Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-18-2007, 08:30 AM   #1
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
Transferring ownership of Sony Reader (question)

for whatever reason i'm a bit confused how i go about selling my sony reader. Since I had to register it via the sony connect will my personal information stay there when another person uses it, or will they have to redo the registration process (which is what i hope happens). Do I just do a hard reset of the device and uninstall the software, or is there something else i'll have to do before selling it.

basically, what are the steps I should complete before letting a stranger use the device and the software.

i'm just hoping the connect reader software doesn't automatically log in the sony reader based on its hardware based information.

(and that's ownership, not ovnership in the subject)

Last edited by krighton; 08-18-2007 at 08:39 AM.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:56 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you log on to the Connect Store there is an "unregister my device" option. Make sure that you do that before selling it, delete all the contents from it, and you're all set.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you log on to the Connect Store there is an "unregister my device" option. Make sure that you do that before selling it, delete all the contents from it, and you're all set.
so if they connect to the ebook store, by unregistering, they won't get access to my account information?
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Exactly correct, krighton -- your info is in your account. By unregistering your Reader from your account, you detach it from the place where your info is, so you're all set.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
Lloyd Harris
Lloyd Harris began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 500 & 505
follow up

Hello - I might be passing on my prs500 to a friend (thinking of going for the 505). I would de-register the Reader and explain to them that they needed to register it in their own name. My question is - would those books already loaded remain on the system? It seems a waste if they are lost. Also, would the fact that some titles were aquired via Connect and others via PG make any difference?
Lloyd Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The PG texts would be just fine, unless you erase them. The ConnTexts (do you know how long I've been waiting to use that one? ) are tied to the account at the ConnStore. Once the Reader is de-registered from your account, it won't be able to open them anymore even if you leave them on the device, so there's not much point in leaving them on it as all your friend would be able to do with them is erase them.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #7
Lloyd Harris

Thanks for clearing that up - even if it wasn't the answer I was hoping for.

In that case should I use up the remainder of the 'Free Classics' offer so that I will be able to transfer them to the 505?
Old 11-13-2007, 12:39 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

The "Free Classics" credit is also tied to the account, not the device, you'll still have access to the remainder of the credit once you de-register the device. Plus, you'd get a second "Free Classics" credit for the second device.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:45 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What you could do is have your friend use your account and thus any books either of you purchase you could both read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:57 PM   #10
Lloyd Harris

Thanks NatCh
Old 11-13-2007, 12:58 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What you could do is have your friend use your account and thus any books either of you purchase you could both read.
He may not be that close a friend.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:59 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Harris View Post
Thanks NatCh
You're welcome
Old 11-13-2007, 01:02 PM   #13
Lloyd Harris

Quote:
That's an idea - worth considering, thanks.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:03 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is one other solution you have...

You can leave your 500 registered to your account and leave all the purchased books on it. Then once your friend is finished reading the ones he wants to read, he can register it under his own account and then the books you've purchase don it will no longer be readable and all he hs to do is delete them from the reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:14 PM   #15
Lloyd Harris

Quote:
There is one other solution you have...

You can leave your 500 registered to your account and leave all the purchased books on it. Then once your friend is finished reading the ones he wants to read, he can register it under his own account and then the books you've purchase don it will no longer be readable and all he hs to do is delete them from the reader.
Yep, another, and probably better, solution.

What a helpful forum this is!