Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by meromana View Post
I've been very happy with WriteWay Pro (www.writewaypro.com), which I think is pretty similar to yWriter, but is not free. It's fifty or sixty bucks for the Pro version, I think. One feature it does not have, though, that I would like, is "smart quotes". WriteWay only has the neutral quotes, and I'd really like to have the lefties and righties at my fingertips while I'm composing, so I don't have to worry about them later. Does anybody know if yWriter offers that feature?

Thanks,
Maria

I own WriteWay Pro, and can say that it is a wonderful program.

The use of Smart Quotes has been available for quite some time in the current version (1.8).

Do this:

Go to "Book Properties," then to "Composition & Notes." One can then toggle Smart Quotes on. (However, it's NOT retroactive. It only works when you turn it on.)

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-24-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #17
Grierson Huffman
Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Too many!
I also use Scrivener. The longer I work with it, the more I appreciate it, which is quite opposite my feelings about most software.
Grierson Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #18
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I own WriteWay Pro, and can say that it is a wonderful program.

The use of Smart Quotes has been available for quite some time in the current version (1.8).

Don
Dang! I feel like such an idiot. Now that you bring it up, I remember seeing that when I upgraded to 1.8, but I already had most of the book done at the time, and didn't want to go back and retrofit. At least I know I can turn them on in my new book and not have to do it after-the-fact in Word (which will retrofit smart quotes).

Thanks for pointing it out, Don!

--Maria
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #19
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
some LaTeX XeTeX distro?
gives you good output, glossary, foot-endnotes and bibliography management

Last edited by Freeshadow; 09-03-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:23 AM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I have Snowflake Pro which isn't cheap but it works. I got it during the original release period when it was just $20.00 Now it's about $100.00 but on occasion the author has had it down to half that if you have purchased the Dummies book that he wrote with another author through amazon and such. Another thing that's good for organization is Tiddlywiki. It's a wiki file that you can use to create links to different parts of the document. It's also portable so you can have it on a flash drive to take with you rather than having to lug a computer around everywhere.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:06 PM   #21
Enchantlee
Enchantlee knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Enchantlee knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Enchantlee knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Enchantlee knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Enchantlee knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Enchantlee knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Enchantlee knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Enchantlee knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Enchantlee knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Enchantlee knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Enchantlee knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: I wanna Kindle.
I like open office but the only problem with it is the spell checker and that it doesn't have a punctuation checker like Word does. Most of the newer computers don't come with word, I don't know why.
Enchantlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:35 PM   #22
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchantlee View Post
Most of the newer computers don't come with word, I don't know why.
Simple licensing. Wordpad is included as part of the operating system; Word is not (nor is any aspect of Microsoft Office).

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:06 PM   #23
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
for the money t office and win licences actually cost i can pay an additional netbook.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #24
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I've been using yWriter since it was suggested here, and I love it. Given that my previous system involved text files full of disorganized notes, I'd probably love anything, so that may not be saying much, but having my character details, etc., neatly organized instead of slopped all over three different files (and probably contradictory in two of them) is a good thing.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:18 AM   #25
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
I'll post programs that are available free of charge, as is my custom.

Text Editors:
Notepad2
Notepad++
EditPad Lite
NoteTab Light
Crimson Editor

Word Processors:
OpenOffice.org
AbiWord

LaTeX Related:
MiKTeX
Texmaker
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:47 AM   #26
TLHaddix
Author, wife, reader.
TLHaddix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TLHaddix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TLHaddix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TLHaddix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TLHaddix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TLHaddix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TLHaddix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TLHaddix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TLHaddix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TLHaddix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TLHaddix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I just found this open-source program called Jarte. It's pretty neat - runs off the Wordpad engine (I think), and I'm planning on starting my next fiction work on it instead of Word. We'll see how it turns out. It is a completely different format than what I have used.
TLHaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:14 AM   #27
M. R. Mathias
Banned
M. R. Mathias has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle k3, PC
I wrote my novels with a red pen. It saved the editor a lot of trouble (All of my novels are 225k words plus) I used Speech recognition software to get them into MSWord then I spent months changing 'heard' to 'her' and about a hundred other similar sounding words.

Heres a TIP.

If you write fantasy and have alot of uncommon or made up names in your book dont use speech recognition or your in for a lot of grief....

He's not laughing, he's crying.

If you didn't notice this is the thread's ironic comedy break.
M. R. Mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #28
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White, Max Carta
Jarte. I have been using the free version for months now.
I always liked the simplicity of WordPad, but I missed a spelling checker in it.

Jarte is WordPad with a spelling checker. The free version lets you spell check text you already typed, and the paid version also lets you check while you type.

(I prefer to check the spelling after I write the text, so the free version is fine for me.)

The spelling checker always offers a list of alternative words while you are correcting.

Last edited by Lode; 09-17-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:24 AM   #29
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Interesting title this thread has - less generous folk (like me) may wonder mmmm

"Software for writing books ...." instead of the more correct

"Software for writing books on (/in) .... "

another comedy break - onwards !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #30
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
One I like is "Snowflake Pro" which isn't free (or cheap), but sometimes they have a discount on the author's site for 50% off. I got mine for just $20.00 but it was when the program was in its initial release last year. Normally it retails on Randy Ingermanson's site for $100.00 for a copy. Very good for organizing your work before actual writing though.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote