Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 04:49 AM   #1
penworth
penworth began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Alternative Book Readers for the Rooted Nook Color

Does anyone have any alternative readers for the rooted nook color?

I'm having a blast with the Aldiko Reader, as it has PDF functionality AND the ability to read on the page where you last left off. That always bugged me in the vanilla pdf reader of nook color.

But I do not like how there's no "fit to screen" option if the pdf is set to the landscape.

Also, the ability to make and name bookmarks is a bonus for me.

Anyone else have suggestions for good readers?
penworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Check out the Mobileread wiki here for Android ereader SW, although these seem aimed more at epub books.

I don't read PDFs but I really like the FBreader & the Moon+reader was interesting.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
penworth
penworth began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Cool beans, will check it out!
penworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Check out the Mobileread wiki here for Android ereader SW, although these seem aimed more at epub books.

I don't read PDFs but I really like the FBreader & the Moon+reader was interesting.
That is a good list, but they really need to comment on each one to let us know the good apps from the bad ones. A rating would be nice. A list of common features with a checkmark or an X so we can compare functionality. A list by itself is pretty much useless.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Here's a current thread from the Android forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70921

Detailed list of ebook reader apps.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Scion, thanks for that link; I'd missed that one.

I know you are fond of Aldiko. I also like the interface and flexibility of it, but the fact that it forces you to place your books on the SD card then appears to copy them makes this a no-go for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here, but part of the issues I'd experienced recently with my library (detailed in an earlier post) were due in part to the fact that I unknowingly had two copies of books and Calibre was seeing both of them.

The other issue I experienced with Aldiko -- and something that I hadn't seen anyone else post -- was the intermittent page turn delay every few pages on ordinary sized books.

Anyway, for the time being I'm sticking with the stock B&N reader. Since my entire library is epub, I haven't experienced a single issue with the stock reader.
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would have stuck with the stock reader if it supported tags. I had no choice but to move on. Each person has preferences ranked in order of importance. Tags is at the top of my list. If there's an update that brings tags on board, that would be fabulous!

I'm using Moon+ now as my go to reader app for several reasons. Highlights, notes, bookmarks (all can be exported), social sharing in books (not just B&N purchased ones), varied backgrounds with texture, physical book page turn animation (varied speeds), able to import your own fonts, able to make text bold/darker, choice of smart paragraphs, remove line spaces, or paragraph indentation.

Moon+ is my first choice, Aldiko is second.

Last edited by SCION; 01-23-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

I remember having that problem with Aldiko and the Archos 5IT I very briefly owned. I thought perhaps it was the tablet's horrible hybrid interface, but maybe it was Aldiko instead. Of course I'm not a fan of Android anyway as it seems to be a very immature OS and still caters to mobilephones. I get tired of having to jump through hoops to get apps to work. Too much hassle and way too many headaches.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #9
Girl Read Write
Literary Goodness
Girl Read Write began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPad 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, Samsung Infuse
I've never heard of Moon+, I need to check it out I guess.
Girl Read Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Read Write View Post
I've never heard of Moon+, I need to check it out I guess.
I installed and uninstalled it a couple of times because it required much tweaking and doesn't have a visual appeal on its home screen. I was also expecting something like the stock reader or Aldiko in terms of settings. One day I decided to install it again and make the effort to go through the various options and appreciate the flexibility instead of complaining.

Last edited by SCION; 01-23-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #11
Girl Read Write
Literary Goodness
Girl Read Write began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPad 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, Samsung Infuse
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I installed and uninstalled it a couple of times because it required much tweaking and doesn't have a visual appeal on its home screen. I was also expecting something like the stock reader or Aldiko in terms of settings. One day I decided to install it again and make the effort to go through the various options and appreciate the flexibility instead of complaining.
Oh, so it's "that" kind of app. LOL. Thanks for the heads up! You seem to be WAY more technologically proficient than I am, so I bet if I install that bad boy it's going to give me a lot of grief. I may come back to you with questions about it!
Girl Read Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
There are several PDF readers that remember the last page read on the Android market, however there is only two I would recommend.

ezPDF and Repligo. Repligo has annotation and renders the page faster and is also my choice ..

EZPDF cost $1 and Repligo cost $5(it has been on sale for $2.50.

If you are also looking for an office app, thinkfree has a decent PDF reader but not as good as the other two.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #13
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
LOL, SCION. I've actually installed and uninstalled it twice. Maybe I should give it another try.
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Note folks the wiki page where updated from the thread listed here so you don't have to visit both sites.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:20 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegS View Post
LOL, SCION. I've actually installed and uninstalled it twice. Maybe I should give it another try.
Oh my goodness! That is too funny. It's great to share things here.