Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-23-2010, 01:23 AM   #16
notyou
Connoisseur
notyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle / Palm Pre / iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
I'm also taking advantage of their other promo to buy ebook copies of my many O'Reilly paper-back books for $4.99 each. Hell of a good deal!
Augh! Wish I'd seen the $9.99 deal earlier! But this $4.99 one is intriguing. Can you provide me a link? Do we need to fax in copies of the covers of the books we already own or something? I'm up for that!
notyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:54 PM   #17
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Their servers must have been really slammed. Two days later my $9.99 ebook purchase has yet to show up in my account for download.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #18
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I bought 7 books in 3 orders: 1, 2, and 4. So far, I've gotten 1, 1, and 2. Weird.

If things aren't sorted out by Monday, I'll bug them about it, but this is O'Reilly, after all, so I'm willing to cut them insane amounts of slack.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #19
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I bought 7 books in 3 orders: 1, 2, and 4. So far, I've gotten 1, 1, and 2. Weird.

If things aren't sorted out by Monday, I'll bug them about it, but this is O'Reilly, after all, so I'm willing to cut them insane amounts of slack.
Ditto. I trust O'Reilly, love their no-DRM stance, and I saved $26 off the ebook price, which was already about $10 cheaper than the p-book sells. I'm not complaining, just making an observation. Did we break something?
Old 05-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #20
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellaster View Post
Did we break something?
In another thread, I worked out that they probably sold somewhere between 35,000 and 40,000 ebooks in one day -- just between my first order and my last, an order every 3 seconds. Yeah, I think their ecommerce server is now a puddle of slag.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:59 PM   #21
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyou View Post
Augh! Wish I'd seen the $9.99 deal earlier! But this $4.99 one is intriguing. Can you provide me a link? Do we need to fax in copies of the covers of the books we already own or something? I'm up for that!
You need to have an account at oreilly.com and you need to be logged in. All you need to do is register them by entering the isbn-13 code from the back cover. I knew that I had bought a lot of O'Reilly books over the years, but I hadn't realized it was over 100.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:18 AM   #22
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I popped for two training books on Python and Rails - and saved about 50 bucks. The day after the sale was over I got the EMail from O'Reilly announcing the sale - Thanks again for announcing it here! At least now they can afford new servers.

The good (no DRM) publishers get my business. I seriously hope the others go out of business. No sympathy from me on their broken business model. Same for the use-only approved-development-software companies.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:40 PM   #23
notyou
Connoisseur
notyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle / Palm Pre / iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
You need to have an account at oreilly.com and you need to be logged in. All you need to do is register them by entering the isbn-13 code from the back cover. I knew that I had bought a lot of O'Reilly books over the years, but I hadn't realized it was over 100.
Awesome. Thanks!!
notyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #24
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

My books showed up. Yay!

Further update: Downloaded and in Calibre. WW is now a happy puppy.

Last edited by Worldwalker; 05-24-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #25
Dellaster
本の虫

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
My books showed up. Yay!
Congrats! Mine showed up too, but apparently now it's the download server that's choking as so many people try to get their ebooks. It sends me to an error page whenever I click the download button.

Ah well, it's not like I was going to start reading it today anyway. It's just something I grabbed at the cheap price for future reference.