Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-18-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
drazzy
drazzy began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Bernard Cornwell's The Warlord Chronicles - similar novels/series?

Love these novels, definitely among my favorites, but apart from them, I've never really delved deeper into the historical fiction 'genre'. So, if anyone has any recommendations at all (medieval era is perhaps the most interesting to me, personally - but a good story is a good story no matter what the time period!) I'd love to hear them. Being a mass consumer of mostly speculative fiction, it'd be a welcome change for sure.
drazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
You might find some of the options discussed in this thread interesting.

They're not medieval - but I enjoyed C. S. Forester's Hornblower books.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by drazzy View Post
Love these novels, definitely among my favorites, but apart from them, I've never really delved deeper into the historical fiction 'genre'. So, if anyone has any recommendations at all (medieval era is perhaps the most interesting to me, personally - but a good story is a good story no matter what the time period!) I'd love to hear them. Being a mass consumer of mostly speculative fiction, it'd be a welcome change for sure.
My personal favorites are "The Game of Kings" (16th century Scotland and Europe) and "Niccolo Rising" (15th century Europe) by Dorothy Dunnett, "Master and Commander" (18th Century Europe and England) by Patrick O'Brian, "Scaramouche" (French Revolution) by Rafael Sabatini, "The Pillars of the Earth" (12th Century England) by Ken Follett, Alan Mallinson's "A Close Run Thing" (1815) and Sharon Kay Penman's "The Queen's Man" (12th Century England). Not to mention the historically based Alexandre Dumas novels of which there are 5 or 6 depending on how the 3rd one is published (as one book or two). Anyway, the Dumas D'Artagnon books begin with The Three Musketeers and end with The Man in the Iron Mask.

I also like Lindsey Davis's roman mysteries and Steven Scarrow's roman adventures.

Historical Novel Society has a list of nominations here, might find something that interests you. http://www.historicalnovelsociety.org/nominations.html
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
drazzy
drazzy began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Cheers to both of you, those Roman Empire novels should be very interesting, also bookmarked the HNS site, looks like a great resource.

Dumas I'm familiar with of course, but those other authors are completely new to me - will definitely check them out first chance I get.
drazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I forgot to mention that I also love the Cornwell Warlord novels too.
Advert
Old 01-19-2009, 12:29 AM   #6
Novasea
Enthusiast
Novasea doesn't litterNovasea doesn't litterNovasea doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
Sharon Kay Penman's Welsh Trilogy is excellent. Her stand alone The Sunne in Splendour is also good. Actually..she has another series..the name of which I can't remember right now. Her detective series..in my opinion..is not up to her usual standard.
Novasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:49 AM   #7
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Don't forget Steven Saylor's Roma Sub-Rosa series!
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #8
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
I also like Lindsey Davis's roman mysteries and Steven Scarrow's roman adventures.
Correcting myself, that's "Simon Scarrow's" roman books, not Steven. And as was mentioned, Steven Saylor has the roma sub rosa series too. Somehow I combined the two to get "Steven Scarrow". All three authors are good.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #9
richard83
richard83 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
If you enjoyed Bernard Cornwell's novel then I can recommend his "Grail Quest" series set in the early 1300's about an english archer in france. Very good set of books!
richard83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
As another lover of The Warlord Chronicles, I'd recommend something by David Gemmell. Legend, for example. It's fantasy rather than historical fiction and not quite as gritty as Cornwell's work. Most of the plot describes the build-up to a huge and very exciting battle.

There is also George R. R. Martin's amazing epic that begins with A Game of Thrones. There are plenty of great battles in this series too with wonderfully drawn characters to boot.
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #11
Novasea
Enthusiast
Novasea doesn't litterNovasea doesn't litterNovasea doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
I am reading Martin's Game of Thrones right now...loving it. Didn't think I would..but it is very good. I also enjoyed Edward Rutherfurd's Princes of Ireland and Rebels of Ireland. Both excellent historical fiction in my opinion. Of course, in my opinion again, Martin is more fantasy than historical fiction.
Novasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:07 PM   #12
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Just reading Bernard Cornwell's other series could keep you busy for a while. I think you'd like his "Grail Quest" series. I've read the first two of his "Saxon Stories", listened to audio books of the "Starbuck Chronicles" and most of the "Sharpe Books". Different time periods but all good books.

If you like the Arthurian legends I really liked Jack Whyte's Camulod-Eagles but alas they don't seem to be available as ebooks. He has the first two books out of a trilogy on the Knights Templar though which are available as ebooks.

I'd also recommend Conn Iggulden's Emperor series if you're interested in Romain historical fiction or his Conqueror series on Ghengis Khan.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:03 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I like Stephen R. Lawhead and his Pendragon series. I must find the second book of hist newest series, which goes about the legend of Robin Hood. Most of his books play in Wales.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:06 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
If you are interested in Arthur's legends, then to people who liked Warlord chronicles, Mary Stewart's Merlin series are usually recommended.
I have not read any of them, but I am planning to.
Some say that Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon are not bad.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:24 PM   #15
mikey24
mikey24 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3
Authors similar to Bernard Cornwell

I really enjoy Bernard Cornwell's books. My favourites are his Warlord Series and his stand alone book called 'Redcoat'.

In search of an author similar to Cornwell, I've read many - Humphries, Scarrow, Pressfield, Severin, Aitcheson, Iggulden, Young, Lowe, Whyte, Kristian, Wilde, Hollick, Sutcliff and on...

IMO the closest matches are Angus Donald and David Gemmell (Troy series)

Ken Follett for his 'Pillars of the Earth' book.

I hope this helps?
mikey24 is offline   Reply With Quote