sums up my position. I like the Kindle 2 but I've only had mine a year and it's still going strong. If it were lost or broken, I wouldn't hesitate to get a Kindle 2 but I see no compelling reason to switch. I'll see what Kindle 3 has to offer. I'm definitely looking forward to the larger format offerings anticipated in the fall. I don't want to replace my 6" reader with one. The smaller reader is great for novels, but the larger reader would be great for work and study.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #11
random50
Connoisseur
random50 doesn't litterrandom50 doesn't litter

Device: None yet
Doesn't seem to be any point getting it. It doesn't offer anything worthwhile. I'm quite disappointed, really.
random50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
You can order them from Switzerland now?

BOb
I haven't tried but I am afraid not. I have an US billing+shipping address for these kind of things.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by random50 View Post
Doesn't seem to be any point getting it. It doesn't offer anything worthwhile. I'm quite disappointed, really.
Feature wise I think it is pretty on par with the Kindle 1. Lack of expandable memory is a slight step back although not a show stopper for most. Heck, even if the battery isn't user replaceable that not a big deal. Lithium Polymer battery will last for 3 years without much capacity loss.

Keep in mind though... if Amazon wants to sell more kindles, who do they listen to... the people that bought it that just want more features... or the people that didn't buy one. If you want more customers you listen to the potential customers.

The loudest complaint from non-Kindle customers was how "ugly" it was. Not that it didn't have folders or whatever.

BOb
Old 02-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have an US billing+shipping address for these kind of things.
Tricky.

BOb
Old 02-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #15
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Keep in mind though... if Amazon wants to sell more kindles, who do they listen to... the people that bought it that just want more features... or the people that didn't buy one. If you want more customers you listen to the potential customers.

The loudest complaint from non-Kindle customers was how "ugly" it was. Not that it didn't have folders or whatever.
Yep. It been little more than a year so I don't see a lot of K1 owners jumping on upgrading. Most of the features we want can be addressed in firmware, too.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote