Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #16
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Perhaps our failsafe should have iptables adjusted to allow SSH over wifi, in case USB networking is not working, like we did for the K4.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #17
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beekr25 View Post
So I attempted to update my kindle PW with the above directions. Everything went smooth until I entered the last command (Reboot into main: idme -d --bootmode main; reboot). A message appeared on the bottom of the device "N E failed to set usb0 ip, this is bad" over the advert on the bottom of the kindle. It won't power off, the screen isn't responding but it does connect via USBNET but not SSH if that make sense. I can see it in my Mac Network settings but can't ssh to it in terminal. Advice or have I just ruined my PW? Arggg
Ben
Try to just press the power button until the device reboots. The device should be usable despite that message (yes, I've also seen that message, and it actually didn't do any harm). If in doubt, restart the PW while it is disconnected (=without any USB cable). That should do.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #18
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
To expand a bit on the issue:

* USBNet relies on volumd to toggle between USBMS/USBNET.
* volumd uses modprobe to remove & load the usb gadgets.
* On remove, modprobe will try to unload the parent modules of the removed module if they're unused.
* As a consequence, depending on the device, if the device is plugged in, modprobe will fail either on remove or load with a 'Device or resource busy' error. (Which, AFAICT, is completely true & valid).

Now, USBNet does a bunch of safety checks (namely, waiting for usb0 to come up before calling ifconfig to set a custom IP). Simple_usbnet just called volumd (through lipc), and let the system handle it. Apparently, if you leave it alone long enough, it *does* end up coming up properly (on volumd's terms), so that was mostly transparent on simple_usbnet (although, you'd have to actually unplug the device too to make the switch effective). USBNet, ont the other hand, *needs* stuff to look okay *during* the lifetime of its helper script, so it'll wait for 15s for usb0 to come up, and throw that error and give up after that. After that, it's basically undefined behaviour. usb0 might come up properly (on volumd's terms), or not .

I didn't use simple_usbnet much, and I'm used to this limitation from the K2/3, so I never looked too deeply into it at the time, because I was avoiding it, but if someone can confirm that simple_usbnet handled toggling while plugged in slightly better, I can add a setting that bypasses those checks (and duplicate simple_usbnet's behavior). That means losing the custom IP (if the setting is enabled), but since we default to the same settings as volumd, that's not terribly annoying...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-08-2012 at 07:04 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #19
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To get back to Beekr25's message:

I didn't check the files, but given the first post and your answers a few messages later, I'm guessing you didn't put USBNet in the image, ixtab?

So, err, why the hell is Beekr25 seeing an eips print from USBnet? ^^

@Beekr25: So, yeah, more details ;D. Did you happen to have USBNet installed before doing this? (Because if you did, and you're seeing it after a full flash, something obviously went wrong during the flash).
You mentioned it appeared 'over the advert', so was that *after* the boot process (ie. on the Home page)?
Or did you just reinstall it after the 5.3 flash?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-08-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #20
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I didn't check the files, but given the first post and your answers a few messages later, I'm guessing you didn't put USBNet in the image, ixtab?
You're totally right: the posted image contains *ONLY* the original Amazon files, plus the jailbreak (/etc/uks/pubdevkey01.pem), and the two files to switch to diags mode: /etc/upstart/debrick.conf and /etc/upstart/debrick

Nothing more, no other changes.

Last edited by ixtab; 11-08-2012 at 08:38 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #21
Beekr25
Beekr25 shares his or her toysBeekr25 shares his or her toysBeekr25 shares his or her toysBeekr25 shares his or her toysBeekr25 shares his or her toysBeekr25 shares his or her toysBeekr25 shares his or her toysBeekr25 shares his or her toysBeekr25 shares his or her toysBeekr25 shares his or her toysBeekr25 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paper White
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
To get back to Beekr25's message:

@Beekr25: So, yeah, more details ;D. Did you happen to have USBNet installed before doing this? (Because if you did, and you're seeing it after a full flash, something obviously went wrong during the flash).
You mentioned it appeared 'over the advert', so was that *after* the boot process (ie. on the Home page)?
Or did you just reinstall it after the 5.3 flash?

Yes I had USBNet Installed.

The message appeared sometime between step 7-9 but I didn't notice it until I realized the screen was unresponsive.

A further update I have since powered off the unit and now it's stuck on the Kindle screen with a boy reading a book. Ive tried a 30 second hold and a 3 minute hold of the power button but it won't move past the reading boy screen. I currently have the unit plugged in to fully charge it to see if that makes a difference.

