Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #16
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Is Australia covered by the SFGateway versions?
I'm not sure. But that's really not my point. Unless one has been there it may be hard to understand just how irritating it is to repeatedly go to sites and be told one is not allowed to buy.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #17
Arjen
Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I'm not sure. But that's really not my point. Unless one has been there it may be hard to understand just how irritating it is to repeatedly go to sites and be told one is not allowed to buy.
That's the trouble with rights, especially for a writer who was written so much over such a long time: rights are spread over different publishers.

Gollancz (SFGateway) has exclusive rights for digital distribution in the UK and Australia for the next 3 years, with the exception of the mysteries (which are exclusively available worldwide from Spatterlight Press - which is owned by John Vance). If you absolutely want the Spatterlight Press versions, find someone outside UK or Australia to buy the books for you. Since they're DRM-free anyone can buy the books and send them to you by mail.
Arjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #18
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
when you find out, let me know. I'd buy EVERYTHING that would be available.
Go to Kobo. You'll find a lot of them. Not all, mind you, but those which have been published by the SF Gateway.
Amazon should have the same ones.
Pity they cannot be bought using the usual Kobo discounts.
I am seriously thinking about them too.....
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #19
Arjen
Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
Go to Kobo. You'll find a lot of them. Not all, mind you, but those which have been published by the SF Gateway.
Amazon should have the same ones.
With the exception of all mysteries and with DRM. Spatterlight Press editions are DRM-free and are imho better formatted.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #20
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I was generally supportive of the SFGateway project - it was bringing a lot of books back into print that otherwise wouldn't be available - but I'm much less pleased if they are stopping me getting a cheaper, better (DRM-free) version. The SFG editions are based on the same VIE originals, though, as I understand it.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #21
Arjen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I was generally supportive of the SFGateway project - it was bringing a lot of books back into print that otherwise wouldn't be available - but I'm much less pleased if they are stopping me getting a cheaper, better (DRM-free) version. The SFG editions are based on the same VIE originals, though, as I understand it.
Yes, they are, although during the process of creating the Spatterlight Press editions, several additional corrections were made to the VIE texts. Also, the maps in the Spatterlight Press editions were specifically created for the ebooks, based on the originals from the VIE and the cover art is better imho.

BTW: it's not SFGateway that's stopping you from getting another version though: the Vance estate gave Orion exclusive epublishing rights for the UK and territories and Australia for the next several years. This means that the Spatterlight Press editions won't be available in those countries for that time, but if you're determined there are always ways around that.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #22
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
If I was on death row and could choose either one last meal of any kind or a Jack Vance book I had never read, though I don't think that is possible, there is no doubt but that I would stay up all night reading.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #23
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjen View Post
With the exception of all mysteries and with DRM. Spatterlight Press editions are DRM-free and are imho better formatted.
I had a look, but I believe there are more of them in both Amazon and Kobo. I do not see the Demon Princes series or the Dying Earth or Tschai.
Am I wrong ?
Old 03-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #24
Arjen

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
I had a look, but I believe there are more of them in both Amazon and Kobo. I do not see the Demon Princes series or the Dying Earth or Tschai.
Am I wrong ?
No, you're right. Right now, there are 17 titles for sale on jackvance.com (11 mysteries, 3 Alastor titles, the first 2 Tschai novels and Emphyrio). All other novels and short stories will appear on jackvance.com in the coming months. Most novels have been converted to ebook format, but there is some additional work to be done before they can be released (like proofreading, cover art, maps). The expectation is that by this summer all of Jack Vance's work will be available on jackvance.com in ebook format. If you follow SpatterlightPrs on twitter you'll be notified as soon as new titles appear.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #25
Arjen

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
If I was on death row and could choose either one last meal of any kind or a Jack Vance book I had never read, though I don't think that is possible, there is no doubt but that I would stay up all night reading.
Did you also read all of Jack Vance's mysteries? They have always been pretty hard to find.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #26
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Did you also read all of Jack Vance's mysteries? They have always been pretty hard to find.
Over time I have collected every Vance book and story I could find. Even some bad ones. Most all of them were sci-fi-fantasy. I don't recall mysteries per se, but I am not typically a mystery reader or writer. I think I have all the sci-fi ones stored down in the basement, including some in the magazines. I loved the old Ace doubles when I was a kid.

Originally I was getting paper back even ordering what was not on the News Stand. Later with the internet, I searched more. Every now and then I do another search just to see if I missed something. I suppose I should go to these sites that are being talked about.

Perhaps I will find another
Iucounu the Laughing Magician
"I am Chun the Unavoidable"
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #27
Arjen

Foreverness has a list of the contents of the VIE, which is about everything Jack Vance ever wrote. All of these will become available on jackvance.com in the coming months as well. You'll find the list here: http://www.integralarchive.org/biblio-1.htm
Old 03-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #28
brudigia
Evangelist

Quote:
No, you're right. Right now, there are 17 titles for sale on jackvance.com (11 mysteries, 3 Alastor titles, the first 2 Tschai novels and Emphyrio). All other novels and short stories will appear on jackvance.com in the coming months. Most novels have been converted to ebook format, but there is some additional work to be done before they can be released (like proofreading, cover art, maps). The expectation is that by this summer all of Jack Vance's work will be available on jackvance.com in ebook format. If you follow SpatterlightPrs on twitter you'll be notified as soon as new titles appear.
Thanks. I'll just do it.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #29
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
For Jack Vance fans, and for casual readers.

The Planet of Adventure series and the Demon Prices series (plus 6 collections of short stories) are now available on the splatterlight press website.

Check it out lest Eia Panice smile in you direction...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #30
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
This really made my week. I love his work and I think I read almost everything. In dutch I already have everything in ePUB (scanned my own copies), but this is great.
Not so good for my bank account... They are reasonably priced, but the sheer amount... Oh well, 14 down... a lot to go.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote