Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #106
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You need to start your book over again. You need to set Book Designer for German and then reload the book. Do not use the html0 file if you have one. If you have the Book Cleaner 1.5 files in place and set right with 1 being the input and 2 being the output, then you should be good to go.

But one thing to do is check the original source to see if there are em dashes or double dashes. If not, you won't have any em dashes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #107
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But one thing to do is check the original source to see if there are em dashes or double dashes. If not, you won't have any em dashes.
Ok, thanks. It appears the source lacks em dashes... greaaat. But thank you for bringing up that possibility, otherwise I would have spent more time trying to fix it.

But that other thing... how do I save files in Book Designer's native format? I mean, I load the LIT file and do all the necessary editing, but if I save it as HTML, the next time I load it in BD, the titles and subtitles are all messed up again as they were when I opened the LIT. Yes, other changes are saved correctly, but the titles aren't.

While we're on the topic of titles... why does BD treat everything with even a remote possibility of being a title as a title? It's more than a bit irritating, and I find most of my time spent turning those into paragraphs and subtitles.

And thanks for the quick reply.

EDIT: Ok, found the BD format option. The question about title detection still stands though.

Last edited by Valloric; 02-11-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #108
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What I do is have just "detect titles by keywords" checked for the detect titles options. Seems to work OK. But you still have to check for titles and subtitles. And you might have to format some titles.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #109
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, one more question...

Is there a way to remove that "Made with Book Designer etc" notice from the back of any format BD exports? Some kind of setting or configuration file or whatever... I don't know how to remove it by hand from LRF files, and it's bugging the hell out of me...

I'd understand if I was using a shareware version, then this type of annoying behavior would be perfectly alright as a means to get you to buy the full version, but BD is freeware (or am I missing something), so I don't get the necessity of forcing that notice on it's users.

So, any way to configure BD not to add it? If there isn't one, is there an easy way to remove it from LRF files?
Old 02-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #110
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
OK, one more question...

Is there a way to remove that "Made with Book Designer etc" notice from the back of any format BD exports? Some kind of setting or configuration file or whatever... I don't know how to remove it by hand from LRF files, and it's bugging the hell out of me...

I'd understand if I was using a shareware version, then this type of annoying behavior would be perfectly alright as a means to get you to buy the full version, but BD is freeware (or am I missing something), so I don't get the necessity of forcing that notice on it's users.

So, any way to configure BD not to add it? If there isn't one, is there an easy way to remove it from LRF files?
You could use lrf2lrs and edit the lrs to remove the text and then use lrs2lrf to put it back into lrf format. But that does seem an awful lot of work for each eBook. Other then that you could just put in a page break at the end of the book so the BD info would go on it's own page and not be with the actually text of the book.
Advert
Old 02-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #111
Valloric

Quote:
Other then that you could just put in a page break at the end of the book so the BD info would go on it's own page and not be with the actually text of the book.
Oh that is a GREAT idea, thank you! Should have thought of that...
Old 02-12-2008, 03:08 PM   #112
Valloric

Bah! Doesn't work... BD acts like the page break is not there. Sad really...
Old 02-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #113
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

All that's wrong is you don't have your options set correctly. Easy to fix.

When you go to make Sony Reader file, select the options tab. Then find the misc section and make sure page breaks & user page breaks are both checked. Then you'll get the BD blurb on it's own page.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #114
Valloric

Quote:
All that's wrong is you don't have your options set correctly. Easy to fix.

When you go to make Sony Reader file, select the options tab. Then find the misc section and make sure page breaks & user page breaks are both checked. Then you'll get the BD blurb on it's own page.
Yes, I know about those options, and yes, I did set them correctly, and no, it still didn't work.

EDIT: It works good, I just didn't know you had to save before making an e-book, otherwise it doesn't register your changes...

Last edited by Valloric; 02-12-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:29 PM   #115
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Glad it's all sorted.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #116
Roberts324
Mad translator
Roberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enough

Device: eBookwise 1150 reader, Samsung E60 reader, SAMSUNG N150 netbook
I use BD to create .imp eBooks for an EB1150 reader. However, there are a few problems I could not solve in my attempts, among them:

1) How does one create "running headers" (with title and author at top of the page, maybe with a line underneath), as is possible with GEBLibrarian, and, with some manual editing, with eBook technologies' eBook Publisher?

2) Why can't I lookup a word in the EB1150 dictionary as is the case with said programs?

3) Why can't I have two levels of zooming?

Thanks for any hint on how to achieve those.

Robert
Roberts324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #117
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberts324 View Post
I use BD to create .imp eBooks for an EB1150 reader. However, there are a few problems I could not solve in my attempts, among them:

1) How does one create "running headers" (with title and author at top of the page, maybe with a line underneath), as is possible with GEBLibrarian, and, with some manual editing, with eBook technologies' eBook Publisher?

2) Why can't I lookup a word in the EB1150 dictionary as is the case with said programs?

3) Why can't I have two levels of zooming?

Thanks for any hint on how to achieve those.

Robert
Robert:

I don't use BD, so I'm not too sure about issue 1).

However, issue 2). and issue 3). happen because your resulting .IMP is basically a collection of 'images' for each page, not text. This happens when you select MultiLang support. It does produce a very attractive page with this selected, but at the expense of not having 'real' words to 'lookup' or 'zoom' out.

Search for how others have handled MultiLang support, especially if you want the text to support accents and such.

-Nick
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:40 PM   #118
happynow
Banned
happynow began at the beginning.

Device: fgh
Thumbs up

Thanks for your help .
happynow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:11 AM   #119
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
I'm not getting this Book Cleaner right... I did everything as the posts here instruct, I load my book, and I get question marks where em dashes should be. I checked the "language" in options, saw it was English. Since I read this should be German, I put German and now I have regular dashes... better than question marks, but still... no em dashes...

Can someone explain to me how this is supposed to work? I feel like such an idiot... em dashes are important. and I want 'em ..

Other than this little problem, everything is fine. I'm using Book Designer to edit all my books and I have to say, it's one damn fine program.
There's one other important step to take: on the "Make Sony Reader" dialog, go to the "Options" page and in the "Misc" section, set the "dashes" option to "as it is".

Quote:
Oh, one more thing... how do I save to Book Designer's native format? I can see it in the Open Book dialog (html0, cit), but not in the Save As dialog...
What I do personally is to make a copy of the entire "LastFile" folder in BD and copy it to the folder where I have my book source.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:11 PM   #120
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's one other important step to take: on the "Make Sony Reader" dialog, go to the "Options" page and in the "Misc" section, set the "dashes" option to "as it is".

What I do personally is to make a copy of the entire "LastFile" folder in BD and copy it to the folder where I have my book source.
Uhm... thanks for the help HarryT, but both problems have been already taken care of

And I found that there's a button on the home row in BD, and with all those buttons for converting to various formats, the very last button, waaaay on the right, is "convert to BD format".

Last edited by Valloric; 02-17-2008 at 05:13 PM.

Tags
bookdesigner