As I just bought the unit I may have to try my luck with a return if there is no fix.

Ben
Beekr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #22
msg7086
msg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
BE NOTICE that, it may require you to set up the RNDIS driver again when you're in DIAG mode (in case you set up before, you need to do it again for the DIAG mode, including set the IP address)

Code:
#################################################
#  N O T I C E  *  N O T I C E  *  N O T I C E  # 
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to
switch back to a writable rootfs.
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# ls /mnt/us -l
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           162 Nov  8 17:35 USBnet.xml
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          8192 Nov  8 17:32 diagnostic_logs
drwxr-xr-x    9 root     root          8192 Oct 26 12:31 documents
drwxr-xr-x   10 root     root          8192 Nov  8 17:31 linkss
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root     169891140 Nov  8 03:39 rootfs.img.gz
drwxr-xr-x    9 root     root          8192 Nov  8 17:22 system
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       4718592 Nov  8 04:16 uImage
drwxr-xr-x    6 root     root          8192 Nov  1 06:06 usbnet
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# dd if=/mnt/us/uImage of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=4096 seek=65
1152+0 records in
1152+0 records out
4718592 bytes (4.5MB) copied, 0.546835 seconds, 8.2MB/s
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# zcat /mnt/us/rootfs.img.gz | dd of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4096
87500+0 records in
87500+0 records out
358400000 bytes (341.8MB) copied, 103.336101 seconds, 3.3MB/s
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# idme -d --bootmode main; reboot
Devmode enabled
Reading vars from temp storage...
...None found, Copying vars from /proc
Setting bootmode to main
Writing new vars to temp area
You must reboot before new values will take effect
Flashing the rootfs may take up to 2 minutes, be patient.

Seems it's all set.

Thanks for so many works on it.

Last edited by msg7086; 11-08-2012 at 07:51 PM.
msg7086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #23
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
@ixtab: I suggest that you add the following message to the top post:

Fully recharge the battery before you begin this process!

Perhaps a new step order of:

0 - Place device in airplane mode
1 - Fully recharge the battery
2 - Ensure that you are running version 5.2.0 of the Amazon software

2.5 - Only when the battery is fully charged, proceed with:

Steps 3 ... last as now posted.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #24
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
^ seconded. This one could be painful.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #25
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Beekr25: Yeah, that does sound like a bad flash, there shouldn't have been any trace of USBNet left. Which might explain why it appears to be borked ;/.

EDIT: You mentioned that USBNet still comes up. If you had it in auto mode, try doing a hard-reboot with the Kindle unplugged, and then only plug it & try to get in via SSH a bit after the spinner appears (if it gets there), that's when USBNet is triggered.

If you can get in, you might want to throw a stop framework or stop lab126_gui fast to avoid the halt on failure, and give you time to look at the system.

(Or a touch /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS, since you had ixtab's rescue pack, too).

(Or assume only the rescue pack is still working, boot while plugged in, and see if it comes up in USBMS long enough for you to drop an ENABLE_DIAGS).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-08-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:27 AM   #26
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
I'm stuck in diags mode Can't enable USB networking I get to the press x for enable USBnet and the only x I can click is exit at the very bottom, but that does nothing.
I can't use the DisableDiags option from the menu as that chucks up an error that the file is missing.

Please help.
I've followed everything, step by step.

Last edited by Akirainblack; 11-09-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:33 AM   #27
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
I'm stuck in diags mode Can't enable USB networking I get to the press x for enable USBnet and the only x I can click is exit at the very bottom, but that does nothing.
Pressing that x should take you out a level in the diags menu, but it DOES start usb networking (if installed). Your host PC should see the kindle as an RNDIS device...

I just upgraded to the "safe" 5.3.0, and it worked fine for me. Then I installed the usb network hack for the main partition.

The "exit diags" menu also works for booting back to main. It will reset the idme bootmode var for you. If it complains about a missing xml file, just select the first diag on the main diag menu (Device Settings) to create that file. Then go disable diags again...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:37 AM   #28
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
I installed the "rescue pack" which says it includes the USBnet.
I also did wait after clicking that X but nothing changed on the laptop it was plugged into.

Sorry got overly worried, I'd bricked my Paperwhite.
Thanks geekmaster, back to normal now. <Phew>
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:50 AM   #29
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
I guess that PW will be shipped in Europe with 5.3 firmware... That's bad.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #30
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
ixtab
Updating 5.20>5.30 from this thread successfully. Thanks!!!

Collections Manager not work - stands on the screen www.ixtab.tk...
(Kindlet JailBreak - 20121029).
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote