Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #16
Fortissimo
Connoisseur
Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition (PRS-650BC)
Warakawa,

I hope you wouldn't feel too bad if someone burgled your house.
Fortissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #17
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
*looks under the bridge*

Do we have a troll here?

Please don't feed the troll.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 06:44 AM   #18
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Talking

Let Warakawa try it - be interesting to know what happens when they're asked for proof of purchase and date.

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #19
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
from Sony...
2. ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE FROM HANDLING (referred to as "ADH").

If Your service plan covers ADH, it will be listed on the front of this Service Contract. Your Product is protected against accidental damage FROM HANDLING. ADH Coverage begins on the Product purchase date. Any claim for ADH is subject to the total dollar limit for Your Service Contract which is listed in Section 6 below. ADH only covers operational or mechanical failure of Your Product as a result of damage from an unexpected or unintentional external event, such as drops or spills, that arise from normal handling and use of the Product as intended by the manufacturer. It does not include protection against normal wear and tear, theft, loss, misplacement, viruses, reckless, abusive, willful or intentional conduct, cosmetic damage, missing parts and/or other damage that does not affect the unit functionality, and any other limitations listed in Section 12 below.

In order to make a claim for coverage under ADH, You will have to provide an explanation of where and when the accident occurred as well as a detailed description of the event. Failure to provide this information will result in claim denial.

https://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...0151&langId=-1
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #20
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Gardenstate, what's next? Only thing missing now is you copying Warakawa the above mentioned front side of the contract so he can forge himself one...
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #21
dra_usa
dra_usa began at the beginning.

Device: none
No Sony

Do yourself a favor and don't drop money on Sony products anyway.
I had a shattered screen. They absolutely refused to stand by the product, even though it is obviously caused by poor design. The cost of repair is the price of a whole new unit! The customer service is horrendous as well.

If all e-reader companies are like this, save yourself the heartache and just get a library card.
dra_usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #22
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Come on.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dra_usa View Post
I had a shattered screen. They absolutely refused to stand by the product, even though it is obviously caused by poor design. The cost of repair is the price of a whole new unit! The customer service is horrendous as well.
If all e-reader companies are like this, save yourself the heartache and just get a library card.
Somewhat late entry on this thread ??
But, if you do something to any reader that is sufficiently severe to result in "..a shattered screen..." I doubt you have any recompense coming, unless you have taken out a warranty that specifically covers such an event.
Allthough you give no details, it sounds like the shattered screen was caused by your mistreatment of the device, not any design fault per se - you do hear of people who have done dreadful things to their Sony/Kindle/Bookeen etc... without harm, but they're few and far between.

None of them are made of transparent Kevlar, you know !

[ Actually, did you think to check your household contents insurance ? Most decent ones cover items for accidental damage - I know, as I managed to run over a pretty expensive camera, and got a replacement on our Contents cover. ]
Old 02-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #23
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
And BTW, Sony DOES read this forum.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #24
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by dra_usa View Post

And necrophilia is just...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #25
carpetmojo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
And BTW, Sony DOES read this forum.
That's why they don't get back to people, too busy logging on here.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #26
dra_usa
dra_usa began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Somewhat late entry on this thread ??
But, if you do something to any reader that is sufficiently severe to result in "..a shattered screen..." I doubt you have any recompense coming, unless you have taken out a warranty that specifically covers such an event.
Allthough you give no details, it sounds like the shattered screen was caused by your mistreatment of the device, not any design fault per se - you do hear of people who have done dreadful things to their Sony/Kindle/Bookeen etc... without harm, but they're few and far between.

None of them are made of transparent Kevlar, you know !

[ Actually, did you think to check your household contents insurance ? Most decent ones cover items for accidental damage - I know, as I managed to run over a pretty expensive camera, and got a replacement on our Contents cover. ]
I agree, if you do something sufficiently severe, you might not have recompense. My complaint doesn't have to do with readers, but with Sony the corporation.
The deal is, there was no mistreatment of my laptop. A local computer repair place said they see laptops from time to time with broken screens caused by the screen flexing when the laptop is closed with one hand, rather than evenly with two hands. Is that reasonable, to expect users to close the lid with two hands?? Is it mistreatment if it's not closed so carefully? Or is it poor design? And the biggest question: should it really cost the user as much to fix the broken screen as it costs to purchase an entire new laptop? Sony's excuse for that is that they "use quality parts". Let's laugh together on that one. Do they mean quality like in the screen that couldn't handle being closed with one hand?

The screen doesn't have to be made of Kevlar. But if I performed at my job the way Sony has, I would be ashamed to cash my paycheck.
dra_usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #27
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
@dra_usa: I suspect that most of those who responded to you were assuming you were referring to a smashed screen on a Sony e-reader rather than a laptop. In many cases people don't realize that e-readers have a very thin glass plate in the screen and you can't just throw them into a backpack or purse with other stuff and not expect it to break. I think most people (myself included) would be a lot more likely to agree with you based on your 2nd post.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote